ADVERTISEMENT

JoEllen Browning stabbed to death, preliminary autopsy report shows

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A woman found dead in her east Iowa City home was stabbed to death, according to a preliminary autopsy report.

The Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Office determined JoEllen Browning, who was found dead Friday at 114 Green Mountain Drive, died “as the result of sharp force injuries,” according to a news release from the Iowa City Police Department on Wednesday.

No suspects have been identified and no arrests have been made, Iowa City Police Sgt. Derek Frank said.

Browning, 65, was the longtime director of operating budgets for University of Iowa Health Care and planned to retire in February, according to her obituary.

Emergency responders were called to the house — which she and her husband own — around 7 a.m. Friday, according to Iowa City police.

Police said Wednesday that investigators have completed crime scene processing at the Browning residence. Additionally, officials said the police department and the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation have 15 to 20 investigators on the case, fielding an evaluating tips and information from the community.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the police department at 319-356-5276 or Iowa City Area CrimeStoppers at 319-358-8477.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...reen-mountain-drive-iowa-city-police-20190410

This is shocking and not what I expected to learn. Have known her husband for decades and can't imagine him being involved in this.

I know him a little through his businesses and he sure isn't someone that would come to mind that would be likely to do such a thing. But the way the police are handling this, and unfortunately when there are other inexplicable cases like this, it seems like it ends up being the spouse...or perhaps an otherwise troubled close family member, about 90% of the time.

I know him a little through his businesses and he sure isn't someone that would come to mind that would be likely to do such a thing. But the way the police are handling this, and unfortunately when there are other inexplicable cases like this, it seems like it ends up being the spouse...or perhaps an otherwise troubled close family member, about 90% of the time.

As terrible as it sounds, I really hope that's the case, because this is a few blocks from my house, and even closer to a relative's house.

Reactions: prymethyme
Stabbing seems like an awful way to go.

Pretty sure I would rather be shot.

Hopefully justice is coming.

Reactions: MitchLL

Yep. Stabbing is a highly personal form of homocide, so it's more typically the work of someone who knows the victim.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Anyone hear anything new. I know a few eastsiders have posted in this thread.
Not many responding to this thread. It’s like the murderer posts here or something... Anyhow people that live close shouldn’t worry. Multiple stab wounds is rarely done if random. Sad story

Reactions: cigaretteman
All the comments here seem logical.

My old lady watches these crime shows all the time and stabbings in a home are almost always from an acquaintance of the victim.

My theory is that the husband hired a hit man. I've heard something about the husband went out to buy bagels that morning and came home to the scene. Somebody knew when she would be alone in the house.

It's pushing five months since the murder, and no arrests. No person of interest.

Complex and violent crime cases taken on by the Iowa City Police Department’s investigations section this year have led the department to bolster the ranks in that unit and rely more heavily on outside agencies for help.

The section has added a full-time investigator this year, bringing the total to nine. The Street Crimes Action Team, a specialized unit within the investigations section tasked with violent and drug-related crimes in the city, added two detectives and a sergeant.

Iowa City police Lt. Dave Droll, who leads the investigations section, said the need for more investigators was born out of several large cases that overlapped.

“We just had a whole bunch of things that happened during the same time,” Droll said.

The crunch on resources began earlier this year with the investigation into the death of JoEllen Browning. Browning, 65, was found stabbed to death early April 5 in her Iowa City home.

While Iowa City typically has taken the lead on its own homicide investigations — as was the case with four homicides in 2017 — Droll said authorities were deep into a large sex trafficking investigation and couldn’t pull investigators away from it.

“When Browning happened, we didn’t have the resources to throw at that one and we couldn’t abandon the sex trafficking case at that time,” he said. “We had identified some (sex trafficking) victims and when you know you have victims, you can’t just put that on the back burner.”

With that in mind, Droll said the department asked the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation to take the lead on the Browning homicide, which it did.

DCI Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt said the agency often has partnered with the Iowa City Police Department on large investigations. He said DCI typically acts as a “force multiplier,” adding more investigators to conduct interviews or analyze crime scenes.

But agencies with a full investigations section don’t often ask to turn over a homicide to the state, Mortvedt said.

“I would say that’s pretty rare where that actually does happen with the larger agencies in Iowa,” Mortvedt said.

Even with DCI taking the lead, the Browning homicide was demanding resources from the Iowa City department, Droll said. Iowa City investigators still were assisting in the investigation. Droll said one investigator spent four weeks doing nothing but crime scene work and submitting evidence in the Browning investigation.

“But, he had a case load and his case load didn’t stop,” Droll said. “That had a huge ripple effect there.”

Iowa City has one police investigator assigned to work with the DCI on the Browning case, which remains under investigation a no arrest has been made.

Droll said the DCI taking charge of that case did, though, free up resources in Iowa City.

“If DCI wasn’t taking the lead, we would have probably two to three investigators working it,” he said. “It allowed us to keep our resources on this other major crime we were dealing with. It also allowed us to deal with other things that are unfortunately occurring all the time, like assaults, sexual assaults, robberies, things like that.”

Still, Droll said the investigations section needed more help.

In April, an officer was reassigned from patrol to investigations. What was meant to be a temporary assignment was extended into May and June before being made a permanent addition, Droll said.

In June, the department investigated gunshots fired near Mercer Park and elsewhere in the city. It was then that Iowa City police Chief Jody Matherly assigned two detectives and a sergeant to the street crimes team to investigate.

Matherly said he had intended to move a sergeant to street crimes 18 months ago, but the move was delayed by a training grant the department received. While that grant closes at the end of September, the shootings meant more resources were necessary for street crimes.

“We had the shots fired calls that certainly caused great concern for us,” Matherly said. “Our goal is to reduce all crime, particularly violent crime. We want to make sure we take appropriate action. Increasing our personnel in street crimes and the investigations unit was prudent at that time.”

Iowa City is far from the only department that sees violent and complex crimes take a toll on its case load.

The DCI’s Mortvedt said the state agency averages 70 to 80 death investigations a year. And when a death investigation is consuming resources, that sometimes means turning down a request for help from a smaller department on a lower priority case, such as an embezzlement.

“We want to be everything to everybody we can,” Mortvedt said. “You only have so much manpower. You almost have to triage the case loads.”

Like Iowa City, the DCI will be getting a boost in resources soon. Under a bill passed by the Iowa Legislature, the DCI will be adding five new agents. Mortvedt said that will bring the organization up to 26 or 27 agents.

“We’re increasing our manpower by 20 to 25 percent,” he said. “That’s huge.”

In Iowa City, it’s difficult to know what to expect when it comes to major cases. Droll points to 2017 when the department investigated four homicides. The following year, there were no homicides in the city, but the investigator assigned to those 2017 cases still was involved with them through criminal trials.

Then 2019 began with the sex trafficking investigation and Browning homicide. In the sex trafficking investigation, five Eastern Iowa men were indicted on federal counts in May. “Nobody really knows what normal is,” Droll said.

What will remain consistent is the department’s response to major crimes, Droll said. He said he can’t envision a time when the department won’t need to “call an audible” and move personnel around or ask for help.

“It ebbs and flows,” Droll said. “And we adapt.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...rowning-homicide-other-complex-cases-20190826

Word on the street is that he’s a drunkard, so I’m guessing he came home drunk from Wig and Pen and started stabbing.

Word on the street is that he’s a drunkard, so I’m guessing he came home drunk from Wig and Pen and started stabbing.

Happened in the morning, didn't it? I think his alibi was that he was out for bagels when the murder happened.

He is a heavy drinker and gambler. Was kicked from the W&P for walking out on tabs.

Another neighbor worked in the same office as his wife, and he has stated that the husband was verbally abusive. He couldn't understand why she stayed with him.

I could be snarky, but, did your neighbor offer any insight as to why he felt this way?
This case screamed out husband from the start.

Because he was buddies with him. They drank at the W&P together. I suppose he was showing support. My neighbor is an arrogant Trumpster, so he doesn't identify facts well. ;)

I still jumped to conclusions and thought he did it.

Officials in eastern Iowa have arrested and accused a man of killing his wife, who was a longtime administration at the University of Iowa system.

Roy Carl Browning Jr., 67, has been charged with first-degree murder, court records show, in relation to the death of JoEllen Browning, who worked for the university's health care system for more than four decades. JoEllen Browning, 65, died in April from multiple stab wounds.

946f924a-078c-41b2-a938-38bed01561af-RoyBrowning.jpg

Roy Carl Browning Jr. (Photo: Special to the Iowa City Press-Citizen)

Browning was the director of operating budgets and an employee at University of Iowa Health Care since 1977.

On the morning of April 5, Iowa City police officers were dispatched to Browning's home, located at 114 Green Mountain Drive, for a reported "unresponsive female." The caller has not been identified and the dispatch call hasn't been released to the public.

Autopsy results from the Johnson County Medical Examiner found Browning's death was a homicide and that she died of stab wounds. Located on the east side of town, the home is co-owned by JoEllen Browning and Roy Browning.

they conducted 100 interviews during the investigation. Roy Browning's charges were filed Monday afternoon, court records show.

What happened April 5
Roy Browning Jr. called Iowa City police about 7 a.m. that day, reporting that JoEllen was unresponsive in her bedroom, according to a criminal complaint filed in Johnson County. She had been stabbed in the front and back of her torso and on her left hand; her death was ruled a homicide.

ADVERTISING
Investigators found no evidence of forced entry into the home, but saw blood in the master bedroom and shower, court records show. A sample taken from JoEllen Browning's fingernail showed DNA from Roy Browning Jr. on her finger.

Authorities also say financial records show that Roy Browning had taken money from a joint bank account and placed into a personal account for himself. JoEllen Browning on April 1 texted her husband, asking him about account discrepancies and told him she wanted to talk with their financial institution, officials learned after reviewing cellphone and email records.

She set up a meeting and informed her husband via text April 4 that the couple was to see a banker the following day. Roy Browning Jr. acknowledged the meeting, but that same day purchased gloves and towels from a nearby paint supply store, the complaint states. An employee told investigators he gave Browning Jr. additional gloves that day. Video surveillance put him at the store less than an hour after being informed of the visit with the financial institution.

Investigators found out that Roy Browning Jr. had taken out at least four different loans of $4,000 with an interest rate of more than 300% in Illinois. He told the company not to contact his wife about the checks, court records show.

Officials also spoke with the banker who was planning to meet with the Brownings on April 5, the day JoEllen Browning's body was discovered.

"JoEllen was preparing for tax season and had found some problems with Roy and JoEllen's accounts..." the complaint states. "The representative was prepared to tell JoEllen at this meeting that one of their savings accounts was depleted and Roy had taken out out loans of which JoEllen was not aware.

"The representative was prepared to tell JoEllen that an account JoEllen thought was active never actually existed."

Records showed that Browning used his personal checking account to pay more than $17,600 toward the balance on a credit card under JoEllen's name shortly after his wife died. The credit card was still being used after her funeral April 12, officials found.

"JoEllen Browning had a retirement and life insurance policy worth in excess of $2 million," investigators wrote in their complaint. "In reviewing finances, records show that JoEllen Browning was financially stable and Roy Browning did not have revenue source."

Investigators never found the items Roy bought at the paint supply store.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...-husband-roy-c-browning-iowa-city/2493929001/

Surprised it took 6 months to gather all of that information. I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork to file, warrants, financial records etc - It still seems like 6mos is a long time to wait.

In a case like this, does law enforcement typically track/follow the suspect for the entire time?

Surprised it took 6 months to gather all of that information. I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork to file, warrants, financial records etc - It still seems like 6mos is a long time to wait.

In a case like this, does law enforcement typically track/follow the suspect for the entire time?

True. ^^ That string of evidence seems pretty cut and dried, from the "man on the street" viewpoint...one wonders why it took so long to arrest him. If I were him, I would have skedaddled long ago...you had to know that the clock was ticking on you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT