ADVERTISEMENT

John Waggoner

Kurt Warner

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
Just saw a deal on kcci channel 8 sports about him, he is a very hot prospect. So is he coming to iowa?? I don't know much about the fellow. He and AJ would make a nice tandem eh?

Reactions: Forgery5
He's high on the Hawks. Hopefully he sees Iowa like AJ and sees the opportunity to succeed at Iowa is just as good or better then the high profile schools.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I don't know how big a Norte Dame fan Waggoner is, but I am not worried about him jumping ship should they make a late offer. I struggle to see how any prideful person could rack up offers several months ago from some of the best programs in the country (Ohio State, LSU, etc.) and not feel slighted by others who had an opportunity to offer but did not (i.e. Norte Dame).

I just caught a Hawkeye podcast last night (forget which one and I forget which reporter said this) ... but he thought Waggoner would decide by the end of July and that in his opinion it's down to Iowa and Ohio State ... he thought Iowa would win out ... Apology for not remembering which podcast and which reporter ...

I just caught a Hawkeye podcast last night (forget which one and I forget which reporter said this) ... but he thought Waggoner would decide by the end of July and that in his opinion it's down to Iowa and Ohio State ... he thought Iowa would win out ... Apology for not remembering which podcast and which reporter ...
HawkeyeNation...Howe and Miller, I would love to see Waggoner and AJ terrorize opposing QB's for a long time!

Last edited:
HawkeyeNation...Howe and Miller, I feel good about having Waggoner and AJ terrorize opposing QB's for a long time!

I finally watched his recruit highlights. Reminds me of Jared Devries (siap). Great leverage - not super quick - but tireless pursuit. Same size too

Reactions: BigOHawk
I don't know how big a Norte Dame fan Waggoner is, but I am not worried about him jumping ship should they make a late offer. I struggle to see how any prideful person could rack up offers several months ago from some of the best programs in the country (Ohio State, LSU, etc.) and not feel slighted by others who had an opportunity to offer but did not (i.e. Norte Dame).
I agree. I think that Waggoner has been very deliberate about his recruitment BECAUSE of his love for Notre Dame. However, I honestly believe that Waggoner's word will be his bond. My guess is that he will feel that he gave Notre Dame their opportunity. He did his very best to secure an offer from them. It didn't happen (or hasn't happened yet). Consequently, should he choose now ... I anticipate that he'll still be happy with his decision. There's still something rewarding about being at a place where you're wanted.

Iowa needs recruits like this, yearly. Gonna sting if Iowa misses out on him.

Somewhat related, but if Iowa offers Ollie last March and he committed shortly thereafter, would he still have went to Mich assuming they still offer that far after Iowa?

Reactions: hawkeyecuz
Iowa needs recruits like this, yearly. Gonna sting if Iowa misses out on him.

Agreed. I don't follow recruiting much anymore, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's one of, if not the most, important recruit this year. Iowa needs athletic defensive lineman. Other than AJ (who we haven't seen) and Anthony Nelson, Iowa doesn't have much in the way of pass rushers. Another reason I really wanted that JUCO that ended up going to Wisconsin last year. Some people blasted me, saying we were already stacked at D-Line. We might have players there, but we need more athleticism and pass rushing ability. When you play a base 4-3 and don't blitz as much as other teams, you need to have a front four that can get a consistent pass rush. Iowa's best defenses have all had an athletic front four that could put consistent pressure on the quarterback without bringing extra help.

Somewhat related, but if Iowa offers Ollie last March and he committed shortly thereafter, would he still have went to Mich assuming they still offer that far after Iowa?
I didn't read every OM interview, so I don't really have a feel whether or not he was offended by the lateness of Iowa's offer.

That said, he was very thorough in his recruitment and I believe the academic angle played a big part in his decision. So, I'd guess that it is quite plausible he would have flipped.

But to add to your scenario, if he commits to Iowa in March, does he even hit the camp circuit where he earned those big offers?

Reactions: iamia
Wags will be a hawk! Both parents went there, he grew up here. Smart kid, not rushing a decision and making sure everything is in line before his public commitment. I am confident he will play as a hawk.

I didn't read every OM interview, so I don't really have a feel whether or not he was offended by the lateness of Iowa's offer.

That said, he was very thorough in his recruitment and I believe the academic angle played a big part in his decision. So, I'd guess that it is quite plausible he would have flipped.

But to add to your scenario, if he commits to Iowa in March, does he even hit the camp circuit where he earned those big offers?
The other piece is that I heard some chatter that Ollie wasn't completely happy with the offense, his role and what the Hawkeye passing attack would look like. We can talk all we want about BF and his ideas and Patriot experience, but we need a few years of on field results.

The other piece is that I heard some chatter that Ollie wasn't completely happy with the offense, his role and what the Hawkeye passing attack would look like. We can talk all we want about BF and his ideas and Patriot experience, but we need a few years of on field results.
Honestly, this wouldn't surprise me as being pretty accurate and I really think this stigma played a big part in our rough receiver recruiting the last few years. I certainly couldn't blame any high school WR for not being comfortable with how they might have been utilized in the former system and therefore look elsewhere.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I doubt Waggoner ends up at OSU. OSU's Friday Night Lights is July 21 and he is not attending. I think Micah Parsons and Jayson Oweh are the two DE OSU really wants. The 2019 D line class is pretty strong in Ohio so they may save some scholarships for next year.

Honestly, this wouldn't surprise me as being pretty accurate and I really think this stigma played a big part in our rough receiver recruiting the last few years. I certainly couldn't blame any high school WR for not being comfortable with how they might have been utilized in the former system and therefore look elsewhere.

Also, Iowa's biggest selling point (early playing time) could be had at Michigan, too. While they did bring in a couple elite WR recruits, such as Donavon Peoples-Jones, Michigan graduated all its top receivers and has plenty of early playing time to offer for WRs.

We all struggle not to be prideful, but we are sinners after all. Do you suppose Mr. Waggoner is prideful?

Other than Piersbacher (sp?), when's the last time Iowa missed out on an in-state recruit they really wanted who wasn't a WR?

It's a serious question. I don't recall.

Other than Piersbacher (sp?), when's the last time Iowa missed out on an in-state recruit they really wanted who wasn't a WR?

This year. Downing from Creston. Also Campos, and the kid from Valley that is at Nebraska. One of several brothers, but for the life of me I can't remember their name.

This year. Downing from Creston. Also Campos, and the kid from Valley that is at Nebraska. One of several brothers, but for the life of me I can't remember their name.
Raidon... and there was a lineman from spirit lake last year who went to Miami.. kalhil hill little brother who was a rb.. French who went to oregon..

Raidon... and there was a lineman from spirit lake last year who went to Miami.. kalhil hill little brother who was a rb.. French who went to oregon..
Dykstra - from Clear Lake.

Last edited:
About to post that one but almost a blessing in disguise because I think mansell will be a better qb. Also I predict Lombardi ends up playing another position and will never see the field as a qb.
I was thinking the same thing in regards to where Lombardi ends up on the field. I can't prove it,but maybe Iowa would have taken Lombardi and PM. If Iowa had landed Lombardi,maybe they would have passed on taking Weiland? Nothing against Weiland...just thinking Lombardi could have taken an "Ath" spot in that class.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

I honestly can't understand why we have to put ourselves through this torture several times each year. Yes, there are instate players that Iowa offers that go elsewhere. Do people really think this is an IOWA problem? Does Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Nebraska, or even mighty Michigan, or Ohio State, keep all their top players at home? Uh No! Its pretty obvious since we have players from pretty much all of those states, and many of them had offers or certainly interest from many of their home state schools as well. You can't make the kids decision for him, and some kids just want to move away from Mom and Dads shadow, or for whatever reason. And Yes, instate ties or not some kids are going to take a long look when Alabama, Michigan, or Notre Dame come calling. If we actually got commits from every kid in Iowa we offered, then people would be bitching that we needed to be more diverse, and recruit more nationally.

I honestly can't understand why we have to put ourselves through this torture several times each year. Yes, there are instate players that Iowa offers that go elsewhere. Do people really think this is an IOWA problem? Does Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Nebraska, or even mighty Michigan, or Ohio State, keep all their top players at home? Uh No! Its pretty obvious since we have players from pretty much all of those states, and many of them had offers or certainly interest from many of their home state schools as well. You can't make the kids decision for him, and some kids just want to move away from Mom and Dads shadow, or for whatever reason. And Yes, instate ties or not some kids are going to take a long look when Alabama, Michigan, or Notre Dame come calling. If we actually got commits from every kid in Iowa we offered, then people would be bitching that we needed to be more diverse, and recruit more nationally.
Ala for sure but Mich & ND at best have been on Iowa's level the last 15 years.

If a recruit is committed to Mich or ND they better pause & step back if Iowa decides to offer. Especially depending on what position the recruit plays. There's a handful of positions on both sides of the ball that no team in CFB has done better than Iowa in the last 15 years.

There is a huge difference between states that churn out a high number of P5 players like Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, etc., and a state like Iowa that has maybe 4 or 5 in a given year.

How unhappy is he going to be when he is 2nd or 3rd string WR as a soph and junior?

Ala for sure but Mich & ND at best have been on Iowa's level the last 15 years.

If a recruit is committed to Mich or ND they better pause & step back if Iowa decides to offer. Especially depending on what position the recruit plays. There's a handful of positions on both sides of the ball that no team in CFB has done better than Iowa in the last 15 years.
While you may correct about what a recruit SHOULD do, that is not the way it works. If it worked that way, the guy driving the Ferrari would have a decent looking woman that will make a great wife and mother in the passenger seat.

There is a huge difference between states that churn out a high number of P5 players like Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, etc., and a state like Iowa that has maybe 4 or 5 in a given year.
I get your point. Iowa actually had 21 division 1 recruits in 2017 and the 2018 class will be bigger. Without looking it up, I'll bet a state like say MN has double that though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT