ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa QB coach Ken O’Keefe called on Ricky Stanzi to get his thoughts on 2021 QB Joey Labas.

“The first thing I saw was his quick release,” Stanzi said. “When I see a quick release, those are hard to come by, and it’s really hard to teach. When I saw it’s already there, I’m like, ‘This is beautiful.’”

“I signed off on (Labas) right away. I think he’s got that moxie. It’s sort of hard to put in a stat. But he has the ability to make a play, stretch the field, and get rid of the ball quick. He’s got that athletic ability that allows him to improvise. The highlights I saw, I really liked.”

LINK TO THE FREE STORY: https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/stanzi-labas-062420

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z

Last edited:
didn't read the story--too lazy. Is Ricky coaching somewhere because I would guess he would be a good one.

"Stanzi currently works with the GOATA (Greatest Of All Time Athletes) locomotion system. His job wouldn’t necessarily be to tweak Labas’ arm mechanics, though. With GOATA, Stanzi focuses his attention on how energy moves throughout the body (specifically in footwork) and hones in the most efficient methods.

Stanzi utilizes slow-motion video to break down athletes’ strides and planting motion, and that’s what he’d like to do with Labas."

Iowa QB coach Ken O’Keefe called on Ricky Stanzi to get his thoughts on 2021 QB Joey Labas.

“The first thing I saw was his quick release,” Stanzi said. “When I see a quick release, those are hard to come by, and it’s really hard to teach. When I saw it’s already there, I’m like, ‘This is beautiful.’”

“I signed off on (Labas) right away. I think he’s got that moxie. It’s sort of hard to put in a stat. But he has the ability to make a play, stretch the field, and get rid of the ball quick. He’s got that athletic ability that allows him to improvise. The highlights I saw, I really liked.”

LINK TO THE FREE STORY: https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/stanzi-labas-062420

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z

Thanks for that link. Very good read and I wonder if Ricky might make it on the Iowa staff someday.

I think it is interesting that the fans high on Stanley always referred to stats and Stanzi says stats are OK but the real measure of a QB is making plays with a quick release and the ability to improvise and spread the field.

I’ve watched Joey’s highlights a couple times now...I’m telling ya, the kid is a gamer. A lot to like with him and I wouldn’t count him out of any QB ‘race’ in the next few years imho.

Reactions: Destro33
I’m excited to see this kid on the field at Kinnick some day. However, someone needs to tell him we are The University of Iowa, not Iowa University.
Let’s go Hawks

Reactions: icsedge1

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z
I think Ricky is saying Joe has all the intangibles. I like that kind of QB.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT