ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

What one person thinks they're saying and what other people are actually hearing can be wildly different things. I agree with your point, but the way BF communicated it left the door wide open for anyone, including JL, to hear "Joey Labas isn't very good." He should know better, especially after the situation with Hogan, and just said something like "fans always love the backup QB" and left it at that.

I think it's pretty clear what Brian was saying. He was not slamming Joe at all.

In the linked video clip below, I don't think anyone's jaws dropped when Brian said Joe was the most popular person in the program right now and that he will be until he plays. Brian then said Alex Padilla was also popular for a while...until he played. He said once a player plays it opens the door to criticism.

LINK to that Video Clip, so you can see/hear for yourself:

Reactions: sober_teacher
What one person thinks they're saying and what other people are actually hearing can be wildly different things. I agree with your point, but the way BF communicated it left the door wide open for anyone, including JL, to hear "Joey Labas isn't very good." He should know better, especially after the situation with Hogan, and just said something like "fans always love the backup QB" and left it at that.
This is just a dumb take.

I think it's pretty clear what Brian was saying. He was not slamming Joe at all.

In the linked video clip below, I don't think anyone's jaws dropped when Brian said Joe was the most popular person in the program right now and that he will be until he plays. Brian then said Alex Padilla was also popular for a while...until he played. He said once a player plays it opens the door to criticism.

LINK to that Video Clip, so you can see/hear for yourself:

What the hell is this, context? What exactly are you trying to do here?

God some of our fans are morons.

Reactions: Frosty7130
At the end of this post is a link to Wed's HawkCentral podcast with Des Moines Register beat writers Chad Leistikow & Kenny Smith.

There's a lot of good stuff there.

Things that they discussed that stood out:

Joe Labas did not arrive until June & spent the entire fall running opponents' offenses on the scout team.

Joe got reps in bowl prep.

Now, coming into spring, Joe simply does not have the experience and knowledge that Spencer & Alex have.

Kenny said that the the staff wants to get Joe up to speed and on equal footing with Spencer & Alex so that they can truly see who is the best.

Kenny thinks Joe is in 3rd place RIGHT NOW but the staff is not counting Joe out.

Chad and Kenny made it clear that the offense is not changing, whether the fans like it or not. Apparently it still takes 18 months to learn the offense based on what Chad said.

Chad and Kenny discussed that Joe has been in the program 10 months. Spencer is a 5th year senior and is in great shape & is down 8 lbs.

Spencer's QB coach, Tony Racioppi, has helped him fix his mechanics.

Spencer has a good relationship with Brian Ferentz.

The staff wants/hopes Spencer takes that next step and takes hold of the QB job. Whether that jump happens for Spencer remains to be seen.

Brian is the QB coach but Kenny said Brian is being very self aware and is relying on Ken O'Keefe and the new analyst that they brought in.

Kenny said Brian is extremely motivated to get the offense right.

LINK TO THE FULL PODCAST:

Lol, there's no way SP isn't our starting QB this fall. I think saying it's an open competition is just to appease. KF is going to start the guy he wants to start, and it's going to be the guy who A) has seniority; B) is a known commodity on gameday; C) is the safest play in terms of not forcing mistakes or creating turnovers.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly and happily be here eating crow.

see the previous post. it's clearly not about seniority.

At the end of this post is a link to Wed's HawkCentral podcast with Des Moines Register beat writers Chad Leistikow & Kenny Smith.

There's a lot of good stuff there.

Things that they discussed that stood out:

Joe Labas did not arrive until June & spent the entire fall running opponents' offenses on the scout team.

Joe got reps in bowl prep.

Now, coming into spring, Joe simply does not have the experience and knowledge that Spencer & Alex have.

Kenny said that the the staff wants to get Joe up to speed and on equal footing with Spencer & Alex so that they can truly see who is the best.

Kenny thinks Joe is in 3rd place RIGHT NOW but the staff is not counting Joe out.

Chad and Kenny made it clear that the offense is not changing, whether the fans like it or not. Apparently it still takes 18 months to learn the offense based on what Chad said.

Chad and Kenny discussed that Joe has been in the program 10 months. Spencer is a 5th year senior and is in great shape & is down 8 lbs.

Spencer's QB coach, Tony Racioppi, has helped him fix his mechanics.

Spencer has a good relationship with Brian Ferentz.

The staff wants/hopes Spencer takes that next step and takes hold of the QB job. Whether that jump happens for Spencer remains to be seen.

Brian is the QB coach but Kenny said Brian is being very self aware and is relying on Ken O'Keefe and the new analyst that they brought in.

Kenny said Brian is extremely motivated to get the offense right.

LINK TO THE FULL PODCAST:

I kinda wonder if people forgot that Labas wasn’t an early arrival last spring, that this is his first spring practice. Barring either Spencer or Padilla having an absolutely transcendent spring I don’t expect to see a starter named at the end of camp. It would surprise me greatly if that happens if only because I do also expect Labas to narrow the gap by the end of spring.

I kinda wonder if people forgot that Labas wasn’t an early arrival last spring, that this is his first spring practice. Barring either Spencer or Padilla having an absolutely transcendent spring I don’t expect to see a starter named at the end of camp. It would surprise me greatly if that happens if only because I do also expect Labas to narrow the gap by the end of spring.

i admit I forgot Joe has only been on campus 10 months

the QB competition is definitely going to the fall based on what Chad and Kenny said

i admit I forgot Joe has only been on campus 10 months

the QB competition is definitely going to the fall based on what Chad and Kenny said
Yeah I always kinda figured that unless someone lights the world on fire this month.

to me, Padilla is the favorite, and honestly a longer shot for Petras than for Labas to win the job. Love the guy, wish him nothing but the best, but that would be asking a lot to start him over Alex or Joey and not expect a ton of pushback. If that happens and Petras isn’t GREAT, lookout.

Yeah I always kinda figured that unless someone lights the world on fire this month.

to me, Padilla is the favorite, and honestly a longer shot for Petras than for Labas to win the job. Love the guy, wish him nothing but the best, but that would be asking a lot to start him over Alex or Joey and not expect a ton of pushback. If that happens and Petras isn’t GREAT, lookout.
That's not how practice reports are going. If anything, Padilla is in danger of being 3rd come fall.

i haven’t been following those much. Is that Labas doing better than expected, or Padilla underperforming?
Little of A, little of B

Have some buddies who were at the open practice for the coaches clinic last weekend, and all of them said that Petras was the clear #1, with Padilla struggling and Labas closing the gap.

Someone on another site said it better, but this is likely a battle in 2 parts: spring determines who's #2 behind Petras going into fall camp, and fall is the real battle for the #1 spot.

Little of A, little of B

Have some buddies who were at the open practice for the coaches clinic last weekend, and all of them said that Petras was the clear #1, with Padilla struggling and Labas closing the gap.

Someone on another site said it better, but this is likely a battle in 2 parts: spring determines who's #2 behind Petras going into fall camp, and fall is the real battle for the #1 spot.
I could see that.

I would still be stunned if Petras started week 1. I have to think the coaches someone makes the decision easy for them. Worst outcome is if Petras stays the starter by default because Labas/Padilla didn’t move the needle.

I could see that.

I would still be stunned if Petras started week 1. I have to think the coaches someone makes the decision easy for them. Worst outcome is if Petras stays the starter by default because Labas/Padilla didn’t move the needle.
You should be expecting him to (I expect Labas will make it a conversation by week 4 or 5), but how would that be the "worst" outcome?

If Labas or Padilla don't get it done, they don't get it done. One is a guy who is currently going through his first spring ball, the other is one who couldn't take the reins when given the opportunity last fall. As bad as Petras is, it can't be overlooked that we're still 12-6 with him as the QB. It probably lowers the ceiling on the 2022 season, but it doesn't lower the floor.

And who knows. They said it last year too, but early reports are promising for him. Maybe the unthinkable happens and he turns it around. Priority #1 is still the OL IMO.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You should be expecting him to (I expect Labas will make it a conversation by week 4 or 5), but how would that be the "worst" outcome?

If Labas or Padilla don't get it done, they don't get it done. One is a guy who is currently going through his first spring ball, the other is one who couldn't take the reins when given the opportunity last fall. As bad as Petras is, it can't be overlooked that we're still 12-6 with him as the QB. It probably lowers the ceiling on the 2022 season, but it doesn't lower the floor.

And who knows. They said it last year too, but early reports are promising for him. Maybe the unthinkable happens and he turns it around. Priority #1 is still the OL IMO.
Worst in terms of from a fans perspective. Social media will become toxic if Petras starts and doesn’t play well. Last fall I never expected Padilla to win the job from him, though he clearly closed the gap quite a bit.

petras annoys me from the aspect that I think he physically has the tools to play quarterback, but has consistently struggled when plays don’t proceed on schedule. Padilla looked like more of a gamer but was inconsistent when he played. Labas, the only thing we know is what’s been reported, tho it’s very unusual that a RS frosh was listed on the depth chart like he was. Tells me this competition is legit for that spot. I just don’t want it to be a situation where Petras wins the spot by default. If he does, let it be because he genuinely took a leap. Everything I’ve heard about him says he’s a good guy so I don’t wish him ill at all.

Reactions: iowaflash

I think Spencer's issues are all mental.

Worst in terms of from a fans perspective. Social media will become toxic if Petras starts and doesn’t play well. Last fall I never expected Padilla to win the job from him, though he clearly closed the gap quite a bit.

petras annoys me from the aspect that I think he physically has the tools to play quarterback, but has consistently struggled when plays don’t proceed on schedule. Padilla looked like more of a gamer but was inconsistent when he played. Labas, the only thing we know is what’s been reported, tho it’s very unusual that a RS frosh was listed on the depth chart like he was. Tells me this competition is legit for that spot. I just don’t want it to be a situation where Petras wins the spot by default. If he does, let it be because he genuinely took a leap. Everything I’ve heard about him says he’s a good guy so I don’t wish him ill at all.
In all honesty, how much worse will social media be then what we've seen the last two years if Petras starts. Short of showing up and setting Kinnick on fire pretty much every crappy post that can be made about SP, the coaches, etc.. has already been put out there.

In all honesty, how much worse will social media be then what we've seen the last two years if Petras starts. Short of showing up and setting Kinnick on fire pretty much every crappy post that can be made about SP, the coaches, etc.. has already been put out there.
I know, I know. I’m a glass is half-full guy who dreams of being able to retire his 48 hour rule of avoiding social media after a loss.

I want Petras, or whoever ends up starting, to do well, because if that happens it likely means we’re winning more football games. There were times this past season it really seemed like some people on the board weren’t happy unless Iowa loses and they can let loose at Kirk, Brian and co. IowaLaw guy in particular seems to delight in his post game analyses after Iowa losses, and even in the ones after wins you’d think we lost based on what he brings up.

I completely disagree, which I think shows how chaotic the QB situation really is. Two people with workable knowledge of the subject, look at the same two players and come to completely different conclusions.

This isn't a Joe Montana/Steve Young close call either. Neither Spencer or Alex are very good. For my part, very ready to move on. Might get shitty play but at least it will be from a kid with room to grow that we haven't already seen fail-repeatedly.

Lol, there's no way SP isn't our starting QB this fall. I think saying it's an open competition is just to appease. KF is going to start the guy he wants to start, and it's going to be the guy who A) has seniority; B) is a known commodity on gameday; C) is the safest play in terms of not forcing mistakes or creating turnovers.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly and happily be here eating crow.
You’re not wrong

I completely disagree, which I think shows how chaotic the QB situation really is. Two people with workable knowledge of the subject, look at the same two players and come to completely different conclusions.

This isn't a Joe Montana/Steve Young close call either. Neither Spencer or Alex are very good. For my part, very ready to move on. Might get shitty play but at least it will be from a kid with room to grow that we haven't already seen fail-repeatedly.

Padilla at least there’s more we don’t know than for Petras. 3 games isn’t enough to completely close the book on him yet.

I too would like to see what Labas has to offer. But there’s too much talent in the rest of the team to essentially sacrifice a year unless Petras and Padilla both show us absolutely nothing in the spring.

Reactions: iowaflash
That's not how practice reports are going. If anything, Padilla is in danger of being 3rd come fall.

i haven’t been following those much. Is that Labas doing better than expected, or Padilla underperforming?

Yeah, all the talk and what's been written has been about 5th year Petras and Labas, who has only been in the program 10 months but the coaches are trying to get him up to speed with everything

The coaches are really hoping Spencer takes that next step but it seems, based on their comments, that it's pretty hard to ignore Joe's talent

I don't know if it's Alex underperforming as much as Labas really standing out

Reactions: jamhawk

The OL and DL is where it all starts. If you are weak in either, you are going to have problems.

I wonder if Spencer performs well in practice because he knows he won't be hit.

In games, of course, he has happy feet under pressure and throws balls into the ground or WAY out of bounds when the WR is wide open.

As I stated before, I think it's all mental for him. He can work on mechanics all he wants with Tony Racioppi, his QB coach, but making the throws in live game action is what matters.

Tells me this competition is legit for that spot. I just don’t want it to be a situation where Petras wins the spot by default. If he does, let it be because he genuinely took a leap. Everything I’ve heard about him says he’s a good guy so I don’t wish him ill at all.

I do believe the coaches when they says its an open competition and like you said, it's very unusual for KF (historically) to list 3 QBs on his TWO deeps.

Spencer has all the advantages. Joe has only been on campus for 10 months. This is Spencer's 5th year. He's a 2 year starter. You would think Spencer would/should have a firm grasp of QB1...but he doesn't.

I don't think Petras simply wins the job by default. Just remember, Brian said the staff wants to get Joe up to speed and on equal footing with Spencer & Alex so that they can truly see who is the best.

Padilla at least there’s more we don’t know than for Petras. 3 games isn’t enough to completely close the book on him yet.

I too would like to see what Labas has to offer. But there’s too much talent in the rest of the team to essentially sacrifice a year unless Petras and Padilla both show us absolutely nothing in the spring.
Well, first priority is the player that gives you the best chance to win the next game. Totally agree.

But we do know the coaches tried to unseat Spencer last season. Alex had the job and then lost again to Spencer. I think they are still looking for someone better.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Well, first priority is the player that gives you the best chance to win the next game. Totally agree.

But we do know the coaches tried to unseat Spencer last season. Alex had the job and then lost again to Spencer. I think they are still looking for someone better.

It’s a shame you can’t just combine the two of them into one qb, I think you’d have a solid one between the two of them. Spencer has the stronger arm and knowledge of the offense, Padilla moves better in the pocket and feels pressure better as well.

If Labas between now and week 1 is even close to the other two I think they have to start him. For either Petras or to a lesser extent Padilla t ok win the job I think it will be because there was still clear separation from Labas.

And I believe Brian when he said QB1 won't be decided until the fall.

May the most talented QB win.

100%. When he has a clean pocket and the play is on schedule, I think he can make every throw. It’s when the play gets off schedule, be it from a blitz, confused by coverage, collapsing pocket, etc., that he has gotten into trouble and becomes inaccurate.

If I were Spencer's family, I would be investing in a sports psychologist.

Heck they are are already spending money sending him to a QB coach

If I were Spencer's family, I would be investing in a sports psychologist.

Heck they are are already spending money sending him to a QB coach
I mentioned a while back, I wish that QB coach would spend at least some of their sessions on throwing off schedule or when someone is immediately in his face when he has to throw.

Possibly the 1st time I’ve ever agreed with you!

Let’s hope that Brian and the more talented people around him figure out as soon as possible that “it’s the system, stupid“, not the people who are forced to subsist within The silly complexity.

OCCAM’S RAZOR, BRIAN!!!!!!!!

A talented coach would continue to make modifications within the system so that someone who clearly has more gifts in real game time situation‘s, not being some kind of practice God veteran Who is super great at playing within a system but as soon as any variable changes he turtles.

it is obvious to everyone on the team except a couple of coaches that one quarterback has heads and tails more talent than the others, and so the system needs to be modified around him, maybe the playbook cut by a third or something, Temporarily, but will it happen? Have we learned hear that father and son coach ever admit they’ve made a mistake?

truly great leaders are unafraid to admit they make mistakes, make obvious changes and adapt to the world around them, and they empower people around them to be themselves, their best selves, and succeed individually and as a team.

Here, we’ve pretty much just heard “that’s football”. Totally untrue. And a total abdication of responsibility. A great coach has
the stones to take responsibility, listen, see reality, learn change and grow, and inspire and empower the team to do the same, and I hope one day we will have a great coach and a great leader.

Or at least a coach who decides to act like one.

Reactions: littlez
It seems pretty clear from the interviews w/the players they like what they see from Labas. Experience counts for something, but only to a point. A few different things went on last season, Spencer got dinged up, Padilla got a few games to show some things and then Petras came back. Spencer was decent the 1st half of the season and flat out bad the 2nd half of the year. He's afraid to make a play. I keep hearing about a clean pocket. Of course it's great when your QB has all day to pass and can survey the field for 4-5 seconds. In real game time that doesn't happen much. I'd love to see Labas truly make a run at the position. History tells us Petras will be the starter come day 1.

It seems pretty clear from the interviews w/the players they like what they see from Labas.

This is pretty spot on. I have noticed the mentions of Joe as well. That kind of loose talk is very unusual at Iowa, by coaches and players. I think this is going to turn out to be a Ricky Stanzi thing. Still think Joe will start the first game but hedging by maybe not starting until game 3.

Keagan Johnson's interview was interesting. "Command in the huddle", "makes things happen", etc... Certainly supported the SEP gossip about the younger offensive players kind of coalescing around Joe. Also not the kind of thing you hear out of Iowa, motto is loose lips sink ships.

I think the coaches want to move on as well, as I've said. But they also need to ensure Joe isn't a spaz when sees the field. I can see wisdom in getting some downs played before running out as a starter.​

Reactions: kceasthawk
It seems pretty clear from the interviews w/the players they like what they see from Labas. Experience counts for something, but only to a point. A few different things went on last season, Spencer got dinged up, Padilla got a few games to show some things and then Petras came back. Spencer was decent the 1st half of the season and flat out bad the 2nd half of the year. He's afraid to make a play. I keep hearing about a clean pocket. Of course it's great when your QB has all day to pass and can survey the field for 4-5 seconds. In real game time that doesn't happen much. I'd love to see Labas truly make a run at the position. History tells us Petras will be the starter come day 1.

Brian has said that they were working on getting Joe on the same page as Spencer & Alex. If the offense has been made less complex, that would be one way of accomplishing that.

and the fact that they will not decide on QB1 until the fall tells me all I need to know about our 5th year guy (Spencer) and the guy who's only been on campus 10 months (Labas)

ADVERTISEMENT