ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint...Wow! Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports): "Buy Stock Now."

Coming into tonight's game, there were only twp scholarship players with a turnover % below 10%.

Bohannon - 8.7%
Toussaint - 9.9%

The excuse that he's mistake prone, to this point, is hogwash.
It’s not just turnovers, but he had two quick fouls last game. It should be a matter of time before he’s playing significant minutes. I could see Bohannon shutting it down and waiting until next year.

We all know Fran is so hyperbolic about his players (as he probably should be) but I really thought he was very, very complimentary about Joe T's game.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Joe T will see a lot more time. Frankly, Fran's going to need to do so or we're going to get destroyed by teams with quicker guards starting as soon as Texas Tech one week from tonight.

He's a really good defender already as a Freshman. Almost got burned on a backdoor cut and gambles a bit too much. But he's lockdown when it's just one on one. These are defensive lapses that are common in all young players.

I think the Hawks will get beat up in B10 play. Pemsl looks slow and fat. Bohannon is a waste on defense. The team's clear 3 best players imo are Joe, Garza, and Weiskamp. But after that they're going to need to find depth.

The recipe for success this season, in my opinion, rests on Joe T. I know many people will think that’s crazy because we have Garza and Joe W (and maybe JBo) but he gives our offense a much higher ceiling when he is on the floor. Frankly, we are going to need to score as many points as possible to win more games than not. I’m not knocking CMac but when he is on the court our offense revolves around swing passes on the perimeter and dishing into the post. Defenses are rarely having to help because Iowa lacks somebody who can penetrate and make defenses break down like Joe T. You add that element in the mix, especially having Joe T, JBo/CJF, Joe W, Garza, and Nunge on the court together, then defenses have to worry about a pass out for three, the drive to the hoop, the dish to a cutting big, and so many other possibilities. CMac is a guy you want coming in to give your main guy a break because he is going to play smart and he isn’t the type of player who relies on getting in the flow. My biggest concern is Fran continuing to give CMac more minutes and not giving Joe T his fair chance soon enough leading Joe T to transfer. If I were Joe T and Fran still sticks with Connor next year I’d leave too. Could I be jumping the gun in assuming Joe T is that good? Maybe... But throughout my years of playing, coaching, and scouting I firmly feel Joe T is a better basketball player already and deserves more minutes than Connor. Again, not knocking Connor as I think he is a legit PG as a role player coming off the bench. I just see way more upside with JT.

The recipe for success this season, in my opinion, rests on Joe T. I know many people will think that’s crazy because we have Garza and Joe W (and maybe JBo) but he gives our offense a much higher ceiling when he is on the floor. Frankly, we are going to need to score as many points as possible to win more games than not. I’m not knocking CMac but when he is on the court our offense revolves around swing passes on the perimeter and dishing into the post. Defenses are rarely having to help because Iowa lacks somebody who can penetrate and make defenses break down like Joe T. You add that element in the mix, especially having Joe T, JBo/CJF, Joe W, Garza, and Nunge on the court together, then defenses have to worry about a pass out for three, the drive to the hoop, the dish to a cutting big, and so many other possibilities. CMac is a guy you want coming in to give your main guy a break because he is going to play smart and he isn’t the type of player who relies on getting in the flow. My biggest concern is Fran continuing to give CMac more minutes and not giving Joe T his fair chance soon enough leading Joe T to transfer. If I were Joe T and Fran still sticks with Connor next year I’d leave too. Could I be jumping the gun in assuming Joe T is that good? Maybe... But throughout my years of playing, coaching, and scouting I firmly feel Joe T is a better basketball player already and deserves more minutes than Connor. Again, not knocking Connor as I think he is a legit PG as a role player coming off the bench. I just see way more upside with JT.

Paragraphs are your friend.

Sponsored by Hotels.com and Captain Obvious....

Guys That Need More Minutes:
Toussant
CJF
Kreiner (slightly)

Guys that Need Less Minutes:
Connor
Evelyn

Connor can play when they go 2 PGs to close a game--If they have a lead.

Evelyn...this young man needs to get his degree.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Sponsored by Hotels.com and Captain Obvious....

Guys That Need More Minutes:
Toussant
CJF
Kreiner (slightly)

Guys that Need Less Minutes:
Connor
Evelyn
I agree with everything except for Connor. He played well tonight. Evelyn needs to see a few drop right now. Good defense tonight on the 3 pt shooting, as this team is scary good. Top 5 3pt% in the country. Overall, a little bit bitter defense tonight. Still a long ways to go. We didn't hardly turn the ball over. Joe got into their heads. You are seeing a really promising point guard. Fredrick missed 4 shots, then finally hit a couple. Garza is a beast!

He's a really good defender already as a Freshman. Almost got burned on a backdoor cut and gambles a bit too much. But he's lockdown when it's just one on one. These are defensive lapses that are common in all young players.

I think the Hawks will get beat up in B10 play. Pemsl looks slow and fat. Bohannon is a waste on defense. The team's clear 3 best players imo are Joe, Garza, and Weiskamp. But after that they're going to need to find depth.

Joe T could be a game changer for us. He has the ability to set up role guys, but he will really help Joe W and Garza most.

We have tough competition coming up, he needs to be playing. Love ya Connor, but this guy is a potential difference maker.

No way Joey is happy with these minutes or CJF. those two are our best defenders with Joe T. How Can Fredericks be happy playing six min 2 half go 2-2 wit a couple of assists and not play rest of half. Joe T was dealing and they put Conner back in at the 2 and keep Frderick and Joey on bench. Frederick clearly our best defender and JoBo gets blown by all game as did Conner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT