ADVERTISEMENT

Johnston Hy-Vee is NOT going to be 100% self checkout after all!

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
I live in Johnston and do most of my grocery shopping there. Went in this morning for our weekly groceries and discovered they have gone 100% self-checkout. What a crock. Not even ONE register with a checker. Wife was furious.

UPDATE........manager emailed me. He indicated they will have 4 “regular” registers but they have not been installed yet. He apologized for the poor communication and misunderstanding.

Last edited:
614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
I don’t mind using self check out if I only have a couple items. But if I have a whole cart full of things, especially a bunch of produce… There’s no way I would want to do self check out. And I was even a Hy-Vee cashier in high school/college.

I live in Johnston and do most of my grocery shopping there. Went in this morning for our weekly groceries and discovered they have gone 100% self-checkout. What a crock. Not even ONE register with a checker. Wife was furious.

From now on we’ll go to the Hy-Vee on the south end of Ankeny. If/when they go 100% self-checkout then we’ll go to Fareway (who likely never will).

If I wanted the checkout and bag groceries I would get a job doing so.

If I were you, I would just not go to HY-Vee and all if you really want to make an impact

The self check out machines have improved over the years, mostly (stupid fcking Jewel). I hated the experience of:

"return the item to the bagging area"

"You removed an item from the bagging area"

"an unknown item is in the bagging area"

Produce is also annoying to do self checkout.

"ID check required."

Of course the attendant is always either clearing some error for somebody else or playing grab-ass with another worker who could be helping out. I just want to pay for this box of wine and vamoose. Capisce?

It has been coming. How have you not noticed any of this until now? Even Fareway has added self checkouts. The same place that will take your groceries to your car like it is 1950.

We should keep complaining that people who are in needless positions should be paid more for a job that doesn't need done. That's sure to reverse the trend.

From now on we’ll go to the Hy-Vee on the south end of Ankeny. If/when they go 100% self-checkout then we’ll go to Fareway (who likely never will).

i always go self checkout.

Are you also the type that unloads your groceries in the car and just leaves the cart in the middle of the lot? I mean, it isn't your job based on your logic above.

Reactions: EasyHawk

You live in Johnston? Makes sense

Here in the Midwest, Kroger has been remodeling some
of their stores. They eliminate all the check out lanes
except 4 and add more self-check outs. The profit margin
for supermarkets is getting tight so they eliminate their
cashiers. The inconvenience for the customers is not part
of their strategy.

It has been coming. How have you not noticed any of this until now? Even Fareway has added self checkouts. The same place that will take your groceries to your car like it is 1950.

We should keep complaining that people who are in needless positions should be paid more for a job that doesn't need done. That's sure to reverse the trend.

There isn't a ton of jobs out there for High Schoolers though, this is one job that they can do. One of my nephews being one at Windsor Heights HyVee,

Reactions: Pinehawk
There isn't a ton of jobs out there for High Schoolers though, this is one job that they can do. One of my nephews being one at Windsor Heights HyVee,
This is exactly the type of job a high schooler should have. This isn't a career position. Or, it shouldn't be. Which is why it's ridiculous to demand increasing wages when it's a needless position.

We either support the service industry or we go to UBI. It has to be one or the other otherwise we will have mass unemployment and poverty as AI and automation increase.

During the 1960's, Krogers had carryout guys at
every check out lane. They had to join the union
after 60 days. They would bag the groceries and
then take them out to the car of the customer.
No tipping was allowed. It was just a courtesy
done by Krogers.

We either support the service industry or we go to UBI. It has to be one or the other otherwise we will have mass unemployment and poverty as AI and automation increase.
I imagine we'll just wait it out until the desperate start looting en masse. And not just looting the Guccis and the Hy-Vees, but homes. I doubt even then that Mitch and Nancy will advocate for UBI. Martial law is going to be a hoot.

Here in the Midwest, Kroger has been remodeling some
of their stores. They eliminate all the check out lanes
except 4 and add more self-check outs. The profit margin
for supermarkets is getting tight so they eliminate their
cashiers. The inconvenience for the customers is not part
of their strategy.
When all of them go to self checkout only, it leaves no option for the customer but to accept it.

So, let me see if I have this right. Hy Vee only has automated checkout at their location that is closest and most convenient to you. So to punish them, you are going to shop at another Hy Vee that is further away and less convenient for you?

What am I missing?

We should pay for services we don't need?
Define need? Does anyone “need” valet parking? Will we “need” bus drivers or truck drivers with autonomous vehicles?

We always choose what we pay for and whether we want the experience to involve another human being or not.

As automation and AI take over more and more jobs, there will be far, far, far less “need” for any human interaction. Unfortunately, our entire economy is built on humans being needed to produce labor.

That leaves us faced with some tough choices: either pay a premium for “human touch” services, thus keeping jobs around or institute a UBI or some other disruptive overhaul of how we understand “the economy” to avoid mass unemployment, poverty and the subsequent societal problems brought on as a result.

I don’t see many other options, but I’d be curious to hear ideas you have.

Fareway in Ankeny replaced some of their checkout counters with self-check a few weeks back.

My main issue with these things, as others have noted, is that some of the systems are really dumb - tell you to take item out of bagging area before you can scan the next item, etc. Not very intuitive in my opinion.

But yeah, this is something that could hurt the job market for teens especially who are looking for their first jobs.

My guess is they’re moving toward self check as the primary method but will accommodate any special needs with traditional check out.

Certainly some customers won’t like it and move to new markets.

I worked there in high school. Funny thing, during orientation they told me people are willing to spend more for their groceries at HyVee because of the service and drive up. Lol

The self check out machines have improved over the years, mostly (stupid fcking Jewel). I hated the experience of:

"Unexpected item in the baggage area." Look pathetically over to self checkout employee.

Some of them got better at produce as you can just start typing the item name like and it starts to eliminate down to available items as you type.

Reactions: ThorneStockton

Unless of course we're talking about a coal mining job, amirite?

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT