ADVERTISEMENT

Joe W. could be something special......Fran is RAVING about him!!!!

Nothing that happens this year with Joe will surprise me, and i doubt it will surprise him. He's that prepared.

Does that portend a great year? Not necessarily. But, I think he's seen it all and will react accordingly.

He will be fine.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Some are looking for any chance to pile on Fran but Joe W is the highest rated guy we’ve had in a long time. We are darn lucky to have him as he could have gone elsewhere easily ala DJ. He’s a played extensively on the AAU circuit against good competition so he’s no chump.

All freshman have to make adjustments and get comfortable at the college level but I’m betting on this guy is going to be good. Some of you are going to look stupid.

Some are looking for any chance to pile on Fran but Joe W is the highest rated guy we’ve had in a long time. We are darn lucky to have him as he could have gone elsewhere easily ala DJ. He’s a played extensively on the AAU circuit against good competition so he’s no chump.

All freshman have to make adjustments and get comfortable at the college level but I’m betting on this guy is going to be good. Some of you are going to look stupid.

I hope you are right! I think Joe will be good. I'll bet on it.... That noted, I want Joe to be great! We definitely need him to be. And right out of the gate.

Lol. I love Fran and I think he uses the press to build the confidence of his players, but he does stretch it a bit far. That said, I’m absolutely on the Weiskamp bandwagon and have been for years. He is just the right player for us at just the right time. I think he will raise the intensity level and defensive cohesion for the entire team.

Interesting that Fran doesn’t want Dailey playing point because he wants him to concentrate on scoring. That tells me he has big expectations for him.

Dailey does have the potential to score from about everywhere. If he puts on the muscle....

He has a good shot. Good handles. He is long and has decent quickness... If he can add the weight to take it inside and bang a little, he will draw defenders and open up the spacing for sure. Especially if he can improve on that 3pt shot with consistency...

He hit almost 40% from 3pt land last year. A slight improvement in consistency, and he will be a solid player.

Lol. I love Fran and I think he uses the press to build the confidence of his players, but he does stretch it a bit far. That said, I’m absolutely on the Weiskamp bandwagon and have been for years. He is just the right player for us at just the right time. I think he will raise the intensity level and defensive cohesion for the entire team.

Interesting that Fran doesn’t want Dailey playing point because he wants him to concentrate on scoring. That tells me he has big expectations for him.

i know this might not have been directed at me, but to be clear, i like fran and don't believe questioning his overstatements of our players to be piling on.

i hope joe kills it this year and for the next 3, from all accounts he sounds like he should be a big contributor.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
i know this might not have been directed at me, but to be clear, i like fran and don't believe questioning his overstatements of our players to be piling on.

i hope joe kills it this year and for the next 3, from all accounts he sounds like he should be a big contributor.

No need to apologize. We've heard for years how so and so is killing it in practice, or never misses a shot, or is dominating or whatever. My opinion only, but Fran would be better served by just saying someone is practicing well and has a chance to be good.

The comments have NOTHING to do with Joe's talent or a shot at Fran. It is simply acknowledging Fran's propensity to talk up his players, and at times to an extent that actually does a disservice to some players.

I asked McCaffery if 6-foot-6 Joe Wieskamp, the most decorated recruit to sign with Iowa in his nine years here, was ready to contribute at a high level as a freshman.

Yeah, he is,” McCaffery said. “No question.”

There you have it. McCaffery continued.

To me, it’s sort of what we all expected,” he said. “I expect it from him, and he expects it from himself — that’s the standard he has set, and he is working toward that end. Obviously, he’ll continue to get better, but there’s a maturity factor that’s critical, and he’s got that.

Look for Wieskamp to play anywhere from the ‘2’ to ‘4’ in McCaffery’s fast-paced offense, but he’s a ready-made ‘3.’ (He could even play point guard if needed, McCaffery said.)

Wieskamp is legit. He can score, pass, rebound and defend. I'd be surprised if he's not among Iowa's starting five Nov. 8 vs. Missouri-Kansas City.

“Very responsible. Very focused,” McCaffery said. “That’s not always the case with freshmen — especially over the summer before their freshman year even starts.”

So where was McCaffery being over the top?

People bitch no matter what.
KF down plays everything and gets busted on for not touting guys when they blow up a bit.
FM touts his guys and uses the vision of what they could be to motivate and reveal what he sees they are capable of and he gets busted on for over inflated opinions.
Oh my .......My thoughts exactly.........post of the day right here! I've said it for a long time ......"people just want to bitch"!!

I asked McCaffery if 6-foot-6 Joe Wieskamp, the most decorated recruit to sign with Iowa in his nine years here, was ready to contribute at a high level as a freshman.

Yeah, he is,” McCaffery said. “No question.”

There you have it. McCaffery continued.

To me, it’s sort of what we all expected,” he said. “I expect it from him, and he expects it from himself — that’s the standard he has set, and he is working toward that end. Obviously, he’ll continue to get better, but there’s a maturity factor that’s critical, and he’s got that.

Look for Wieskamp to play anywhere from the ‘2’ to ‘4’ in McCaffery’s fast-paced offense, but he’s a ready-made ‘3.’ (He could even play point guard if needed, McCaffery said.)

Wieskamp is legit. He can score, pass, rebound and defend. I'd be surprised if he's not among Iowa's starting five Nov. 8 vs. Missouri-Kansas City.

“Very responsible. Very focused,” McCaffery said. “That’s not always the case with freshmen — especially over the summer before their freshman year even starts.”

So where was McCaffery being over the top?
my comment wasn't based on the wieskamp references but to the ones made about garza and nunge later in the interview... which seem to mirror some of his embellishments from the past.

that's all, i don't even think its necessarily a bad thing, just that we've heard it before and then reality doesn't always match up.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Counting on JoeW to be the true 3 that we were missing last year. It sounds like he has the most complete set of skills on the team, although freshman usually have an extended adjustment period. I am most anxious to see what he can add on the defensive end, where we were killed playing guys out of position last year.

Come on you guys. Fran's history is blowing smoke up everyone's ass about his players ability. All his players. In the seasons he has been here I don't see the results that players as great as he claims produced. This is no reflection on the players and especially Joe W. who hasn't played a second for Fran at this point.
I think it is very legitimate to question Fran's comments about any of his players. Especially since 2 of them went to the pro camps to get real criticism/analysis of their skill sets.
They must not trust the staffs judgement on their game. I know a lot of players go thru the pro vetting process but I'm talking about Fran's commentary about his players great talent levels. If what he says about his players talents are true then I can only conclude we lose because of terrible coaching. Maybe I am on to something, they can't play defense.

I would much rather have Fran praise them instead of the EXTREME yelling he does at times during a game.
I am hoping that Joe is "frantastic". I am getting my hopes up he is going to be one of the Hawk basketball players that we will remember for many years. I also hope he enjoys college so much he wants to play at Iowa for 4 years!

C'mon Legend. It is one thing to speak highly of a top 100 recruit that is expected to contribute immediately. The little Lick comment is over the top.
It’s called hyperbole. If you think I was serious, you’re dumb.

Come on you guys. Fran's history is blowing smoke up everyone's ass about his players ability. All his players. In the seasons he has been here I don't see the results that players as great as he claims produced. This is no reflection on the players and especially Joe W. who hasn't played a second for Fran at this point.
I think it is very legitimate to question Fran's comments about any of his players. Especially since 2 of them went to the pro camps to get real criticism/analysis of their skill sets.
They must not trust the staffs judgement on their game. I know a lot of players go thru the pro vetting process but I'm talking about Fran's commentary about his players great talent levels. If what he says about his players talents are true then I can only conclude we lose because of terrible coaching. Maybe I am on to something, they can't play defense.

How bout you come on man!!!! So, are you saying every player in the nation that went onto the the NBA pro camps don’t trust their coaches evaluations? I totally disagree if that’s what you’re implying!!!

So if Fran talked up all of his players and some did not live up to expectations what about the other players that landed on the all-freshman or all-B1G teams. I’m assuming those players lived up to Fran’s hype?

Reactions: perryhawk
Joe is phenomenal, JBo is a future NBA player, Garzais phenomenal. This is the deepest and most talented team of all time.

Reactions: CarterHall
Yes, Joe will be a freshmen and he will be playing against players years older than him and that will take some adjustment! But ....up to this point has played against the very best players his own age in the country and has done very, very well! At this point that's all we have to go on so lets watch it play out! I'm guessing he'll go down as one of the best to wear a Hawk uniform!!

Joe is phenomenal, JBo is a future NBA player, Garzais phenomenal. This is the deepest and most talented team of all time.
There you go,Easy Hawk. Don't exaggerate. Don't sugar coat. Just give an honest appraisal. I don't think anyone will object to that!

How bout you come on man!!!! So, are you saying every player in the nation that went onto the the NBA pro camps don’t trust their coaches evaluations? I totally disagree if that’s what you’re implying!!!
I am saying that maybe they had to go to the NBA camp to get an honest , accurate assessment of their talent level because their coach isn’t capable.

Reactions: Pepperman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT