ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson County public employees' union recertification vote fails

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Tuesday was a day of celebration for most unionized public employees in eastern Iowa. Overarchingly, eligible librarians, graduate employees and health care workers across the state voted to recertify their representation. But one union did not make the cut.

The Johnson County employees represented by PPME Local 2003 lost their union representation Tuesday night, John Deeth, 2003's bargaining unit chair for administration, tweeted. Due to 2017-recertification requirements added to Iowa Code, the union is dissolved.

"Union membership is important, even in a workplace with labor-friendly bosses like Johnson County's elected officials. I expect this loss to hurt the administrative unit's wages, health care costs and disciplinary issues," Deeth told the Press-Citizen on Wednesday.

Local 2003 represents non-supervisory employees of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors, Recorder, Treasurer, Auditor, Attorney and the county's Data Processing, Physical Plant, Planning and Zoning, and Public Health departments.

More at:

Tuesday was a day of celebration for most unionized public employees in eastern Iowa. Overarchingly, eligible librarians, graduate employees and health care workers across the state voted to recertify their representation. But one union did not make the cut.

The Johnson County employees represented by PPME Local 2003 lost their union representation Tuesday night, John Deeth, 2003's bargaining unit chair for administration, tweeted. Due to 2017-recertification requirements added to Iowa Code, the union is dissolved.

"Union membership is important, even in a workplace with labor-friendly bosses like Johnson County's elected officials. I expect this loss to hurt the administrative unit's wages, health care costs and disciplinary issues," Deeth told the Press-Citizen on Wednesday.

Local 2003 represents non-supervisory employees of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors, Recorder, Treasurer, Auditor, Attorney and the county's Data Processing, Physical Plant, Planning and Zoning, and Public Health departments.

More at:
Good for them. More take home pay.
Smart move.

Reactions: dandh
Because public sector workplaces are so enlightened. Lol.
No, because I agree with Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who said that the process of collective bargaining cannot be moved into public service. It's an obvious conflict of interest for public sector employees, and the taxpayer winds up getting no real representation.

In addition, most public sector employees are protected by civil service rules, so there is no need for a union.

No, because I agree with Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who said that the process of collective bargaining cannot be moved into public service. It's an obvious conflict of interest for public sector employees, and the taxpayer winds up getting no real representation.

The elected officials who bargain for the political subdivision represent the taxpayer.

In addition, most public sector employees are protected by civil service rules, so there is no need for a union.

Interesting that you're advocating for taking away police and firefighters unions.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The elected officials who bargain for the political subdivision represent the taxpayer.
You're quite naive. Those same officials need union support to get and stay elected. AFSCME has phone banks working to elect city councilmen and county commissioners. Or just try getting elected to a school board without the support of a teachers union. Local taxpayers have far less clout with those elected officials than the unions. And that's why public sector unions should not exist (imho).

Reactions: VodkaSam
You're quite naive. Those same officials need union support to get and stay elected. AFSCME has phone banks working to elect city councilmen and county commissioners. Or just try getting elected to a school board without the support of a teachers union. Local taxpayers have far less clout with those elected officials than the unions. And that's why public sector unions should not exist (imho).

First off, AFSCME isnt the only union there is. Secondly, in small towns that is not the case. Often the city council members are R's and are not exactly worker friendly.

Reactions: cigaretteman
First off, AFSCME isnt the only union there is. Secondly, in small towns that is not the case. Often the city council members are R's and are not exactly worker friendly.
Most of the country's population is not in small towns. Almost every large city and most large towns are Democrat/public sector union dominated. AFSCME was used as example as it is the largest public sector trade union. Other unions also provide that level of support to local elections. If most taxpayers actually understood the incestuous relationship between local elected officials and public sector unions, those unions would be anathema to them.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the message here, you're cool with police and fire unions being dissolved?
Teachers unions should go first, then AFSCME . Lots of cops are represented by the Teamsters or other organizations, and are not nearly as bad. However, no publjc sector employee should be represented by a union, imo.

Most of the country's population is not in small towns. Almost every large city and most large towns are Democrat/public sector union dominated. AFSCME was used as example as it is the largest public sector trade union. Other unions also provide that level of support to local elections. If most taxpayers actually understood the incestuous relationship between local elected officials and public sector unions, those unions would be anathema to them.

So are public sector workers overpaid? Teachers, Firefighters and cops?

So are public sector workers overpaid? Teachers, Firefighters and cops?

Not relevant, imo. These people should be paid fairly, but the taxpayer also deserves representation. In most jurisdictions the taxpayer is not represented well if at all and the union/elected official incest runs strong.

Not relevant, imo. These people should be paid fairly, but the taxpayer also deserves representation. In most jurisdictions the taxpayer is not represented well if at all and the union/elected official incest runs strong.

Not relevant? How then are the taxpayers getting screwed here?

Teachers unions should go first, then AFSCME . Lots of cops are represented by the Teamsters or other organizations, and are not nearly as bad. However, no publjc sector employee should be represented by a union, imo.

Police unions should go first. Then, if that happens, the rest can follow after that.

Reactions: HawkNester
Please explain why you support public sector union/local elected official incest.

I dont agree with your premise at all.

Without at least the threat of unions, employers will treat employees like shiit. Private sector, public sector, wherever.

This displays that you don't have a clue, you don't have to pay the dues in Iowa, anyone is able to opt-out.
Ask any teacher who wants to be considered for promotion if they can “ opt out”. They have to play the game and contribute for their union leaders junkets to vegas, dc, etc.

Reactions: abby97

Without at least the threat of unions, employers will treat employees like shiit. Private sector, public sector, wherever.
You are clueless. Most of the employees in question have civil service protections. It's completely different from the private sector. I strongly support private sector unions, btw.

The unions should open up their own factories and destroy the competition.

You are clueless. Most of the employees in question have civil service protections. It's completely different from the private sector. I strongly support private sector unions, btw.

Yeah...you work in local government?

Yeah...you work in local government?
No. I did represent unions in the private sector and employers in the public sector during a 40 year career, however. I've actually seen everything I describe happen.

Tell us about your experience with labor relations and collective bargaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I expect from what I know of this specific situation that in the long run these employees will be better compensated for their work by opting out of the collective bargaining and will now be eligible for annual merit increases along with COLA. The union grievance procedure also goes away along with longevity payments, some of the old-timers may be a little worse off, but not by much.

Reactions: dandh
I expect from what I know of this specific situation that in the long run these employees will be better compensated for their work by opting out of the collective bargaining and will now be eligible for annual merit increases along with COLA. The union grievance procedure also goes away along with longevity payments, some of the old-timers may be a little worse off, but not by much.
Plus, add in the fact that longevity pay is systemic racism in action, and it's a winner for everyone, imo.

No. I did represent unions in the private sector and employers in the public sector during a 40 year career, however. I've actually seen everything I describe happen.

Tell us about your experience with labor relations and collective bargaining.

Sure. I have worked in the public sector for over 20 years. I negotiated for management against unions several times. I have been in fact findings, arbitration hearings, depositions...you name it.

Sure. I have worked in the public sector for over 20 years. I negotiated for management against unions several times. I have been in fact findings, arbitration hearings, depositions...you name it.
So, a local government employee. Often part of the problem, imo.

😆😆😆😆😆

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT