ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

OK Frani I took the bait.

Two things that will not happen for the Hawkeye opener this fall:

1. It will snow 6" that day.
2. Spencer will not start as the Hawkeye QB.

Will he start every game this year? Dunno, time will tell.

Reactions: David1979
OK Frani I took the bait.

Two things that will not happen for the Hawkeye opener this fall:

1. It will snow 6" that day.
2. Spencer will not start as the Hawkeye QB.

Will he start every game this year? Dunno, time will tell.
There's no doubt in my mind he starts on opening day.

Question is: will we lose a QB to the portal after spring ball as some have suggested?
Hope not.

Question is: will we lose a QB to the portal after spring ball as some have suggested?
Hope not.
No, that's all pure conjecture by people on here. Petras and Padilla have both outright said they're not transferring, and Labas isn't leaving in just his 2nd year. Especially when he keeps getting pointed to as the future.

Well, Joe's completion rate was 1.000 averaged 14.6 per attempt and had a good arm on deeper passes and what was described as "a good throw on the TD". Kirk usually has nothing to say about the #3 QB. Kirk has poured more praise on Joe than any other reserve QB, especially a #3.

Still think that we'll see Joe in the first two games and he emerges as the starter by game 3.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Well, Joe's completion rate was 1.000 averaged 14.6 per attempt and had a good arm on deeper passes and what was described as "a good throw on the TD". Kirk usually has nothing to say about the #3 QB. Kirk has poured more praise on Joe than any other reserve QB, especially a #3.

Still think that we'll see Joe in the first two games and he emerges as the starter by game 3.

Here's some highlights from today:

Here's some highlights from today:

I was really looking forward to the 51 seconds of Labas highlights but those were pretty underwhelming, and I for one truly hope that he is the answer at quarterback. He made the one dime downfield, but other than that everything was 5-10 yard outs with soft corner play and the throw away in the end zone. He is quick getting away from center but was basically sacked twice in that tape (granted playing with the 3s). His arm strength appears to be average at best and put very little on it going to his left. I know we are very hungry for someone to emerge as a solid quarterback but don't know that he is the answer at this point in time.

i’m feeling it too deplorable and I’m not sure why but it is a real reach for KF to talk about third string anything let alone quarterback…

I think he keeps saying things like he’s still learning etc. etc. because he’s trying to keep the pressure off

i’m feeling it too deplorable and I’m not sure why but it is a real reach for KF to talk about third string anything let alone quarterback…

I think he keeps saying things like he’s still learning etc. etc. because he’s trying to keep the pressure off

Also gives Spencer a sense that it's not over but he is facing tougher competition than he ever felt from Alex.

I heard an interesting bit of intel (or maybe BS) today. A repitition of an earlier thing I heard from an SEP related guy that the younger offensive players were committing to no contact no coaches "throw and go" on a local field. The new part was Richman and Logan were talking about this with Joe and Gavin Saturday and Richman said to to let him know when and where and they will have an O line there as well.

Heard it from a guy that's been right about some past team stuff and wrong about a couple others and is in a position to know players. On the other hand, ... FWIW. Just passing along.​

I heard an interesting bit of intel (or maybe BS) today. A repitition of an earlier thing I heard from an SEP related guy that the younger offensive players were committing to no contact no coaches "throw and go" on a local field. The new part was Richman and Logan were talking about this with Joe and Gavin Saturday and Richman said to to let him know when and where and they will have an O line there as well.

Heard it from a guy that's been right about some past team stuff and wrong about a couple others and is in a position to know players. On the other hand, ... FWIW. Just passing along.​

What is "SEP related guy?"

By the time Labas is a starter, fans will be griping about him playing because they will be clammoring to see Marco Lainez instead.
False.

The old "most popular guy on the team is the backup QB" cliche' is B.S. It's only true when the starter is stinking it up. Nobody calls for the backup when the starter is hot and the team winning.

Reactions: DewHawk and dadster
Drew Tate was pretty good. Didn’t stop plenty of fans from calling for Christensen during Tate’s senior year at the first sign of trouble. Yes, it happened. A lot.
That’s because he was sucking. Pretty sure it was because of his injury, but he was not playing well. That’s when fans think #2 should be #1. They are usually wrong, but if Iowa is getting great QB play, nobody is asking for #2. If Labas is really good, we won’t hear any calls for May, Lainez, next guy.

Nobody clamored for Jason Manson in 2004

Nobody clamored for Nathan Chandler in 2002

Nobody for Vandenberg in 2009

Nobody for Ruddock? in 2011

Nobody for “I don’t remember” in 2015

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT