ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Wieskamp is picked #41 Overall by the San Antonio Spurs. NBA Summer League debut on Aug 3, 8:00 PM on NBA TV

I think it will be more important for Joe to show well on everything other than shooting. Joe has 3 full seasons of college ball which show he's a deadly shooter. If I'm San Antonio his shooting is the last thing I'm worried about.

Las Vegas Summer League Schedule:

Aug. 8:
Detroit vs. Oklahoma City, 7:30 p.m., ESPN2

Aug. 9: San Antonio vs. Minnesota, 6 p.m.

Aug. 10: San Antonio vs. Chicago, 7 p.m., NBA TV

..............Detroit vs. Houston, 8 p.m., ESPN

Aug. 12: San Antonio vs. Charlotte, 2 p.m., ESPNU

Aug. 13: Detroit vs. New York, 7 p.m., NBA TV

Aug. 14: Detroit vs. L.A. Lakers, 9 p.m., ESPN2

Aug. 15: San Antonio vs. Brooklyn, 5 p.m., NBA TV

Reactions: LGEND24
Joe did not start tonight. Get the impression that defense is starting to irk the coaches. Got beat twice in quick succession and got pulled. He’s made his one three and has done a good job on the boards.

Joe did not start tonight. Get the impression that defense is starting to irk the coaches. Got beat twice in quick succession and got pulled. He’s made his one three and has done a good job on the boards.

Agree that he got beat a couple times on defense, and way too passive on offense. Will need to pick it up in a big way if he wants to make the team.

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw
Can't be passive in Summer League. It's better to be too aggressive at both ends than playing within the offense/defense.

During the season, you do your job, whatever they tell you it is. But you have tiers there, summer league, you're all trying to make the team...show what you can do and don't wait for your turn.

Can't be passive in Summer League. It's better to be too aggressive at both ends than playing within the offense/defense.

During the season, you do your job, whatever they tell you it is. But you have tiers there, summer league, you're all trying to make the team...show what you can do and don't wait for your turn.
Wieskamp is definitely going to have to get more selfish because he’s going to have limited touches due to zero passing.

I know circumstances can change as quickly as the weather, but if he continues to play like he has these first 2 games, Wieskamp will be pursuing a job in some other professional league. All he does is run to a corner on offense and usually opposite where the ball goes and rarely sees the ball from he teammates. On defense he plays away from the player he's guarding. Not what I was expecting from Weezy, hope he signed a contract for more then just playing in the summer league.

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw
IMO he’s not taking advantage of the few opportunities he’s getting. He is trying to play within the offense and passing off to a teammate, who more often than not goes on to get his points and not make a return pass. Who knows what the coach is looking for but every opportunity he has to score he likely should take the shot and make it . He is playing nice and well as the saying goes nice guys finish, well not first

That is sort of his Iowa career...good rebounder but defense was not a priority.

The Spurs lead duh Bulls at half, 52-37

Joe Wieskamp:
11 minutes (of 20)
2-4 (50%) from 3 point range
1-1 (100%) from 2 point range
3-5 (60%) Overall Shooting
0-0 FTs
8 points
3 Rebounds (1 offensive)

0 Blocks
0 Turnovers
1 Foul
+1 Plus/Minus

Did anyone else hear Greg Anthony mention he was good friends with Joe Toussaint? I was wondering why but then remembered Cole and Joe played together at a Ruckers league/tournament after their junior year and are good friends.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
For all his talent, Joe can be timid

Bound for overseas league in my opinion
I hate to say it, but I agree. He looks a step slow and doesn't fit in the Summer League style of play. You have to be able to create your own shot in Summer League and Joe just isn't comfortable forcing the shot.

Better shooting from Joe. He still needs some work defensively. I saw where they moved the ball near him a few times and got past. They can work with him in the G League to develop his defense at this level and it will give him time to consistently make shots.

When do the Spurs have to make roster decisions?​

The first time the Spurs have to make any roster decisions is prior to training camp, which begins Sep 28. Only 20 players will be allowed to participate.

15 roster spots plus two two-way contracts are available.

NBA Key Roster Dates:

• September 28 – Training camp begins. 20 players are allowed
  • October 17 – Projected cut down date from 20 to 17 (15 + 2 Two Way contracts)
  • October 19 – NBA regular season begins

The Spurs lost to the Nets tonight, 104-100.

Joe Wieskamp:
26 minutes (of 40)

1-4 (25%) from 3 point range
3-6 (50%) from 2 point range
4-10 (40%) Overall Shooting
0-0 (0%) FTs

9 Points
6 Rebounds (1 offensive)
4 Assists
1 Steal

0 Blocks
1 Turnovers
3 Fouls
-4 Plus/Minus

Joe is going to benefit from having better players around him with the full Spurs squad that will find him for open 3s. Joe won't have to play out of his comfort zone like he did in the summer league, imo.

And the money won't be too bad.

See what follows. Thanks to Herky's research, it appears Joe will make around $460,000.

Looks like Jon has the old two-way contract info, at least according to the link below. They made changes to it last year because of COVID and carried over most of those changes.

Luka's contract will be worth half the rookie minimum and he will make around $460k in salary for the season while being eligible for up to 50 games with the Pistons. He can't be called up by any other team though like any normal G-League player could. So he's taking guaranteed money this year while giving up on another team potentially liking him and offering him a nice contract. He also won't be eligible for the playoffs unless he gets signed to a standard contract.

Good for him. It took me most of my first decade working out of college to make as much money as he'll make this upcoming season.

Is the contract amount guaranteed? Is it dependent on the ration of games in the G-league vs. NBA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT