ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on Jim Rome Show: Tyler Linderbaum is closest thing to SURE thing in entire draft

It’s odd the Steelers rarely draft Hawkeye players?! No?
It has been strangely quiet on the Hawk front from Pittsburgh. Odd is the correct term. You would think a blue collar town and coaching staff like Tomlin and the soon to depart KC would value the Iowa work ethic.
They do have a history of B1G players however. Michigan, Wisky, tOSU, Maryland,Illanoy, and even Nub have players on the roster. Maybe this is the year Iowa joins that list.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
It’s odd the Steelers rarely draft Hawkeye players?! No?
You can say that about a lot of teams. Steelers did sign James Daniels in the off season. He is listed as OL so not sure what their plans are. Roster also lists 2 at center.

You can say that about a lot of teams. Steelers did sign James Daniels in the off season. He is listed as OL so not sure what their plans are. Roster also lists 2 at center.
James was primarily G for the Bears. Briefly played C before moving him back to G spot. Figure he would still be a G for Pitt but his value is if need be could play either or. I just hope Linderbaum ends up at a well run organization like Pitt or Baltimore over some that are a mess like Washington, Detroit or Jax.

As for OP post I think Klatt is one of the best when it comes to his college football analysis. One of my favorite color guys. Why I was super excited when Fox got the PSU game. He and gus are up there with mcdonough and blackledge as the best duos to listen to for a college game.

I'm confused by the short arms thing...if he can scratch his ass when needed...his arms are long enough. God...these NFL types are ridiculous. A guy dominates all competition for basically three years...and after watching all that tape...some moron voices a concern his arms are too short. LOL.
They said the same thing about both Scherrff and Gallery, and yet both won the Outland trophy, and both went top 5 in the draft. The strange thing though is they both ended up at guard and not tackle, even though they were drafted that high. Gallery was the 2nd pick! For all the smoke these guys generally do know a great player when they see one. The bigger issue is centers aren't quite as valued, which is strange because they basically are the "QB" of the OL. They generally make the calls and set assignments, so a really good one is invaluable. I can kind of see the arm length thing with a tackle so he can shed the DE and his hands, but interior lineman want to get their hands inside and control, and I don't see the arm length being as important.

Reactions: David1979
Before the draft started, a number of the top draft prospects were introduced. Lindy was not among them. I wondered why he was not included in that group of players. Then, I remembered, he has short arms. What a joke.

I'm confused by the short arms thing...if he can scratch his ass when needed...his arms are long enough. God...these NFL types are ridiculous. A guy dominates all competition for basically three years...and after watching all that tape...some moron voices a concern his arms are too short. LOL.
im not a big Booger Mac fan, but man he was all in on Tyler. More or less said the same stuff you tossed out there.

When Tyler did get picked they said 1st round center picks are the surest deal in the draft.
100% have signed a 2nd contract which is the only position that can boast that.
Tyler will end up earning more in his career than most guys ahead of him.

The wrestling analysis/translation was really well done. All you need to know about why he is going to do just fine as a #25 pick.

Reactions: haightt
The coaching staff takes a beating here on many things, but they sure got this one right. Making him a Center was a great call.

I don't know what position TL was likely to play on defense, but only 2 DT's were taken in the first round - both from GA. I believe he had pro potential in the DL, but perhaps not Rd 1.

I think that decision probably made him lots and lots of money. Kudos to TL for recognizing it as well.

ADVERTISEMENT