ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Wieskamp should come off of the bench

llabtoof

Team MVP
Oct 27, 2001
Truly believe that Joe W should be coming off of the bench at this point. Of course we need him to contribute solid minutes but it is apparent to anyone who understands basketball that he is hurting his team the past 6-7 games. It is more than a shooting slump.....He is giving up a ton of offensive rebounds, playing average defense, gets pushed around down low, and has ZERO confidence to take an open shot. I am huge fan of Joe but to do what is best for the team he should be coming off of the bench. Joe has lost all confidence and it is sad to see what has happened to him the past 4 weeks. I am rooting for him but cannot figure out what happened to him. Seems very fragile mentally.

That serves no purpose. It leaves CJF as the only shooter on the floor, he has to be out there just to space things out since the doubles just completely abandon Connor, JT and Bakari. It's almost cartoonish how often teams are daring our guards to shoot.

The team has a very hard ceiling if Joe doesn't turn it around. They'd have no chance of getting past the first weekend against what's probably now at least a 3 seed if Joe is playing poorly. The only way he'll stop playing poorly is to play.

If you say something like this that means you have to say who you want replacing him in the starting lineup.
Correct. I would replace him with Ryan Kreiner. Kreiner is a much better rebounder, tougher defender, solid shooter and is playing with confidence and energy. I truly and not here to bash Joe W as I am a big fan of him as a kid but he is hurting his team in every aspect. There is almost nothing positive that he is bringing to the floor right now. Bring him off of the bench and maybe he will feel less pressure and can snap out of his slump.

That serves no purpose. It leaves CJF as the only shooter on the floor, he has to be out there just to space things out since the doubles just completely abandon Connor, JT and Bakari. It's almost cartoonish how often teams are daring our guards to shoot.

The team has a very hard ceiling if Joe doesn't turn it around. They'd have no chance of getting past the first weekend against what's probably now at least a 3 seed if Joe is playing poorly. The only way he'll stop playing poorly is to play.
It does serve a purpose when Joe W is the worst shooter on the team that is playing real minutes for a 4 week stretch now. Just because he has had some past success doesnt justify what we are witnessing right now and it is really hurting this team. Would be more justifiable if he were playing tough defense and rebounding well. He is actually hurting is both of those categories as well.

Truly believe that Joe W should be coming off of the bench at this point. Of course we need him to contribute solid minutes but it is apparent to anyone who understands basketball that he is hurting his team the past 6-7 games. It is more than a shooting slump.....He is giving up a ton of offensive rebounds, playing average defense, gets pushed around down low, and has ZERO confidence to take an open shot. I am huge fan of Joe but to do what is best for the team he should be coming off of the bench. Joe has lost all confidence and it is sad to see what has happened to him the past 4 weeks. I am rooting for him but cannot figure out what happened to him. Seems very fragile mentally.
I agree with everything you said and starting RK. JW is not doing the job and hurting the team the last few games. JMO

Reactions: lesterfan

I think it still leaves CJF as the only shooter.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Nope. Fran has the rotation set that gives Iowa the best chance to win. We do need Weesy to snap out of his shooting slump and play tougher around the basket, if we want to make any kind of run this year. He seems to have become the whipping boy, like Mike Gessell a few years ago, although he is one of our best players. Weesy is still making plays that matter, although some of you don't seem to notice those.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
On the season, CMac, Weezy, Garza, and Kreiner all shoot a similar 3 pt. %, between 32-36%. Only CJ is significantly higher and JT and Evelyn lower. So when Kreiner is in he can do the high/low post game with Luka and either one can step out and hit a three. Not advocating benching JW, but his 3 pt.% is not providing an edge lately... 3/21 in his last 6 games. Ouch.

Dead on. There are not better options on the bench and as you said, they need him on the floor with Frederick because those two help space the floor and are the 2nd and 3rd scoring options on the team and the two most viable shooting options. Wieskamp needs to buck up and realize that he is a marked man and figure out ways to combat that. Drive more and get to the line, play up when they are holding and grabbing him to get fouls called, etc. What is a little disappointing is that Wieskamp was a very marked man at Muscatine and from what everyone said that saw him play, he often was triple teamed but still had the mindset of carrying his team and being "the man". I realize the talent level is different from HS to to Big Ten basketball but he should understand what it is to be the guy and have everything focused on you and have the mentality to figure out how to work through this.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Nope. Fran has the rotation set that gives Iowa the best chance to win. We do need Weesy to snap out of his shooting slump and play tougher around the basket, if we want to make any kind of run this year. He seems to have become the whipping boy, like Mike Gessell a few years ago, although he is one of our best players. Weesy is still making plays that matter, although some of you don't seem to notice those.

I agree he is making other plays with rebounding and his defense. I feel bad because he obviously is going through a slump and pressing. He's just got to play through it and adjust. He is essential to this team doing anything in the tournament this year and to achieve some of the high expectations this team will likely have next year. I believe he has it in him and is capable.

Agree and unfortunately FM will not change his rotation no matter how bad a starter is playing recently. JW as a "whipping boy" is a bit overstated IMO. JW has played like crap since (I think) he scored 30 points. He gets heat from fans because of his bad decisions with the ball and half-***** effort.

Have you seen him dive for the ball lately on the floor? His defense certainly has not been superior and okay at best IMO. He does not seem to learn from mistakes and stop doing the things that do not work and/or adjust his game/decisions. Anyway, I guess we have to agree to disagree. BTW I am a fan of JW just not with his recent play or lackadaisical effort (at least as recently displayed).

if i'm the coach and weiskamp put the ball on the floor and drives into traffic i yank him. he is to weak to take in traffic. I don't know who teaches rebounding but when i was playing in high school you follow your shot. They all turn and head down court when they shoot you aren't following youir shot u ride the pine. i don't know how many long rebounds we could of had if they followed their shot that is basic 101 basketball. That is on coach

if i'm the coach and weiskamp put the ball on the floor and drives into traffic i yank him. he is to weak to take in traffic. I don't know who teaches rebounding but when i was playing in high school you follow your shot. They all turn and head down court when they shoot you aren't following youir shot u ride the pine. i don't know how many long rebounds we could of had if they followed their shot that is basic 101 basketball. That is on coach

Right on. So true. There were at least a half a dozen times last night that this happened. They're not good enough to be hot-dogging and backing up from shots, after their release. Low IQ basketball players do this stunt.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
If Illinois wins on Thursday, Fran needs to seriously consider shutting him down for the last game. Other than the Neb game, he has been a shell of himself for the past month. Every time he takes the floor, he looks like he just went 12 rounds with Larry Holmes. Probably wouldn't hurt to get him set up with the UI Hospital's top psychiatrist, too.

Whipping boy? Everything said about Joe has been completely fair. Nobody bashing him. Nobody saying anything that isn't true. I see him missing shots (as a shooter), fading away on shots, playing below average D, driving to the lane in the same way every time and losing the ball, playing with zero confidence, and more. About the only positive recently is that he eats up a defender.
I am not advocating that he be benched, but let's be honest about his recent play.

Reactions: lesterfan
I think what actually needs to be done is getting our posts out at the short corner more often and/or moving around a bit more allowing our guards to dribble penetrate.

This happens every year with Fran's teams in B10 play. By the end of the season, unless we're playing the bottom of the barrel teams (and even then....) our ability to attack the basket all but disappears and we become more of a perimeter and inside/out team. And with double teams constantly on Garza that draws a lot of attention to the lane, making our guys afraid to attack. Some of that is teams just hounding our ball handlers and nobody being able to drive (except Toussaint, who sits half the time because Fran doesn't like that he turns the ball over..........just sayin), but we also stop looking to attack, and suddenly we're not getting to the FT line like we use to.

Iowa needs to get back to attacking the basket with the dribble drive. and that's gonna open EVERYTHING back up.

The solution is quite simple. Fran addresses this with the media. Joe, and CJF if we are being honest, need to pull the trigger without hesitation. How many times last night did those two pass up pretty good shots because it wasn't the “perfect” situation. Shoot the ball, that’s primarily why your on the court.

I think Fredrick has deeper range than JoeW...Fredrick needs to let launch when
he is open deeper behind the line.

JoeW is one of the top two players on the team, but slumping. You gotta play him through the slump. You can get on him about him letting his misses interfere with getting back on defense and not diving for loose balls.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Ryan Kriener.

I agree with this and it won't happen but I'd like to see how we do with cmac coming off bench. I feel some of Joe's struggles are because teams don't need to guard Connor.

And that's no bash on Connor cuz he does a lot to help us and he still should get lots of minutes. It's more about how Ryan is playing lately. JT, CJ, JW, RK, LG sounds pretty formidable when they are on and like previous poster said....JW needs to play to get it back. He's crucial

If Illinois wins on Thursday, Fran needs to seriously consider shutting him down for the last game. Other than the Neb game, he has been a shell of himself for the past month. Every time he takes the floor, he looks like he just went 12 rounds with Larry Holmes. Probably wouldn't hurt to get him set up with the UI Hospital's top psychiatrist, too.
Girlfriend needs to be "good" to him.

Reactions: IAGuy and papabeef
This might be one of the worst threads I've seen other than the Connor McCaffrey threads. Where is he supposed to drive to with Garza on the block, Garza's defender in the paint. Our pg's defender in the paint, and either our back up 4 man's guy in the paint or our backup Sg's man in the paint! I mean seriously fella's come on. The kids playing hurt, like much of the team. He's playing heavy mins and just getting abused by the other teams personal on every cut, screen and board. He had 10 and 7 last night yet you'd think he was the worst player in college basketball. This board better get its act together. Sad that hawk fans can't support him, if this is the way fans act maybe he shouldn't be a hawk anymore! Maybe more HS kids need to see what this fan base is all about!

Girlfriend needs to be "good" to him.

This might be one of the worst threads I've seen other than the Connor McCaffrey threads. Where is he supposed to drive to with Garza on the block, Garza's defender in the paint. Our pg's defender in the paint, and either our back up 4 man's guy in the paint or our backup Sg's man in the paint! I mean seriously fella's come on. The kids playing hurt, like much of the team. He's playing heavy mins and just getting abused by the other teams personal on every cut, screen and board. He had 10 and 7 last night yet you'd think he was the worst player in college basketball. This board better get its act together. Sad that hawk fans can't support him, if this is the way fans act maybe he shouldn't be a hawk anymore! Maybe more HS kids need to see what this fan base is all about!

Perhaps one can review the stats, realize the impact, draw a conclusion AND support him.

Try it

Reactions: 24 so far
Decked out in straw hat and bow tie, the psychologist walks into the clubhouse of the New York Knights and, in a memorable scene from “The Natural,’’ says, “The mind is a strange thing, men. We must begin by asking it … What is losing? Losing is a disease, as contagious as polio … as contagious as bubonic plague, attacking one but infecting all. Ah, but curable.’’

I'm just glad CJ was the one who air balled an open 3 late in the game.

Can't imagine how many threads there would be if JW had shot that!!

Whipping boy? Everything said about Joe has been completely fair. Nobody bashing him. Nobody saying anything that isn't true. I see him missing shots (as a shooter), fading away on shots, playing below average D, driving to the lane in the same way every time and losing the ball, playing with zero confidence, and more. About the only positive recently is that he eats up a defender.
I am not advocating that he be benched, but let's be honest about his recent play.
Did you read my entire post? He is in a slump, and his shooting and toughness around the basket hasn't been good enough. He is still one of our better players, and we aren't going anywhere without him. Fran doesn't have a lot of options.

On the season, CMac, Weezy, Garza, and Kreiner all shoot a similar 3 pt. %, between 32-36%. Only CJ is significantly higher and JT and Evelyn lower. So when Kreiner is in he can do the high/low post game with Luka and either one can step out and hit a three. Not advocating benching JW, but his 3 pt.% is not providing an edge lately... 3/21 in his last 6 games. Ouch.
so RK and CMAC can make about the same amount of wide open 3s as JW can make with someone in his grill.

not surprising to me....

take JW and those open 3s either start to disappear or luka gets triple teamed all game(at least imwo)

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I agree with this and it won't happen but I'd like to see how we do with cmac coming off bench. I feel some of Joe's struggles are because teams don't need to guard Connor.

And that's no bash on Connor cuz he does a lot to help us and he still should get lots of minutes. It's more about how Ryan is playing lately. JT, CJ, JW, RK, LG sounds pretty formidable when they are on and like previous poster said....JW needs to play to get it back. He's crucial

Huh? He’s shooting in the 30s from 3 and is a great entry passer. Yes, you have to guard people like that. He just missed a couple open shots early last night.

Lol. You are an idiot.

I agree because I've heard so many people say that they have to shoot themselves out of the slump and regain confidence. The talent is there.

And
Huh? He’s shooting in the 30s from 3 and is a great entry passer. Yes, you have to guard people like that. He just missed a couple open shots early last night.
Annnd why is he so open??? Can't tell if you are being serious. He was 2/8. They are sagging off and daring him to shoot, not sure what you're watching. Again, didn't say he shouldn't still play a lot

Joe is as soft as a marshmallow. Love the guy, but go pro already. Make some money while you can. Cause the longer you play for Iowa, the more you will be exposed, and the worse Iowa will be.

Reactions: chuck285
He’s one of the most respected shooters in the league. Pay attention to how he’s been guarded throughout this entire slump; hounded, as he has been all season. You need him out there for spacing alone.

I wonder if he's hurt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT