ADVERTISEMENT

Johnston Hy-Vee is NOT going to be 100% self checkout after all!

I’m paying for the stuff, no way I’m doing the labor. My Hy-Vee in IC tried this years ago and they just wound up with longer lines.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Fareway in Ankeny replaced some of their checkout counters with self-check a few weeks back.

My main issue with these things, as others have noted, is that some of the systems are really dumb - tell you to take item out of bagging area before you can scan the next item, etc. Not very intuitive in my opinion.

But yeah, this is something that could hurt the job market for teens especially who are looking for their first jobs.

It's also not good for elderly people

Reactions: sober_teacher
It has been coming. How have you not noticed any of this until now? Even Fareway has added self checkouts. The same place that will take your groceries to your car like it is 1950.

We should keep complaining that people who are in needless positions should be paid more for a job that doesn't need done. That's sure to reverse the trend.
I have nothing against having some self-check registers available. They are great for small purchases. But they are nothing but a hassle for medium-large orders. And older shoppers. I realize you probably have no sympathy for folks in their ‘70s and ‘80s, but many of them just have problems with self checkout.

I worked for Hy-Vee decades ago, for 8 1/2 years. I remember when scanners were first introduced. My wife also worked as a checker for a time. But even we had trouble. Three times during my order the scanner quit working and an employee had to step in. She finally had finish it herself. Most of the other registers/shoppers were also having problems, and employees had to take over. The whole process took much longer than having checkers/sackers.

Hy-Vee used to be about service....”A Helpful Smile in Every Aisle.” Charles Hyde and David Vredenberg are rolling in their graves.

Wal-Mart in CR added bigger self checkout lanes so you can do a cartfull easier.

Yeah, I hate the place but the cost difference with Hy-Vee is substantial.

Our local HyVee did this and the Facebook Karen's started screaming that they were done shopping there. Turned out they were remodeling and just moved the cashiers to other jobs while construction of the area was being done. Regardless, you will see this ramp up a bunch. What value does the cashier at any retail store truly add? Maybe have one person for security and tech glitches. Same with fast food cashiers...a touch screen can do the same thing.

The service industry is in for a massive change over the next decade. A lot of displacement coming. New industry will pop up but I don't think it will balance out the loss of jobs.

I have nothing against having some self-check registers available. They are great for small purchases. But they are nothing but a hassle for medium-large orders. And older shoppers. I realize you probably have no sympathy for folks in their ‘70s and ‘80s, but many of them just have problems with self checkout.

I worked for Hy-Vee decades ago, for 8 1/2 years. I remember when scanners were first introduced. My wife also worked as a checker for a time. But even we had trouble. Three times during my order the scanner quit working and an employee had to step in. She finally had finish it herself. Most of the other registers/shoppers were also having problems, and employees had to take over. The whole process took much longer than having checkers/sackers.

Hy-Vee used to be about service....”A Helpful Smile in Every Aisle.” Charles Hyde and David Vredenberg are rolling in their graves.

HyVee...where there's a heaping pile in every aisle.

So, let me see if I have this right. Hy Vee only has automated checkout at their location that is closest and most convenient to you. So to punish them, you are going to shop at another Hy Vee that is further away and less convenient for you?

What am I missing?
I may just go to the Johnston Fareway instead, which is even more convenient than Hy-Vee.

My guess is they’re moving toward self check as the primary method but will accommodate any special needs with traditional check out.

Certainly some customers won’t like it and move to new markets.

If Hy-Vee AND Fareway are moving to this, that leaves only a few upscale places (e.g. Whole Foods) places and a few local ethnic groceries that aren't pushing those. And maybe Wholes Foods is pushing self checkout, I don't go there. Oh and Trader Joes.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Define need? Does anyone “need” valet parking? Will we “need” bus drivers or truck drivers with autonomous vehicles?

We always choose what we pay for and whether we want the experience to involve another human being or not.

As automation and AI take over more and more jobs, there will be far, far, far less “need” for any human interaction. Unfortunately, our entire economy is built on humans being needed to produce labor.

That leaves us faced with some tough choices: either pay a premium for “human touch” services, thus keeping jobs around or institute a UBI or some other disruptive overhaul of how we understand “the economy” to avoid mass unemployment, poverty and the subsequent societal problems brought on as a result.

I don’t see many other options, but I’d be curious to hear ideas you have.
We have always paid extra for additional and/or premium services. We don't need valet parking but it's something we pay for either directly or indirectly if we go somewhere that offers it. There will always be a place, for example, for baggers at a supermarket. But there will be less of an overall need for them when some grocers go self checkout only. Some will offer the experience we generally assume when we go to a grocery store and it will be their niche. You'll also likely pay more for the service. There's nothing wrong with that on either side of the coin. My point is simply that it is inevitable that when services or job functions aren't needed, they're going to be cut out. Particularly when it starts costing the company more, through increased wages or benefits. If an owner/executive doesn't push for it, stockholders are sure to.

I wonder how much money they will lose in theft.
It's going to be more with people scanning and bagging their own items.

Reactions: MitchLL

Ah, now I have "no sympathy for folks in their '70s and '80s". Classic.

The self checkouts have come a long way from when they were first introduced. They were nothing about issues. I also worked at Kmart in high school when they first rolled some out on the floor. I somehow seem to recall those working better than they did at most places at the time, surprisingly. Even the Fareway one I used yesterday was a slight PITA on two of my 9 items. Walmart and Hy Vee ones seem to work pretty well nowadays.

Worse than the self checkout are the bagging stations at these places. I despise the lick-the-thumb to flip through paper method, it's gross, but it would work really well on these bags. But I have a mask on in the first place, restricting my ability to do so.

And, assuming I get the bag open, then I get to place my items in a space that is hopefully 1/3 of the size that the traditional checkout lanes get.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I live in Johnston and do most of my grocery shopping there. Went in this morning for our weekly groceries and discovered they have gone 100% self-checkout. What a crock. Not even ONE register with a checker. Wife was furious.

From now on we’ll go to the Hy-Vee on the south end of Ankeny. If/when they go 100% self-checkout then we’ll go to Fareway (who likely never will).

If I wanted the checkout and bag groceries I would get a job doing so.
My daughter lives near Beaver Creek Elementary and stopped shopping at that HyVee because of the privileged white trash that patronize that store.

I'll let her know that it's safe to go back there now.

Would also expect "shoplifting/unscanned purchases" to rise.

Last edited:
To protest an area retirement home should drop off a bus load of seniors and ask them to each fill up a cart.
Obviously each one would write a check, and then balance their checkbook while you wait behind them in line holding a watermelon and a gallon of milk because you can't put them down until they are gone because COVID.

Oh, and coupons. Don't forget coupons.

I typically get my groceries at target as it is just down the road from where I work. Despite doing a horrible job of keeping stuff in stock since COVID, I have found that it is faster to go to the regular checkouts as everybody lines up and waits for the self checkouts to open (they are too lazy to even walk to the other end at their empty self checkouts).

I have not seen it in any of the hyvees I frequent but if the move is eventually lead to all self checkout, I just wish this technology will be standard

HyVee...where there's a heaping pile in every aisle.

Reminds me of the time someone took a dump on the floor at the Utica Ridge Hyvee in Davenport. We walked in and were like is that a poop? Yes, it was a poop. We got our stuff and self checked out, on your way back to the exit we see a teen employee looking confused and a bit defeated standing by the mysterious hy-vee poop.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I am not a big fan of self checkout. However, the other day, when the old lady checkout person decided to have a lengthy conversation with the customer, as 5 people are stacked up waiting about sent me over the edge.

Reactions: Moral
Automation is here to stay and has been doing its thing for a very long time. If you use an atm happily, this is the same thing. that said, we should have a strategy for income/employment even as we embrace automation.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I have to laugh at people who struggle with the self scanners. 98% of the time it is user error.

But some people, the really old or feeble and stupid people, need that service.

I haven’t been inside a grocery store since the pandemic started (just get everything delivered), but I would use self checkout 100 times out of 100 if it’s available. The Amazon stores that allow you to just grab stuff off the shelves and go would be my ideal grocery store.

This is temporary. Eventually you will just pull items off shelf, put them in cart, and when you leave your bank account will be automatically charged for your purchases.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
It's hard to blame Hy-Vee I guess. Especially right now. In the last six months, they've had to build plexiglass cubes around registers, shower curtain perimeters, buy masks for all their employees. Worry about exposing staff to the virus and potential lawsuits.
It would be pretty easy to look at all that and say, 'Well...let's go with the robots'.

I have to laugh at people who struggle with the self scanners. 98% of the time it is user error.

But some people, the really old or feeble and stupid people, need that service.
Oh really? If it was user error, why did an employee have to step in and do an override on the scanner THREE TIMES? And apologize that it wasn’t working correctly? I also resent being called stupid. My wife and I have both worked at Hy-Vee and checked out customers using scanners. We know how they work. Apparently there were a lot of stupid, feeble customers because most of them were having problems.

That being said.....I expressed my dissatisfaction to the management and they assured me they were adding 4 full service registers today. Small victory.

Reactions: Pinehawk
This is temporary. Eventually you will just pull items off shelf, put them in cart, and when you leave your bank account will be automatically charged for your purchases.
I keep waiting for this. I think it was IBM that had a commercial that suggested this idea 20 years ago. Either you are charged when you take items off the shelf (like Amazon stores) or your entire cart is scanned as you walk out the door.

Oh really? If it was user error, why did an employee have to step in and do an override on the scanner THREE TIMES? And apologize that it wasn’t working correctly? I also resent being called stupid. My wife and I have both worked at Hy-Vee and checked out customers using scanners. We know how they work. Apparently there were a lot of stupid, feeble customers because most of them were having problems.

That being said.....I expressed my dissatisfaction to the management and they assured me they were adding 4 full service registers today. Small victory.
2% of the time it is equipment malfunction. Sorry it happened to you.

The only time I ever had a problem was trying to buy spray paint at Wally world. Had to call the lady over so she could check my ID.

I live in Johnston and do most of my grocery shopping there. Went in this morning for our weekly groceries and discovered they have gone 100% self-checkout. What a crock. Not even ONE register with a checker. Wife was furious.

From now on we’ll go to the Hy-Vee on the south end of Ankeny. If/when they go 100% self-checkout then we’ll go to Fareway (who likely never will).

If I wanted the checkout and bag groceries I would get a job doing so.

Fareway is already starting to put some self-check registers in at some locations.

ADVERTISEMENT