ADVERTISEMENT

Join the Swarm to help basketball!

Join the Swarm and earmark your gift for either men's or women's basketball. $1,000 gift is tax deductible and can be earmarked for your favorite program. Your gift helps the coaches.

If you are already a member please list here. My wife and I are proud members. GO HAWKS!

www.iowaswarm.com

I agree we need more members and I am a member. At the $200 level though, you have zero input where your money goes. You hav to give $1K/year to have any say. The B-ball program needs some NIL money.

Join the Swarm and earmark your gift for either men's or women's basketball. $1,000 gift is tax deductible and can be earmarked for your favorite program. Your gift helps the coaches.

If you are already a member please list here. My wife and I are proud members. GO HAWKS!

www.iowaswarm.com
Seriously?
With all the worthy causes out there so desperately needed funding, it’s embarrassing to me to even think about contributing money to this. The next time we all wave to the kids at the children’s hospital the end of the first quarter at a football game, we should be thinking about this. Lobbying for college athletes who already have an opportunity for a free education and a prestigious college? Just embarrassing.

I’m all for the college athletes getting what they deserve, just don’t expect hard-working people who already spend hundred/thousands to support their Hawkeyes, to pony up even more.

www.iowaswarm.com
happy for you that you’re proud of your support of this “worthy cause”, but…no thanks.

With all the worthy causes out there so desperately needed funding, it takes a special kind of selfishness to even think about contributing money to something that only feeds your own gratification.

The next time we all wave to the kids at the children’s hospital the end of the first quarter of a football game, I hope we think about this. Lobbying for college athletes who already have an opportunity for a free education and an amazing university? I’m sure most disagree with me, but I think that’s embarrassing.

I can’t even fathom how this could be tax deductible. It serves no value to anyone remotely in need of assistance. This is so messed up.

www.iowaswarm.com
Can I restrict my donations that they don’t go to white guys?!?!!

happy for you that you’re proud of your support of this “worthy cause”, but…no thanks.

With all the worthy causes out there so desperately needed funding, it takes a special kind of selfishness to even think about contributing money to something that only feeds your own gratification.

The next time we all wave to the kids at the children’s hospital the end of the first quarter of a football game, I hope we think about this. Lobbying for college athletes who already have an opportunity for a free education and an amazing university? I’m sure most disagree with me, but I think that’s embarrassing.

I can’t even fathom how this could be tax deductible. It serves no value to anyone remotely in need of assistance. This is so messed up.

"With all the worthy causes out there so desperately needed funding, it takes a special kind of selfishness to even think about contributing money to something that only feeds your own gratification."

You ought to edit that post. You don't know everyone's situation and you aren't the decider of what is worthy.

I agree the system is corrupt, but if you actually follow the money, it is fat cat coaches like Kirk Ferentz, Fran, and all the other coaches across Football and Basketball that are making the big money from the players.

Reactions: amahawk
FYI

Heinrichs created two separate organizations: The Swarm Inc. and The Swarm Collective.

The Swarm Collective is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit organization
that pays Hawkeye athletes involved in football and men’s and women’s basketball as independent contractors to help serve the community.

The collective has teamed up with charities including Big Brothers Big Sisters, Horizons Meals on Wheels, Iowa Sports Foundation, the Iowa City Community School District, and Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

The Swarm Inc., on the other hand, is run like a business rather than a charity. Corporations can hire and pay a lump sum of money to Iowa athletes for advertising and marketing their products in several ways, including on social media platforms and in commercials.

FYI

Heinrichs created two separate organizations: The Swarm Inc. and The Swarm Collective.

The Swarm Collective is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit organization
that pays Hawkeye athletes involved in football and men’s and women’s basketball as independent contractors to help serve the community.

The collective has teamed up with charities including Big Brothers Big Sisters, Horizons Meals on Wheels, Iowa Sports Foundation, the Iowa City Community School District, and Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

The Swarm Inc., on the other hand, is run like a business rather than a charity. Corporations can hire and pay a lump sum of money to Iowa athletes for advertising and marketing their products in several ways, including on social media platforms and in commercials.
Does anyone know what the Swarm Collective is paying out these days? It’s the same for all players, right?

We've considered donating to the Swarm, but have decided against it for several reasons. First, student athletes already get a free ride, a $100,000+ gift over most other students at the University. Second, the Swarm pays pays players for charity work. Charity, by its definition means volunteering and getting paid isn't that. And third, the Kayden Proctor situation was the icing on the cake. Until the NCAA gets a handle on this NIL mess, there will be athletes coming to a school for a bag of $$$, then entering the portal for a better opportunity. It's not the Swarm's fault or Iowa's fault, but kids are playing the system and it's time for that to stop.

I respect those that donate and have no issue with it, it's just not something my family is going to do. At the end of the day, these kids are no longer amateurs if they're getting paid and we will not support NIL when it's basically destroying college sports.

Can I restrict my donations that they don’t go to white guys?!?!!
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Does anyone know what the Swarm Collective is paying out these days? It’s the same for all players, right?
I don't know. But I think it is sort of an hourly rate for community work. I'm guessing that whatever it is, it's the same for everyone that participates.

We've considered donating to the Swarm, but have decided against it for several reasons. First, student athletes already get a free ride, a $100,000+ gift over most other students at the University. Second, the Swarm pays pays players for charity work. Charity, by its definition means volunteering and getting paid isn't that. And third, the Kayden Proctor situation was the icing on the cake. Until the NCAA gets a handle on this NIL mess, there will be athletes coming to a school for a bag of $$$, then entering the portal for a better opportunity. It's not the Swarm's fault or Iowa's fault, but kids are playing the system and it's time for that to stop.

I respect those that donate and have no issue with it, it's just not something my family is going to do. At the end of the day, these kids are no longer amateurs if they're getting paid and we will not support NIL when it's basically destroying college sports.
Agree with all, except I don't feel as strongly about players getting some cash for charity work. I don't think it's a lot.

But I will add the following as #4 - the athletic dept is absolutely swimming in money. I know they can't "give" money to the players, but they spend it ON players. Locker rooms and weight training facilities that could pass for 4 star hotels, training tables that I'll bet are awfully good, tons of clothing and other perks, tutors, etc. These guys live like kings compared to regular students (like the three I sent to Iowa and paid for).

Not planning to give a nickel. Good for those that do.

p.s. I'm not forfeiting my right to be unhappy about teams that don't do well!

One more thing. Sports institutions, college and pro, are money institutions. They’ll take and take and take. Then, misappropriate. I agree that the players should’ve been a part of that long ago. They never realized that.

A fool and his money are soon parted. I‘ll spend mine in other foolish ways.

Reactions: QuadCityHawkeye1976
I am more of a capitalist. I would rather have student (?) athletes sell stock of themselves. Then they can pay investors a return when the get NBA or other income.

Reactions: DewHawk
Brad said the collective paid money to keep players like Higgins and Jackson from going to the NFL. They definitely give out money like when they got Cade McNamerra outside hourly rates for community service.

Brad said the collective paid money to keep players like Higgins and Jackson from going to the NFL. They definitely give out money like when they got Cade McNamerra outside hourly rates for community service.
Was that the Collective side or the Inc. side that came up with that money?

www.iowaswarm.com
Being taxed by an overreaching Federal, State, and local government... nah I will keep what money i have left and let the entitled athletes do their thing with NIL. Sports has become a shoulder shrug as to watch or not, with NIL, sitting out bowl games, and transferring as the wind blows. Interest is nose diving.

Reactions: DewHawk
Being taxed by an overreaching Federal, State, and local government... nah I will keep what money i have left and let the entitled athletes do their thing with NIL. Sports has become a shoulder shrug as to watch or not, with NIL, sitting out bowl games, and transferring as the wind blows. Interest is nose diving.

I agree interest will nosedive as Iowa gets less competitive/fans are turned off by portal/professionals playing college sports. I personally didn't watch the colllege football playoffs...who cares, Iowa has zero chance to ever get to that level.

I saw a site that says the average Big10 collective is raising around $9 million/yr. The Iowa Swarm target is to raise $3 million for mens football and basketball. We're a loser school in NIL so far....too many cheapies or idealists and too few rich guys.

I think Perkins getting $200K or $300K in his next gig is excessive....but the teams that get those type of players will win and Iowa will not.

The I-Club is raising $17 million/yr for student athletes and that is all going to the Athletic Department that is already flush with Cash....Iowa gets $150 million in revenue for its sports dept...21st rank in USA. . None of that money can go to NIL or to players, so we really have a rich Athletic department that will waste money on DEI seminars and higher coaching pay for already fat cat coaches.

If anyone is giving towards I club and they want to see a better product on the football field or mens b-ball court, then it makes sense for them to donate. I spend $1000/yr for live sports YoutubeTV just to see Hawks...directing $200 to swarm for better product to view seems like a worthwhile expense to me, others can choose not to donate. However ifyou do choose not to donate to the swarm, then you should lose some of your street credibilty to complain about the team's results.

I agree interest will nosedive as Iowa gets less competitive/fans are turned off by portal/professionals playing college sports. I personally didn't watch the colllege football playoffs...who cares, Iowa has zero chance to ever get to that level.

I saw a site that says the average Big10 collective is raising around $9 million/yr. The Iowa Swarm target is to raise $3 million for mens football and basketball. We're a loser school in NIL so far....too many cheapies or idealists and too few rich guys.

I think Perkins getting $200K or $300K in his next gig is excessive....but the teams that get those type of players will win and Iowa will not.

The I-Club is raising $17 million/yr for student athletes and that is all going to the Athletic Department that is already flush with Cash....Iowa gets $150 million in revenue for its sports dept...21st rank in USA. . None of that money can go to NIL or to players, so we really have a rich Athletic department that will waste money on DEI seminars and higher coaching pay for already fat cat coaches.

If anyone is giving towards I club and they want to see a better product on the football field or mens b-ball court, then it makes sense for them to donate. I spend $1000/yr for live sports YoutubeTV just to see Hawks...directing $200 to swarm for better product to view seems like a worthwhile expense to me, others can choose not to donate. However ifyou do choose not to donate to the swarm, then you should lose some of your street credibilty to complain about the team's results.
I wonder if we should have something like the old chickadee check-off to support major college sports in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT