ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint...Wow! Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports): "Buy Stock Now."

He played 9 guys and Kreiner and Evelyn only played about 5 minutes each. He can’t shorten it much more. Putting forth that kind of effort, guys are going to need breaks.
Kriener must’ve been in the dog house. He seemed to play less. I think Evelyn might have potential but right now he’s a big step down from what we have.

Kriener must’ve been in the dog house. He seemed to play less. I think Evelyn might have potential but right now he’s a big step down from what we have.

I agree Evelyn is a step down but I look at him like a Dailey. He’s the 9th man and needed go 5-8 minutes to give guys breathers.

I don’t think Kreiner is in the doghouse. I think they liked the match-up in this game of going with the 4 smaller guys around Garza. And Garza needs to play as much as he can when playing like he has been.

He's still a little wild and hasn't shown much touch but a season under his belt will make Joey T a starter next season.

Think he'll wind up as an outstanding point guard. Has to improve the shot because we've grown used to our point guard being money at the line the last four seasons.

Its clear Conner has a better flow and understanding than Joe. Conner gets a bad rap because he doesnt make wow plays but man was he freaking good tonight. High level game and kid played great. Its great to have a elite passer with Joey, JoBo,CJF.....and Luka in paint. Conner gives us that.

Its clear Conner has a better flow and understanding than Joe. Conner gets a bad rap because he doesnt make wow plays but man was he freaking good tonight. High level game and kid played great. Its great to have a elite passer with Joey, JoBo,CJF.....and Luka in paint. Conner gives us that.

I would agree with you if Connor had a solid jump shot. You can already see opponents sagging off him which allows them to cheat in the passing lanes or double one of our guys. I like everything about his game except his jumper. Ironically the one he made was a desperation bank shot. If his outside shooting ever becomes serviceable he’d be an excellent player.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I am a fan of both kids it just seems to me that Conner never gets a break or pass on a mistake. Joe T went 1-9 other night totally out of control and the fans ..he played hard, loved his energy, I mean lets at least treat Conner if his last name was Smith...Just my opinion

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds really fun getting turked like that.

I'm still a Hawkeye and a fan of the team, but I've simp'ly realized (I dunno, about 2 years back) that Fran isn't a good coach.

You probably can't refute my points though, so better to insult?

I'm surprised it took you that long. I beat you by several years. :)

This didn’t age well. It’s one game but Fran thoroughly out coached the National Coach of the Year and the flavor of the month media and fan darling being proclaimed best college coach in the planet in Beard. For a guy who can’t coach or recruit, that was a great job by Fran.

I didn’t realize we were going to be basing every opinion on the latest game? Not sure why you’d want to do that given basketball seasons are long and sometimes things look different from night to night. But I’ll certainly remember this.

Look, Iowa might be finally playing some defense. That would be a huge step. Maybe the staff figured some things out, maybe the roster is better now, maybe it is a combination of these, or maybe it is too early to tell and nothing has changed. I enjoyed that win last night though - ironic that your first thought was to call out another fan?

I didn’t realize we were going to be basing every opinion on the latest game? Not sure why you’d want to do that given basketball seasons are long and sometimes things look different from night to night. But I’ll certainly remember this.

Look, Iowa might be finally playing some defense. That would be a huge step. Maybe the staff figured some things out, maybe the roster is better now, maybe it is a combination of these, or maybe it is too early to tell and nothing has changed. I enjoyed that win last night though - ironic that your first thought was to call out another fan?

I did it as a reaction to the fans that go extremely overboard and negative after the DePaul loss (and other losses) that say Iowa is poorly coached, unathletic, and full of non-D1 players. And to those saying Fran is an awful coach. It’s ridiculous to hear the extreme proclamations on both side.

You are right, it is a long season and many had pronounced Iowa as DOA after the second game of the year. Some people need to take that to mind the next time Iowa inevitably comes out flat or has a tough game. That doesn’t mean they are a horrible team with horrible coaching.

Reactions: hawki1968
I did it as a reaction to the fans that go extremely overboard and negative after the DePaul loss (and other losses) that say Iowa is poorly coached, unathletic, and full of non-D1 players. And to those saying Fran is an awful coach. It’s ridiculous to hear the extreme proclamations on both side.

You are right, it is a long season and many had pronounced Iowa as DOA after the second game of the year. Some people need to take that to mind the next time Iowa inevitably comes out flat or has a tough game. That doesn’t mean they are a horrible team with horrible coaching.

Ok but as far as I know I’ve not said anything in reaction to the DePaul loss. My opinions are based on a long history of watching Frans teams. At any rate I get one thing - my opinions, even if accurate, won’t be popular. Meanwhile I also get your opinions, even if inaccurate, will be. And I’m ok with that. Because either Iowa’s gonna win and I’ll be happy or eventually others will realize what I’ve seen already.

We had only one top 100 recruit between 2003 and the Woody class in 2013, and that one exception turned out to be a dangerous criminal that lasted one season at Iowa; McC has brought in 9 since 2013. I'd say he's substantially improved our talent.

Between 1999 and 2014 we had only one NCAA win and only three qualifications. Iowa had not won an NCAA game since 2001 during 15 season span. We've had four qualifications and 3 wins in the last 6 years under McC so it looks like he's significantly improved team performance over the ten years prior to his arrival.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone mentioned that Joe is hitting 75% of his FT's. I'll take that plus the rebounds and assists he gets. The scoring will happen over time. Hope he continues to drive to the basket and become a foul magnet.

The word on Joe was he was not a good free throw shooter, well obviously, he worked his butt off in the off season and turned himself into being very reliable at the line. His upside is not deniable, and I can't wait until to see his improvement as the season progresses.
Toussaint & Fredrick are going to be fun to watch this year and the next 3 years!

Here it comes. With J Bo out now, we will see much more of Joe T. Maybe a negative can also have a good side.

There isn’t enough depth on this team to make through a long season with injuries, foul trouble, the freshman wall, and the minutes that will be forced onto players that have yet to produce through 10 games and will be exploited by other teams.

I’m not a Fran hater, but we don’t have the horses to have things workout this season. We have some really nice pieces, but this year isn’t going to be X’s and O’s It will be a lack of quality Jimmy’s and Joes.

There isn’t enough depth on this team to make through a long season with injuries, foul trouble, the freshman wall, and the minutes that will be forced onto players that have yet to produce through 10 games and will be exploited by other teams.

I’m not a Fran hater, but we don’t have the horses to have things workout this season. We have some really nice pieces, but this year isn’t going to be X’s and O’s It will be a lack of quality Jimmy’s and Joes.

We'll see.

Teams that have been successful with 7 man rotations over the years are too numerous to even count.

Xs and os will indeed play a big factor. You have to think differently with less players.

There have been an unusual number of season-ending injuries (Nunge, Patrick, Bohannon) and now nagging-type injuries (Pemsl, CJ, Till). That's almost half the team. That Iowa is even hanging in these games much less winning some of them is pretty amazing.

When he plays under control very impressive and he's a first-year freshman I think he's going to end up being a very good to great player for us.
Good point. I don't recall him forcing anything today. He played within himself for the most part.

We needed him with CJ out and he delivered. Big time.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Joe grew up today. He played slower,and made good passes. He added 18 points, which helped make up a bit for CJF's sore ankle. When CJF gets back, we will have an extra starter that can hit shots.

He had two blown easy layups in the last couple minutes of the game that were killer but also made allot of nice plays.

normally those layups of his, high off the back board, go in

but man, when have we had a PG like that able to penetrate like that?

Forgot about that one. That one was contested though.

I was talking about the one where the lane was wide open and he jumped stopped instead of just going off one foot and the one where he threw a contested lob to Garza even though the psu big never left Garza to stop the ball and JT could have just laid it in.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT