ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Depp-Amber Heard jury sides primarily with Depp in defamation trial

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Johnny Depp prevailed in his three counts of defamation against Amber Heard and was awarded $15 million, the jury announced Wednesday. The seven-person jury also decided that Depp, through his lawyer Adam Waldman, defamed Heard on one of three counts in her countersuit; she was awarded $2 million.

The unanimous decision was delivered after three days of deliberation, bringing an end to the seven-week trial that brought emotional testimony recounting Depp and Heard’s tumultuous relationship and its fallout.
Depp, 58, first sued Heard, 36, for $50 million over an op-ed she wrote in The Washington Post in 2018 in which she referred to herself as a public figure representing domestic abuse. Heard countersued Depp for $100 million after Waldman called her accusations a hoax. The trial was held in Virginia, where the printing presses and servers of The Washington Post are located. (The Post was not a defendant in the suit.)
Have more questions? Here is an FAQ on the trial, with everything you need to know.
Follow along for live updates.

Johnny Depp will receive $350,000 of $5 million in punitive damages​

Return to menu
By Helena Andrews-Dyer3:42 p.m.
Link copied

Although Johnny Depp was awarded $5 million in punitive damages in his defamation suit against ex-wife Amber Heard, the actor will only receive $350,000 of that amount. According to Virginia law, punitive damages cannot exceed $350,000. The statute also states that if a jury awards damages above the maximum amount allowed, the judge is required to reduce that dollar amount.

Key update

Amber Heard awarded $2 million in defamation case​

Return to menu
By Caitlin Moore3:31 p.m.
Link copied

The jury found that Johnny Depp, through his lawyer Adam Waldman, defamed Amber Heard on one count of three. She was awarded $2 million in compensatory damages and $0 in punitive damages. Heard had countersued Depp for $100 million.

Key update

Johnny Depp awarded $15 million in damages​

Return to menu
By Caitlin Moore3:26 p.m.
Link copied

Amber Heard was found to have defamed Johnny Depp on all three counts of defamation. Depp was awarded compensatory damages of $10 million and $5 million in punitive damages. Depp originally sued Heard for $50 million.

Bullshit. He lost that role because of amber. The agent tried to cover Disney's ass by claiming it was on set conduct. Depp is the pirates franchise.
The Pirates franchise was dying. They went from a $1.2 billion to $1.1 billion to $800 million on the last movie. The films were bad and people were onto them.

Zero,.. probably increased his value.
Pirates is TBD, may not cost him there, now. He was removed from Grindewold though so there is that. Who knows how many roles never came his way as movie producers just passed on him without offering because of this. There was definitely significant damage.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I don't think I've seen a movie Depp starred in since Fear and Loathing. Never watched the pirates thing. I've had a number of chicks say I look like him though, and that I should go as his pirate character for halloween.

Pirates is TBD, may not cost him there, now. He was removed from Grindewold though so there is that.
He had a pay or play option for Secrets of Dumbledore. They paid him $16 million not to be in that disaster of a movie (Grindelwald is responsible for nazism)

I watched very little of this trial, but she seemed like a total B. I'm not saying Depp is not an absolute A. And he shouldn't have married said B. Bad judgment. We all make poor choices. But she clearly was a drama queen that lied to at least some extent. They both have enough money to stay out of the public eye. If either goes back, they certainly have egos that noone should want to work with.

He had a pay or play option for Secrets of Dumbledore. They paid him $16 million not to be in that disaster of a movie (Grindelwald is responsible for nazism)
Fair enough, but it cost him future appearances. But as you said, it's unlikely there will be another one. While I didn't think it was completely terrible it wasn't great either.

Really, Depp has nothing to do with it. These movies would be a money printing press if JK Rowling would just keep her mouth shut about her views on gender types. When you write in a genre where a HUGE percentage of your fan base are LGBTQ+ then you probably shouldn't publicly talk badly about them. Or, if you already have more money than God do what you want and destroy the future prospects of any movies you create I guess.

Anyway, those people would automatically have gone to the movie regardless of how bad it was, but since most of them are boycotting Rawling, they didn't. Which means the movie actually needed to be really, really, really good to make the kind of money they were expecting and it wasn't.

His goal was to get un-blacklisted. Mission accomplished due to judgement. It’s and interesting case. Both suck in many ways.
Maybe not. He won a lawsuit awhile back that brought light to the systemic double and triple dipping in the distribution end of Hollywood. Its a long drawn out story that I am too tired to go into tonight, but he caused a lot of possible IRS problems for people in the industry. He does have the clout and money to do his own productions and with the expansion of "made for streaming companies" like Apple, Netflix etc. he should be ok.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I watched very little of this trial, but she seemed like a total B. I'm not saying Depp is not an absolute A. And he shouldn't have married said B. Bad judgment. We all make poor choices. But she clearly was a drama queen that lied to at least some extent. They both have enough money to stay out of the public eye. If either goes back, they certainly have egos that noone should want to work with.
As I have stated before I have watched most of the trial. If anyone is really interested in how ****ed AH is check out the Youtube highlight videos of AH and JD's audio and video recordings in the trial. The recordings came about because they were both in therapy and it was suggested that they record their disagreements so that in therapy it could be addressed. Her mental state is absolutely clinically ****ed up. This hits close to home for THE_DEVIL because the No Pic's sister is basically a carbon copy of AH. Dealing with SIL and watching Heard's actions are eerily similar.

I didn’t pay attention to any of this trial even though it was huge national news for 6 weeks. The things that Americans care about

Fair enough, but it cost him future appearances. But as you said, it's unlikely there will be another one. While I didn't think it was completely terrible it wasn't great either.

Really, Depp has nothing to do with it. These movies would be a money printing press if JK Rowling would just keep her mouth shut about her views on gender types. When you write in a genre where a HUGE percentage of your fan base are LGBTQ+ then you probably shouldn't publicly talk badly about them. Or, if you already have more money than God do what you want and destroy the future prospects of any movies you create I guess.

Anyway, those people would automatically have gone to the movie regardless of how bad it was, but since most of them are boycotting Rawling, they didn't. Which means the movie actually needed to be really, really, really good to make the kind of money they were expecting and it wasn't.
It’s more than Rowlings statements. She should never have been writing the movies, way outside her skill set. Fantastic beasts was ok, but the last two below average to bad imo.

Why does anybody care about this?

Celebrities can DIAF for all I care.
It has been an example of the damage women do that gets ignored. She was the abuser and destroyed his life by lying to the world. The default of believe all women and toxic masculinity being used as a weapon against a man was put in display for the world to see. The narrative has blown apart and opened the discussion that mean get abused all the time and even when it is a famous person that has video and audio recordings he is blamed and victimized. It's about time men had a real voice in the accusations against them and depp has provided the pathway to open that conversation.

It’s more than Rowlings statements. She should never have been writing the movies, way outside her skill set. Fantastic beasts was ok, but the last two below average to bad imo.
They certainly weren't as good as the original series. But it wouldn't have mattered if she didn't piss off half her fan base.

ADVERTISEMENT