ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

I’ve watched Joey’s highlights a couple times now...I’m telling ya, the kid is a gamer. A lot to like with him and I wouldn’t count him out of any QB ‘race’ in the next few years imho.
Been saying this in the lounge and somebody laughed at me. Oh well :) Its just my opinion and now yours too but I don’t think its a forgone conclusion that Deuce will win the job.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
I just got around to watching his films. He's got a real slingshot for an arm. Looks like he needs to bulk up a little maybe hit the squat rack more often. Highlights (that's why they call them highlights) show pocket patience. Hawkeye recruiting is calling him "Long Ball Labas" LOL so that right there should get the attention of Iowa fans. Looks like an interesting project for O'Keefe.

For some reason, and I cannot remember this late, but I seem to recall hearing that his team is not very talented. He's kind of a man army for them.

He didn't have a date to prom. Stanzi turned down like 9 girls when he was a senior.
There was a lot more going on behind the scenes than you might think. He blew up after he committed to Iowa, was awarded a 4th star by the other site and bumped here.

Iowa State pursued him hard. They organized a call with Purdy, Rose and Kolar to try to flip him.

Reminding...my off the wall prediction of a couple months ago, Labas comes from the deep pine to be starting QB at the end of the season. Now, I'm going to put the cap back on the glue I was huffing, and await my results.

While my longshot probably won't pay off I do think this kid is a future star at Iowa. Obviously a good thrower. He also adds value as a runner because he appears to quickly identify a wide open running lane and takes off with decent speed to get through the hole.

Reminding...my off the wall prediction of a couple months ago, Labas comes from the deep pine to be starting QB at the end of the season. Now, I'm going to put the cap back on the glue I was huffing, and await my results.

While my longshot probably won't pay off I do think this kid is a future star at Iowa. Obviously a good thrower. He also adds value as a runner because he appears to quickly identify a wide open running lane and takes off with decent speed to get through the hole.
Not sure about end of this year but I’ll predict the insanely impossible that Joey Football pushes a giant Deuce out into the portal next year.

Not sure about end of this year but I’ll predict the insanely impossible that Joey Football pushes a giant Deuce out into the portal next year.

I'm not sure that's impossible. Deuce has the tools but has never been incredibly accurate.

Labas was insanely accurate in HS. He threw a lot of tight window completions.

Exactly.....Lots of talent in the QB room
I am confused as to where all of this optimism is coming from and what has been shown to be concerned about how we can keep all of these "great" qb's happy and how there is so much talent at our QB position?

Iowa QB coach Ken O’Keefe called on Ricky Stanzi to get his thoughts on 2021 QB Joey Labas.

“The first thing I saw was his quick release,” Stanzi said. “When I see a quick release, those are hard to come by, and it’s really hard to teach. When I saw it’s already there, I’m like, ‘This is beautiful.’”

“I signed off on (Labas) right away. I think he’s got that moxie. It’s sort of hard to put in a stat. But he has the ability to make a play, stretch the field, and get rid of the ball quick. He’s got that athletic ability that allows him to improvise. The highlights I saw, I really liked.”

LINK TO THE FREE STORY:
https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/stanzi-labas-062420

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z

reminder of what Ricky Stanzi thought of Joey

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT