ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson County considers getting rid of military-style police vehicle

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
After years of calls by concerned citizens to get rid of an imposing, military-style vehicle sometimes used by local law enforcement, the Johnson County Board of Supervisors on Wednesday directed the sheriff's office to consider an alternative.

The county obtained the mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle in 2014 through a surplus program offered by the federal government. The justification was that it was needed during active shooter situations or in natural disasters.

But some residents have complained about feeling traumatized when seeing the vehicle deployed on city streets, saying it makes the scene feel like a war zone. Johnson County Supervisor Royceann Porter on Wednesday recalled a time when she saw the MRAP stationed outside a home in Iowa City's south district, a neighborhood with a higher percentage of minority residents.

She said law enforcement officials, with guns drawn, woke up children and ushered them to safety.

"The people brought out of the house were five little kids with their hands up. These were babies. I think the oldest might have been 12. But five little kids come out of the house, and that bothered me," Porter said. "I couldn't believe it."

Johnson County Sheriff Brad Kunkel said the MRAP has been used by local law enforcement agencies 19 times. Of those, 16 were for shootings, homicides or firearms-related investigations; two were for standby at protests; and two incidents included shots fired at law enforcement in 2020.

Last year, the Iowa Freedom Riders, who have argued that use of the MRAP has traumatized residents in the south district, demanded that the Iowa City Council send a letter to the sheriff's office to get rid of it. Lonny Pulkrabek, who was sheriff at the time, refused.

Iowa City Mayor Bruce Teague, at the time, said Iowa City had no intention of using it.

More:Iowa Freedom Riders, IC mayor respond to sheriff's decision to keep military-grade vehicle

Last month, the Iowa City Police Department used the MRAP to transport officers to serve an arrest warrant in the south district.

The Press-Citizen asked Teague this week about that apparent shift in policy.

He responded Wednesday with a statement from City Manager Geoff Fruin.

"There is no formal policy governing the Iowa City Police Department’s use of the County MRAP. The Chief of Police has the ability to utilize the vehicle as an option of last resort in situations deemed to be high risk for physical harm to police officers or the public," Fruin wrote.

"When used in a warrant situation like it was last month, the department concluded that there was no other safe alternative to serving the warrant. The use of the vehicle allows for a surround and callout execution of the warrant which is the safest alternative and eliminates the need for any forcible entry into the home."

It was Iowa City's most recent use of the MRAP that has sparked the outcry, with several activists renewing calls for its elimination by making that demand during county and city public comment periods.

A look back:Iowa City protests grow, see brief clash with authorities

During Kunkel's presentation at the Wednesday meeting, which was scheduled because of the public's renewed interest, he said the vehicle regularly gets mischaracterized as a tank. Later, however, he acknowledged that the vehicle could have negative psychological impacts because of its intimidating presence.

But some residents have complained about feeling traumatized when seeing the vehicle deployed on city streets, saying it makes the scene feel like a war zone.

Really? Traumatized?

I'd like to see a interview with the folks who felt "traumatized".
I also noticed this quote:

"The people brought out of the house were five little kids with their hands up. These were babies. I think the oldest might have been 12. But five little kids come out of the house, and that bothered me," Porter said. "I couldn't believe it."

It paints the picture of police perp walking these children out as if they are a threat, which I highly doubt was the case.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
But some residents have complained about feeling traumatized when seeing the vehicle deployed on city streets, saying it makes the scene feel like a war zone.

Really? Traumatized?

It just doesn't take much for some to get "traumatized" these days. If I saw that when I was a kid I would have thought, "cool" and then kept on doing what I was doing. Nowadays though...we operate through the feelings of some of the least hardy among us.

Reactions: 24 so far

Really? Traumatized?

tenor.gif

It paints the picture of police perp walking these children out as if they are a threat, which I highly doubt was the case.

if mr or mrs Porter felt that traumatized, maybe he or she would be even less comfortable with whatever suspected criminal activity was going on inside?

Reactions: UKGrad93
if mr or mrs Porter felt that traumatized, maybe he or she would be even less comfortable with whatever suspected criminal activity was going on inside?
You would have to ask Ms/Mrs Porter what she thinks about that.
My assumption, which seems to be backed up by the fact that this vehicle is used sparingly, is that they don't trot this thing out when people rack up too many parking tickets.

The problem with equipment like this is that in order to justify keeping it around you have to use it. There isn't much legitimate use for it, so they stage a raid every now and again with it. It isn't like it's stealthy, and a few years ago they tried to use it helping people out of a flooded area and they had to stop for fear that it would tip over because the muddy water obscured the terrain.
Just because it was free doesn't mean it does not have upkeep costs, and high operating costs.

Used it 19 times in almost 7 years. So, not quite 3 times a year. Not much.

I've heard the thing is a tremendous money pit. Why do you think the feds were giving them away?
Shortly after they first got it, I recall hearing someone drove it off the cement, where it promptly sunk and they had to pay big money to get it towed out.

The lady couldn’t believe the police got the five children out of the house and to safety. Is she a complete dipshit?

The problem with equipment like this is that in order to justify keeping it around you have to use it. There isn't much legitimate use for it, so they stage a raid every now and again with it. It isn't like it's stealthy, and a few years ago they tried to use it helping people out of a flooded area and they had to stop for fear that it would tip over because the muddy water obscured the terrain.
Just because it was free doesn't mean it does not have upkeep costs, and high operating costs.
Lonnie made the mistake, at least once, of putting this unit in a parade...not realizing that a number of JOCO residents were taken aback that such a thing existed in their fair city and there was definitely some blowback following that. :) So, other than "for show" use, I am not sure there has ever really been a strong need for this type of vehicle.

I mean, it is really a vehicle of war and there aren't too many wars going on in eastern Iowa. :)

Reactions: Pinehawk
Good, the whole traumatized argument is way too much. But police in this country have been way too militarized for way too long…

Used it 19 times in almost 7 years. So, not quite 3 times a year. Not much.

I've heard the thing is a tremendous money pit. Why do you think the feds were giving them away?
Shortly after they first got it, I recall hearing someone drove it off the cement, where it promptly sunk and they had to pay big money to get it towed out.
That is a true story unfortunately. Ever since the county acquired it, I’ve referred to it as our largest paperweight. While it may on rare occasions serve a vital purpose, there has to be alternative equipment that could be employed just as effectively.

These mraps were initially developed in the apartheid era in south Africa to dispense dispersal agents as white riot police drove through black townships like soweto. The advantage was armor and a v shaped bottom that dispersed ied/mine blast forces. Considering we were taking it in the butt using Humvees, even armored ones, we decided to produce these to mitigate troop loss in Iraq. So yes, as someone who was considered a colored in South Africa and one who couldn't drink from your faucet in the late 80s, it does cause me mental anguish since I have a brain and a memory. Is this vehicle appropriate in Angola or Iraq? Yes. The Broadway area of Iowa City? No. Lonny who no longer is sheriff can continue to cry or buy it for 733k, it's cost, and park it in his hacienda.

Military creep into local police is wrong and creates a slippery slope to do stupid things that result in the death of innocent citizens or the over application of force.

Burn that stupid pos vehicle.

Yea man. Indians like me were considered the N word. Not cool huh? In the 80's.
You said 'your faucet', so I was trying to find out if I missed those signs when I lived in Iowa in '88, or if you meant SA.

After years of calls by concerned citizens to get rid of an imposing, military-style vehicle sometimes used by local law enforcement, the Johnson County Board of Supervisors on Wednesday directed the sheriff's office to consider an alternative.

The county obtained the mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle in 2014 through a surplus program offered by the federal government. The justification was that it was needed during active shooter situations or in natural disasters.

But some residents have complained about feeling traumatized when seeing the vehicle deployed on city streets, saying it makes the scene feel like a war zone. Johnson County Supervisor Royceann Porter on Wednesday recalled a time when she saw the MRAP stationed outside a home in Iowa City's south district, a neighborhood with a higher percentage of minority residents.

She said law enforcement officials, with guns drawn, woke up children and ushered them to safety.

Johnson County Sheriff Brad Kunkel said the MRAP has been used by local law enforcement agencies 19 times. Of those, 16 were for shootings, homicides or firearms-related investigations; two were for standby at protests; and two incidents included shots fired at law enforcement in 2020.

Last year, the Iowa Freedom Riders, who have argued that use of the MRAP has traumatized residents in the south district, demanded that the Iowa City Council send a letter to the sheriff's office to get rid of it. Lonny Pulkrabek, who was sheriff at the time, refused.

Iowa City Mayor Bruce Teague, at the time, said Iowa City had no intention of using it.

More:Iowa Freedom Riders, IC mayor respond to sheriff's decision to keep military-grade vehicle

Last month, the Iowa City Police Department used the MRAP to transport officers to serve an arrest warrant in the south district.

The Press-Citizen asked Teague this week about that apparent shift in policy.

He responded Wednesday with a statement from City Manager Geoff Fruin.

"There is no formal policy governing the Iowa City Police Department’s use of the County MRAP. The Chief of Police has the ability to utilize the vehicle as an option of last resort in situations deemed to be high risk for physical harm to police officers or the public," Fruin wrote.

"When used in a warrant situation like it was last month, the department concluded that there was no other safe alternative to serving the warrant. The use of the vehicle allows for a surround and callout execution of the warrant which is the safest alternative and eliminates the need for any forcible entry into the home."

It was Iowa City's most recent use of the MRAP that has sparked the outcry, with several activists renewing calls for its elimination by making that demand during county and city public comment periods.

A look back:Iowa City protests grow, see brief clash with authorities

During Kunkel's presentation at the Wednesday meeting, which was scheduled because of the public's renewed interest, he said the vehicle regularly gets mischaracterized as a tank. Later, however, he acknowledged that the vehicle could have negative psychological impacts because of its intimidating presence.

HahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

SA where these things originated.
My Indian history prof at FSU, Dr. Singh, talked about the profound impact Gandhi's time in SA had on his world view.

Is British colonialism seen as a net negative in India?

Wonder how it would poll HK vs mainland China. :cool:

My Indian history prof at FSU, Dr. Singh, talked about the profound impact Gandhi's time in SA had on his world view.

Is British colonialism seen as a net negative in India?

Wonder how it would poll HK vs mainland China. :cool:
Yes, you are correct. Gandhi once tried to board a train there and he had a first class ticket. When he tried to board, the conductor said people like you belong in third class. He was taken aback since he was a practicing lawyer and a member of the bar. Later in his life, when he visited England, Churchill (who many admire and I despise) called him a Naked Fakir. The British looted trillions of dollars from India and (literally) stole its jewels one of which is on the queen's tiara. There are people in India who still admire the Brits; I am not one of them. Your last question is also a good one. Mainland China and the Opium wars come to mind.

Reactions: cigaretteman
“Johnson County Sheriff Brad Kunkel said the MRAP has been used by local law enforcement agencies 19 times. Of those, 16 were for shootings, homicides or firearms-related investigations; two were for standby at protests; and two incidents included shots fired at law enforcement in 2020.”

What’s the issue here? A mine-resistant tank is an absolute necessity for a firearms investigation, right??

Reactions: cigaretteman
I’ll buy that damn truck in IC due to the amount of damage my vehicles take in all the parking decks from my kids at the U of I always getting hit by another car or truck. Tired of all the damage those vehicles take and unless you see it or have clear video evidence of the car and person that did it, you are SOL.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
I saw that vehicle last week as I was driving home. At first I assumed it belonged to the National Guard (it was near there place out on Melrose). When it got closer, I saw that it said Johnson County Sheriff, lol. They should sell tickets to drive it at the JoCo fair. Set up a field with a bunch of junk cars to run over.

I saw that vehicle last week as I was driving home. At first I assumed it belonged to the National Guard (it was near there place out on Melrose). When it got closer, I saw that it said Johnson County Sheriff, lol. They should sell tickets to drive it at the JoCo fair. Set up a field with a bunch of junk cars to run over.

See, that's what I'm saying!

ADVERTISEMENT