ADVERTISEMENT

John Oliver on Truckers and Trucking

My dad was a trucker, my uncle was a trucker, I have cousins that are truckers or married to truckers, my brother is a trucker. I come from a trucker family.

Everything he's saying is accurate.

The only thing I will ad is that there are good companies out there to work for as a trucker where you are an employee, you make a decent living and they don't try to screw you by sticking you with expenses for the truck.

That said those companies are sometimes hard to get into. My brother got into his current job because my dad worked there at the time and got him in. (For a few years they worked at the same company.) I think several of my cousins have gotten into good jobs via family connections.

But there are a ton of companies out there that absolutely try to take advantage of truckers just out of trucking school.

My dad was a trucker, my uncle was a trucker, I have cousins that are truckers or married to truckers, my brother is a trucker. I come from a trucker family.

Everything he's saying is accurate.

The only thing I will ad is that there are good companies out there to work for as a trucker where you are an employee, you make a decent living and they don't try to screw you by sticking you with expenses for the truck.

That said those companies are sometimes hard to get into. My brother got into his current job because my dad worked there at the time and got him in. (For a few years they worked at the same company.) I think several of my cousins have gotten into good jobs via family connections.

But there are a ton of companies out there that absolutely try to take advantage of truckers just out of trucking school.
That isn't much different than any line of work.

ADVERTISEMENT