ADVERTISEMENT

Johnston Hy-Vee is NOT going to be 100% self checkout after all!

The self check out machines have improved over the years, mostly (stupid fcking Jewel). I hated the experience of:

"return the item to the bagging area"

"You removed an item from the bagging area"

"an unknown item is in the bagging area"

Produce is also annoying to do self checkout.

Thats when you leave a full cart of groceries at the self check out and walk out in a minor rage

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I don’t mind using self check out if I only have a couple items. But if I have a whole cart full of things, especially a bunch of produce… There’s no way I would want to do self check out. And I was even a Hy-Vee cashier in high school/college.

This is where I'm at. If I have a large haul, I want somebody checking groceries. However, if I'm just getting some batteries or a loaf of bread, I don't want to wait in like for 15 minutes just to pay for it.

I live in Johnston and do most of my grocery shopping there. Went in this morning for our weekly groceries and discovered they have gone 100% self-checkout. What a crock. Not even ONE register with a checker. Wife was furious.

From now on we’ll go to the Hy-Vee on the south end of Ankeny. If/when they go 100% self-checkout then we’ll go to Fareway (who likely never will).

If I wanted the checkout and bag groceries I would get a job doing so.

#TooCheapForCurbsidePickup

We either support the service industry or we go to UBI. It has to be one or the other otherwise we will have mass unemployment and poverty as AI and automation increase.
Except this is not a case of automation taking the job of the cashier, it's the customer doing the store's job for them.

Self-checkout isn't terrible. What's terrible is it being the only option. I can understand stores offering both options.

Reactions: dirtypool
The only reason to shop at hy-vee is for the take out, bakery or freshest seafood around. Other than that I much prefer Fareway. The store setup is awful and I find most everything is over priced.

The only reason to shop at hy-vee is for the take out, bakery or freshest seafood around. Other than that I much prefer Fareway. The store setup is awful and I find most everything is over priced.

Hy-Vee has gotten way too big, literally. The couple times i'm back in Iowa I hate going the one in Waukee, especially if I need to just pick up a couple things. Bigger is not better when it comes to grocery stores, they've gone overboard with the size of their stores.

Reactions: gojojo
Except this is not a case of automation taking the job of the cashier, it's the customer doing the store's job for them.

I had a big debate about this in an online discussion with someone in one of my economic classes about this. I kept trying to tell him that self checkouts were the result of management types and bean counters finding out that they can get the customer to do the work that they pay people for.

He kept insisting that self checkouts were a result of automation because it took the amount of people in the transaction from two (the cashier and the customer) to one. I said it did not do anything to automate the actual job. The job still requires the items to be scanned and the payment to be accepted. He countered with the software is made that somebody with no training (the customer) could do it. I asked him if he thought that stores wouldn't make their software more efficient if self checkout wasn't a thing for their cashiers to get people through the checkout faster. He kept trying to compare it to ATM's and other garbage.

I pointed to the technology with Amazongo stores as being an example of automation eliminating cashier jobs.

Did you ask if his was a “unique” situation? Strange no other Hy Vees have moved this direction. It would certainly seem to be @news worthy”... but HyVee is pretty much cutting edge.
The manager was nice enough to email me. He said there will be 4 “regular” registers but they have not been installed yet. He apologized for the poor communication.

That makes me feel better. I still don’t like that there is about 12 self service registers and only 4 with a cashier, but I guess it’s better than nothing. It’s a small store (not much bigger than the Fareway), so shouldn’t be a problem for us.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I like self checkout, except, can never get the plastic bags to open. Too much effort required

The manager was nice enough to email me. He said there will be 4 “regular” registers but they have not been installed yet. He apologized for the poor communication.

That makes me feel better. I still don’t like that there is about 12 self service registers and only 4 with a cashier, but I guess it’s better than nothing. It’s a small store (not much bigger than the Fareway), so shouldn’t be a problem for us.

will those four have cashiers always staffed, or will they have four available and only one cashier working?

I remember when the Johnston Hy Vee wasn’t much bigger than a big Casey’s. I think it had only 8 aisles in the early 90s.

I had a big debate about this in an online discussion with someone in one of my economic classes about this. I kept trying to tell him that self checkouts were the result of management types and bean counters finding out that they can get the customer to do the work that they pay people for.

He kept insisting that self checkouts were a result of automation because it took the amount of people in the transaction from two (the cashier and the customer) to one. I said it did not do anything to automate the actual job. The job still requires the items to be scanned and the payment to be accepted. He countered with the software is made that somebody with no training (the customer) could do it. I asked him if he thought that stores wouldn't make their software more efficient if self checkout wasn't a thing for their cashiers to get people through the checkout faster. He kept trying to compare it to ATM's and other garbage.

I pointed to the technology with Amazongo stores as being an example of automation eliminating cashier jobs.
Your arguments are sensible but self-checkouts also eliminate cash and checks which allow a not insignificant chunk of work (it’s not just restricted to the store) to no longer be required.

7e154c24c95c7e243e1c68b6375aca4d.jpg

I live in Johnston and do most of my grocery shopping there. Went in this morning for our weekly groceries and discovered they have gone 100% self-checkout. What a crock. Not even ONE register with a checker. Wife was furious.

UPDATE........manager emailed me. He indicated they will have 4 “regular” registers but they have not been installed yet. He apologized for the poor communication and misunderstanding.
Fareway put in self checkout and I avoid it at all costs....something always ****s up. You always see people waiting for human checkout while their bullshit machines are available.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
It has been coming. How have you not noticed any of this until now? Even Fareway has added self checkouts. The same place that will take your groceries to your car like it is 1950.

We should keep complaining that people who are in needless positions should be paid more for a job that doesn't need done. That's sure to reverse the trend.
As I mentioned a few posts ago....f those machines. I see workers needed to correct something for nearly every person using it lol.

The technology is still be refined. But, I don’t think it is going away anytime soon.
The weak link in many companies, in regards to making them more profit, is employees.
Employees want wages, you need to schedule them, they quit, they could catch a virus...
Finding a way to cut them out eliminates a lot of uncertainty and volatility in the business.

I‘m sure they are loving this ‘Isles online’ trend too.
Why pay to stock an entire store of things people might buy, when you can take preorders and sell what you decide to offer?

Reactions: Fan In Black
Self checkout is the best, try not to go to places that don’t have it. Much easier and quicker. Who wants some nasty coughing kid touching his/her eyes and nose constantly touching your purchases?? All stores should offer self checkout. No clue why anyone waits in line to have someone scan their items.

No clue why anyone waits in line to have someone scan their items.

More times than not, I spend less time waiting by going to a regular checkout at Target than I would be if I go to wait in line at self checkout

The technology is still be refined. But, I don’t think it is going away anytime soon.
The weak link in many companies, in regards to making them more profit, is employees.
Employees want wages, you need to schedule them, they quit, they could catch a virus...
Finding a way to cut them out eliminates a lot of uncertainty and volatility in the business.

I‘m sure they are loving this ‘Isles online’ trend too.
Why pay to stock an entire store of things people might buy, when you can take preorders and sell what you decide to offer?
Indeed, and someday they're gonna have trouble finding customers ;)

I typically shop Kowalski’s which doesn’t have self checkout...but the store manages it very well so the waits are very short. Otherwise I typically shop Target rarely buying more than 10 items at a time therefore use self check. Very convenient.

I love self checkout, even if I have a cart full of stuff. There usually isn't anyone in them and I can buzz right through. Normally the people I would have been waiting behind aren't even checking out yet when I leave. If the store goes self check out only though, thats no good. Half the people in those lines will take 20 min to check out. My grandma and grandma would take a whole morning to get their weekly groceries checked out.

The customer should be paid for their time. Bag you own bags for 15 minutes, get paid $2.00.
Yep, I think if you bag your own, there should be some sort of perk, like a percentage off your purchase or a percentage toward a rewards card.

A fully implemented self checkout setup is an ADA violation waiting to happen
No it isn't. Every hyvee I know of offers curbside or delivery. Any person with a disability is probably already using these options and if they aren't someone should tell them about it so they can start.

Question: Can you go through self checkout with alcohol in Iowa? I've been to a few states where you can't. Anyone know the law in Iowa?

Question: Can you go through self checkout with alcohol in Iowa? I've been to a few states where you can't. Anyone know the law in Iowa?
Yes, but an employee has to override the scanner to accept the liquor.

No it isn't. Every hyvee I know of offers curbside or delivery. Any person with a disability is probably already using these options and if they aren't someone should tell them about it so they can start.

Walmart has already been sued for that.

And we all know what you are.

I’m surprised you aren’t blaming Kimmy for this.
Considerng that HyVee was one of the corporations at the Pence propoganda consortium, maybe there is a connection?

But why would I need to mention Kimmy's incompetence? Not exactly a well kept secret.

ADVERTISEMENT