ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson County public employees' union recertification vote fails

What problem is that?
Failure to see the reality of the situation with public sector unions. Sometimes it's self-interest (manager feels good because employees think he's a good guy and is "fair", or manager benefits directly because he gets the same percentage raise negotiated by the unions) and sometimes it's just cluelessness. In addition, that manager often doesn't recognize how many things the union insists on are systemically racist (pay by seniority, etc.). Sometimes it's just hard to see the forest for the trees, as the saying goes.

Failure to see the reality of the situation with public sector unions. Sometimes it's self-interest (manager feels good because employees think he's a good guy and is "fair", or manager benefits directly because he gets the same percentage raise negotiated by the unions) and sometimes it's just cluelessness. In addition, that manager often doesn't recognize how many things the union insists on are systemically racist (pay by seniority, etc.). Sometimes it's just hard to see the forest for the trees, as the saying goes.

Or maybe I actually know what I am talking about.

Ask any teacher who wants to be considered for promotion if they can “ opt out”. They have to play the game and contribute for their union leaders junkets to vegas, dc, etc.
Wait, are you seriously trying to say a non-union teacher can’t gain a promotion or pay raise?

You haven't worked in it old man....you sat at a desk in a hired gun position.

No, I've actually been the chief spokesperson in negotiations, been the lead chair (that is, prepared and presented the case, wrote opening and closing briefs, fully representing one side) at arbitrations, and represented unions and employers at various governmental bodies and hearings, including state and federal representation elections. If I understand your participation correctly, you've been a team member in negotiations a few times, and possibly a witness during arbitration. Your lack of understanding is typical of many public sector employees who don't do labor relations professionally, but as a small part of their job.

No, I've actually been the chief spokesperson in negotiations, been the lead chair (that is, prepared and presented the case, wrote opening and closing briefs, fully representing one side) at arbitrations, and represented unions and employers at various governmental bodies and hearings, including state and federal representation elections. If I understand your participation correctly, you've been a team member in negotiations a few times, and possibly a witness during arbitration. Your lack of understanding is typical of many public sector employees who don't do labor relations professionally, but as a small part of their job.

So you have no real idea how local government works, you come in as a hired hand for a little sliver....got it.

So you have no real idea how local government works, you come in as a hired hand for a little sliver....got it.
A sliver of what?

You're just another gubmint employee who may be part of the problem, and is clearly not part of any solution.

How many times have you been chief spokesperson? Have you been privy to what the employer's bargaining authority is? Ever been first chair in arbitration? Ever - even once?

A sliver of what?

You're just another gubmint employee who may be part of the problem, and is clearly not part of any solution

How many times have you been chief spokesperson? First chair in arbitration? Ever - even once?

What problem?

When you remove the right to collective bargaining it will lead to worse working conditions. Period.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
What problem?

When you remove the right to collective bargaining it will lead to worse working conditions. Period.
You are going in circles now. I've described the problem earlier.

And you can't believe your final two sentences, unless you are actually a union member. How else could you stand your job? Or you actually a public sector union member?

You are going in circles now. I've described the problem earlier.

And you can't believe your final two sentences, unless you are actually a union member. How else could you stand your job? Or you actually a public sector union member?

No.

You described a false premise from an ignorant viewpoint.

You are clueless. Most of the employees in question have civil service protections. It's completely different from the private sector. I strongly support private sector unions, btw.

Unions are also for collective bargaining, not merely labor disputes.

It will not be long before employers go after benefits now.
Employers have been "going after" benefits forever, if that's the way you want to view it. Benefits are a huge cost. You support public sector unions because it helps protect your benefits...can you say self-interest?

Employers have been "going after" benefits forever, if that's the way you want to view it. Benefits are a huge cost.

They will just do it now. Thats not the way I want to to view it. Its the way it is. IPERS is target #1

So, it's all self interest. I'm not surprised.

It wont matter to me now at this point in regards to IPERS.

Why dont you just come out and say public employees should not get decent pay or benefits? Be honest about it.

Public union contracts should require voter approval...

Haha, yeah right. Nobody cares. Public won’t even show up for the public hearings on the entire proposed annual budgets. I’m sure they’ll be really engaged over some trifling raises that comprise less than 2% of that entire budget’s total.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT