ADVERTISEMENT

Joe T gone

It’s Fran’s fault that Joe doesn’t want to compete for the wide open PG spot? Ok.

Fans everywhere had better get used to temporary rosters. Teams are going to look different year over year.

I don’t think it’s good for CBB but overall but it’s beneficial to individual players.
Agreed. Expected this to be Ulis and not Toussaint. Not sure I understand working your way to a starting position for 3 years and then leaving when it's finally in your lap, but JT was probably capped at 25 mins per game next year so can understand if he wants more.

Sure hope the recruits this fall can step in quickly and capably.

Joe, like Bohannon, is a one dimensional player. Just at the other end of the court. His specialty is D, which as we all know is secondary to offense for Fran. That’s why he didn’t play more minutes. Connor didn’t cut into Joe’s minutes, Jordan did. Now that Jordan’s gone….well kind of an odd move imo but it goes back to Fran emphasizing O over D. Best of luck to Joe.

Agreed. Expected this to be Ulis and not Toussaint. Not sure I understand working your way to a starting position for 3 years and then leaving when it's finally in your lap, but JT was probably capped at 25 mins per game next year so can understand if he wants more.

Probably because ultra talented connor mccaffrey is coming back to take minutes of players who actually should be playing big ten basketball

Joe, like Bohannon, is a one dimensional player. Just at the other end of the court. His specialty is D, which as we all know is secondary to offense for Fran. That’s why he didn’t play more minutes. Connor didn’t cut into Joe’s minutes, Jordan did. Now that Jordan’s gone….well kind of an odd move imo but it goes back to Fran emphasizing O over D. Best of luck to Joe.
A great perimeter defender who can beat people off the dribble. Give me a freakin break.

um… love Joe T he’s a hell of a hawk and his attitude was unreal especially in this day and age but Iowa got better when he went to the bench.
Did Fran try much Perkins and Toussaint this year? The reason I say this, is because I believe Perkins was just as much of a reason that Iowa finished well, rather than Bohannon.

One also has to wonder what Rebraca, Murray, Murray, Perkins and Toussaint would have looked like if they were named starters from day one.

Joe T was never given a fair shake. He had the shortest leash I’ve ever seen. That anxiety no doubt carried over into his play on the court, as he often tried to do too much.

I’m surprised Joe didn’t leave after last year, tbh. I don’t know that this is a bad thing for Iowa basketball, though, as it should pave the way for this Bowen we’ve heard so much about to earn his way into meaningful minutes.

Joe T was never given a fair shake. He had the shortest leash I’ve ever seen. That anxiety no doubt carried over into his play on the court, as he often tried to do too much.

I’m surprised Joe didn’t leave after last year, tbh. I don’t know that this is a bad thing for Iowa basketball, though, as it should pave the way for this Bowen we’ve heard so much about to earn his way into meaningful minutes.
We may disagree on the why but Joe T just never fully developed. I hope he kills it wherever he lands.

This is a good point. To get to that “next level” it’s essential that your PG can do it all. Like I said previously, our PG play was flawed because they were all one dimensional.
Yep. There were a lot of things I liked about Joe, but he didn’t move the needle in comparison to other Fran pgs. And that’s really where we’re still at in the Fran era: waiting on a difference maker at pg.

um… love Joe T he’s a hell of a hawk and his attitude was unreal especially in this day and age but Iowa got better when he went to the bench.

Correct.

On Jan 31, Iowa lost at Penn State 90-86 in double OT. Iowa's record after that game was 14-7, 4-6.

On Feb 6,
vs Minnesota, Fran made 2 changes:

(1) Jordan was back at starting Point Guard (Joe came off the bench)

(2) Tony Perkins was the new starting 2 guard.

The result of this change?

* Iowa won 12 of 14 and had a record of 26-9 entering the NCAA Tournament.

* Iowa won a B1G Tournament Championship for the first time since 2006.

* Iowa got a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament

What makes you think the starting position was his for the taking?

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Need to add another guard now since Dix might not be ready for the start of the season. Only have Ulis, Perkins and Bowen as true guards going into next season.

Reactions: Sheahawk
We may disagree on the why but Joe T just never fully developed. I hope he kills it wherever he lands.
I don’t think there’s much of a why to disagree on. Joe T was flashy and quick, but he was a turnover liability and a below average shooter. What he did excel at is defense, which I felt separated him from the other pg options Iowa had.

I understand why Fran benched him. Joe T is an average P5 player. My contention, in terms of the fair shake, is the other option Fran favored over him—and extended a lot of grace to—was not better in terms of overall productivity. Perhaps there will be where our disagreement lies.

The part that made Joe so hard to play was his poor decision making at times on the offensive end. I don't have any stats but I would say he led the team by far in turnovers per minutes played. Fran values players that don't turn it over. I loved his energy, this team needed this in a bad way, but not good enough offensively. He also found himself penetrating too deep and finding nowhere to go, and that is not Frans offense.

So the question is whether or not the benefits we experienced this year by moving Toussaint to the bench are worth more or less than the benefits we would have experienced by having Toussaint on the roster next year. I honestly don’t know the answer.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT