ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint Commits!!

It doesn't sound like he's a very good shooter...and I don't care in the least as long as his quickness, handles and passing translate to college. They don't need more shooting, they need someone to guard and get the ball to the shooters while they are open.
I hope this isn't true. I'm struggling to recall players making a big contribution without a decent shot. Gesell never scored over 8 points per game, but he was a scoring machine in HS. Though I'm not much of a diagnostician I thought his issues in college were mental/confidence. If he's a Gesell I'll be glad we got him. Michael Reaves?

I have no doubt last years team could have used a role player that's tough, with the quickness to defend major college guards. It seems that's what Fran was searching for with his later PG offers.

His film suggests a savvy use of his quickness by changing speeds often. He has a quick 1st, 2nd and even 3rd step. His crossover has great timing and rhythm. He is smooth & then he becomes herky-jerky.

P.S. I saw Joe at the game standing next to Greg Brunner’s oldest son and Brunner jr was taller.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackgoldmine
Wasn’t Yogi a McDonald’s AA? I’m pumped to have Toussaint aboard, but let’s Pump the brakes a little. I’m most excited about his in ball defense. Will bring some toughness to the defensive side that we haven’t seen for a while. Go Hawks!

I was thinking the same thing. Lol

Reactions: RocknRollface
Wasn’t Yogi a McDonald’s AA? I’m pumped to have Toussaint aboard, but let’s Pump the brakes a little. I’m most excited about his in ball defense. Will bring some toughness to the defensive side that we haven’t seen for a while. Go Hawks!
I don't think it should be taken that he is as good as Yogi but has the style of game. We need a quick lockdown defending point who can create.

Getting projects like this is a hard way to recruit for a Power 5 team. Most don't pan out.
He isn't tall and he might not be an elite outside shooter, but otherwise, JoeT looks like he fits the description of what we need. If he stays patient, he will have a year to learn from JBo and Connor, before we need big minutes from him or another PG.

Most guys who are three stars are projects. The guy scored about 5 points a game in AAU and doesn't appear to be a shooter.

Yeah he appears to be more of a distributor than a scorer. I hope we are all pleasantly surprised with Mr. Toussaint.

Most guys who are three stars are projects. The guy scored about 5 points a game in AAU and doesn't appear to be a shooter.

We don't need him to be a shooter, we have plenty of shooters. We need him to get into the lane, be a distributor and be a lock down defender. He appears to have the skillset for those things. He is the type of guard that typically gives us fits.

He also played on the same AAU team as Cole Anthony, the number 1 PG prospect, so I’m sure he deferred quite often. I’m not saying he’s going to come in and put up huge numbers right away but aau numbers can often be misleading.

Reactions: jasonrann
Given the interest by some very good teams, JoeT is far less of a project than JBo was coming out of HS. I just hope he enjoys the huge culture change he will be facing in Iowa City.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Good get by Fran number one. Does it come with some risk like the kid getting homesick and leaving? Yes, but so does every other offer to an 18 year old kid. I could care less if the Touissant can shoot from beyond the free throw line. Fran's mad science experiment with positionless basketball has been a disaster. Get a guard who can guard, drive the ball, dish and score in the paint. Put a guy like that out there with Bohannon, Frederick, Weiskamp and others and you have the makings of what Wisconsin has been successful with for years. Without the ability to drive from either guard spot, this team remains easy to defend and prone to scoring droughts if the 3 ball isn't falling.

Given the interest by some very good teams, JoeT is far less of a project than JBo was coming out of HS. I just hope he enjoys the huge culture change he will be facing in Iowa City.

Definitely something to watch, but I’m guessing that having Francis as his lead recruiter along with past NY players alleviated his concern. I’m a little surprised he didn’t visit his other schools so he must be comfortable.

Good get by Fran number one. Does it come with some risk like the kid getting homesick and leaving? Yes, but so does every other offer to an 18 year old kid. I could care less if the Touissant can shoot from beyond the free throw line. Fran's mad science experiment with positionless basketball has been a disaster. Get a guard who can guard, drive the ball, dish and score in the paint. Put a guy like that out there with Bohannon, Frederick, Weiskamp and others and you have the makings of what Wisconsin has been successful with for years. Without the ability to drive from either guard spot, this team remains easy to defend and prone to scoring droughts if the 3 ball isn't falling.

I thought it was very interesting that Joe commented that Fran made him feel like his own son right off the bat. Hopefully that will help offset some of the feelings of being homesick.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
ADVERTISEMENT