ADVERTISEMENT

Joined a gym and starting a diet. Anyone up for a weight loss challenge?

Down 20 lbs since Jan 6th with 3 more to go before Hawaii trip next friday. I have been dropping 3 lbs a week every week so far. IF has been working very well for me. I have my health assessment next week on thursday and that will be interesting to see how I am in overall health.
For reasons unknown after hitting 229 I put on a couple of pounds doing basically the same thing when I lost weight. But good job!

For reasons unknown after hitting 229 I put on a couple of pounds doing basically the same thing when I lost weight. But good job!
Thanks, I usually go low carb for some quicker weight loss and that sucks for me. it does work though. I really like the IF option and it feels like it could be a lifestyle that I could live with long term. I get pretty intense/insane when I need to drop weight for a vacation. I have been very strict with my diet and my workouts. 3 lbs more to go and I will be happy. This last 3 wont be easy for sure.

Jesus H.......

I feel like I’ve been doing the right things, yet I’m blowing up like an Albuquerque Balloon Festival participant!

206 even this morning.

I’m beginning to not like these weekly updates as much as I thought I might.

Z

Good job fellas. I’ll jump in , 6’3- 245lbs at start of the year. Now at 236 this morning, ideally want to get to 200 or less. But I’ve been lifting primarily and playing pick up basketball with almost no change in my diet. The torn pec and bicep discussion makes me a bit nervous. I’ve only been working with free weights and a bench and a general leg curl lat pull down machine.

Good job fellas. I’ll jump in , 6’3- 245lbs at start of the year. Now at 236 this morning, ideally want to get to 200 or less. But I’ve been lifting primarily and playing pick up basketball with almost no change in my diet. The torn pec and bicep discussion makes me a bit nervous. I’ve only been working with free weights and a bench and a general leg curl lat pull down machine.
Final pre trip update.. I was at 196.2 on jan 6th, today I am at 174.9 and leave tonight for vacation. IF and exercise worked well for me. Never felt starved for the most part. I liked IF much better than just low carb which felt like torture sometimes.

Ok, so, HUGE loss this week. Finally. 199.6. A little over 6lbs. If I know my body, I will lose about 3 more pretty easily, then plateau out for a time around 194-196. After the plateau, there will be a drop again to like 190-191, then another plateau.

things get tougher after that, but I’m a little driven, so.....

Z

Reactions: Tenacious E
Of course, my body (and me) are getting older.....so maybe I don’t know sic’em about what my body decides it will or won’t do at this point in my life and Will do what it wants, when it wants! We will see!

Z

I had a good week as well. After stagnating for about a month and a half finally down a couple more pounds and up to 8.7% lost since November 11. Not gonna hit my ultimate goal before my son's wedding but I can be fairly close and should hit it by summer. And I should still rock that mother of the groom dress which is really what is important.

well, got back from my dr appt. 341.2

up quite a bit from my appointment about a year ago, but 6 months prior to that appt I was up where I currently am.

pretty much was inconsistent since last spring with my running, but ate like I did when I was running 5-6 times a week.

the trek downwards starts now.

Running? You can run? Cause I can't!

Oh......to be young and overweight again!

Z

Reactions: 3boysmom
Running? You can run? Cause I can't!

Oh......to be young and overweight again!

Z

I haven't been consistently lately.
still hovering around my weighing weight from this post.

Last spring, I was about 45 pounds lighter and was hitting sub 10 minute miles on a regular basis. Fastest outdoor mile I hit was 9:20. Treadmill running, while increasing the speed with some HIIT really improved my pace.

Well, apparently, I don’t know squat about what’s going to happen with my body! Up a fraction this week at 200.2.

intermittent fasting, watching what I do eat and how much, not working. Ok, time to go caveman and do the old high school wrestling workout stuff too?

Nah, I’m too old to wear 3 layers and exercise in a sauna!

Maybe just sprinkle in some gym time?

Z

Reactions: 3boysmom
Still losing, slowly but surely. Up to 9.7% lost since November 11. And a ridiculous percentage since June 22 since I still have a fair amount to get to goal weight. Good news I am ridiculously healthy. Zero meds, zero conditions, feel as good as I did in my 30s. Hope you all are doing well.

Reactions: voodoo13
Ok, let me jump in on this now. Excuse the TLDR...but...

Started last spring to low carb...not super doctrinaire, just basically cut out all the "good stuff"...no bread, no potatoes, no sweets. I didn't weigh myself to start, and didn't weigh myself as it progressed...however, I did drop probably 4 belt holes and got into jean sizes that I haven't been in for a while (too be clear...I'm starting from a real place of fatness). The idea was for it to be a lifestyle change instead of a diet, and I didn't want to make it a daily weigh in thing (or join this thread) because of the psychological implication that this would be a temporary diet, or there was an end goal, etc.

Anyway, about the middle of the year I started dealing with some personal drama that started to cause slippage, which blew into a full blown existential crisis in the fall, the worst period in my life by many degrees. Pretty much October-January I just ate and drank whatever I wanted trying to keep my head above water, and to self sooth I guess. I just didn't have the remaining psychological reserves to direct any willpower and discipline toward eating. Put about two belt holes back on, but not quite enough to need more clothes or anything. But quite a setback.

Anyway, as that situation eased back into normalcy thank God, I'm back at it, and this time it's serious business. In addition to just wanting to be healthier, my life insurance comes up for renewal in August, and I can't be doing that in the shape I'm in. So I'm not effing around anymore.

About the second week of February, I went back strict low carb. Two weeks later, I quit a serious diet soda habit, something I was never willing/able to do in previous diet phases. Once I felt confident that was going to stick, I bought a scale last week. I wanted to wait until that first couple weeks of water weight droppage was over before I started weighing myself

"Starting" at 257. Probably was mid 260s when I actually began in February. I'd guess I was pushing 280 when I first started last year.

254 today. I'd like to get down to 220, and then see where it goes.

I've done it before...when I was in my late 20s/early 30s, I'd lost about 80 pounds on low carb, but I put it all back on over a decade. Some what lack of discipline, some was hitting that age of kids where you're always on the run, have to eat restaurants or convenient meals. That time is passed now, I can shop, plan, cook for what I want again.

So I know it can be done, other than I'll be fighting an older man's metabolism now. I've tried several times to start low carbing again, but was always frustrated that it didn't really "kick in" like it did the first time. I've blamed it on having an older metabolism, but I think/hope the missing piece was the heavy diet coke. I feel it kicked in this time...the better energy, the ending of cravings, and primarily the reduced appetite that was everything the first time around. That's back, and I think this is going to work.

I'm not really trying to lose weight anymore but concentrating on not gaining weight and therefore have been losing weight slowly. I'm at 186 right now. 185 is my line where I add some more calories to my diet.

Literally, 3 straight weeks of 200.2! I think for my mental well being, there needs to be a change, downward, very soon. It’s gonna be tougher for a few weeks though....Mrs Z will be working from home instead of flying to NYC. That means she will want to prepare meals. I’m not into a meal plan during the week! Maybe it will help, who knows.

Guess the gym is out of the question for awhile....

Z

Ok, now its 4 weeks at 200 and a fraction. I'm not under quarantine, but all our restaurants are, so haven't been eating out. Eating at home probably isn't helping my waist line, but it is helping my pocketbook.

I suppose I should just be happy it isn't going up.

Z

I really feel like I'm the only one left here...….It's an empty thread.

I'm up a bit this week, 202.2. An even 2lbs.

I think it might be time to start my 2 mile walks again.

Z

Z
Yeah, I gave everything back to the man in the last couple of weeks of being a shut in. Nothing of value to post. I will restart this thing today and weigh in tomorrow.

Z
Yeah. 235.5 today. time to get this thing going again!

201.4 this morning.

May as well have said “no change”, but sometimes, it’s the little victories you have to claim to keep you moving in the right direction.

Z

Edited for reboot. Now a New Year's weight loss challenge. For those reporting in 2020... poster/start weight/current weight/pounds lost/% lost:

Tenacious E 233, 230.5, -2.5, ,-1.1%

The_Devil 230, 224, -6, -2.6%

JohnBasedow 248.1, 248.1, -0, -0.0%

Mike Zierath 205.8, 202, -3.8, -1.8%

VodkaSam 209

BABiscuit 247.4

Jasnonrann 232

Randy Marsh 218, 212.5, -2.7%
As a result of being locked out of my health club, I ordered resistance bands and they are expected to arrive any day now. theres a lot of fun workouts on YouTube, too.

can't wait to get started. the videos look like fun and you can go outside & work out with them!

203.6 this morning, but boy oh boy, that prime rib I smoked, and the leftover made beef and noodles, the Venison steaks with all the trimmings and the crappie fish fry with fries, hush puppies, homemade rolls and frozen sweet corn that came with it, oh, and cherry pie, along with chocolate/butterscotch chip cookies MrsZ made were all amazing the last two weeks!

Jesus, my wife needs to start traveling again soon or I’m gonna start looking more like another poster on here, who will remain nameless.

Z

Reactions: jellyfish10
203.6 this morning, but boy oh boy, that prime rib I smoked, and the leftover made beef and noodles, the Venison steaks with all the trimmings and the crappie fish fry with fries, hush puppies, homemade rolls and frozen sweet corn that came with it, oh, and cherry pie, along with chocolate/butterscotch chip cookies MrsZ made were all amazing the last two weeks!

Jesus, my wife needs to start traveling again soon or I’m gonna start looking more like another poster on here, who will remain nameless.

Z

Give us a hint.

2 0 F'ing 3. Guess I should be happy I'm down .6

Must have pee'd before I got on the scale.

On a brighter note, been doing a lot of fishing, and have done pretty good lately. Two 2nd's and a 1st, recently. Going out Sunday morning with a pretty good place-kicker here in the metro that likes to fish and who's mom used to intimidate the hell out of me with her vast sports knowledge. He fancy's himself to be a Nebraska fan, but he's really a Hawkeye through and through. If he keeps his head on straight, he will likely get an opportunity to play at least soccer in college. Good kid.

Still making too many god damn good dinners at home. Tonight, its a pork chop casserole, just about done, gotta check on it. Yes, I cook like the chef I am!

Z

I got under 200, then my little health issue hit and I went back to 215. Im back to biking 50+ miles a week again.

Meditation is huge too.

Let this be a lesson; never ever ignore hypertension

Happy to report I’ve dropped to 198.2.

trying to keep The downward trend moving.

it’s a fishing tournament weekend boys, bad weather and all! Good luck to me!

Z
Happy to report I’ve dropped to 198.2.

trying to keep The downward trend moving.

it’s a fishing tournament weekend boys, bad weather and all! Good luck to me!

Z
After SIP and some bad choices, got back up to 238. Now back down to 232, despite the crappy weather the last two weeks and not being active. Hoping with the upcoming nice weather I finally get back down into the 220s.

199.3, happy it's still under 2 bills!
Gyms are open, been there’s couple times already this week......gonna be a journey! I need to get on the Marshall Yanda weight loss plan!

another tournament in the books last weekend, another check cashed! My current dilemma is whether to fish a local tournament against my buddies next weekend, or, head to Muskogee to fish on the Arkansas River to get ready for the B.A.S.S. Central open next month.

Z

199.3, happy it's still under 2 bills!
Gyms are open, been there’s couple times already this week......gonna be a journey! I need to get on the Marshall Yanda weight loss plan!

another tournament in the books last weekend, another check cashed! My current dilemma is whether to fish a local tournament against my buddies next weekend, or, head to Muskogee to fish on the Arkansas River to get ready for the B.A.S.S. Central open next month.

Z
Whats the ultimate number goal Mike? I havent posted in this thread since my trip end of Feb and I am at 182 now with a new goal of 172 by july 4th.

Whats the ultimate number goal Mike? I havent posted in this thread since my trip end of Feb and I am at 182 now with a new goal of 172 by july 4th.

Not sure I have an ultimate goal. I am always way more comfortable around 185, but less than that would be good too. We'll see what happens.

Z

After going from 232 down to 223 and back up to 233 I am now at 213. Still 8 lbs to go to hit the next goal. SUCK IT AHA and your high carb lies!!!
I have not weighed myself lately. Started lifting weights with my son three weeks ago. I get to be more active and he’s making gains. Gained 10 pounds max bench from 175 to 185. We’ll get him over 2 bills by Xmas. He’s motivated, eats well, and is dedicated. The added Benny is that we are getting a bunch of good bonding and quality time at the gym and commiserating about how sore we are. Stuff of life. Csb

Put on the COVID 25. Haven’t been in gym since Feb.
Going back soon now that golf league is over.
Weight @ 235. Could stand to lose/rearrange at 220. Want to do another powerlifting meet. Need to tune up. Have some records to look at when I hit 60.

I have bounced around quite a bit this summer 245 up to 260. This morning weighed in at 248. I have been able to cut out diet soda, was doing A serious number to my kidneys, possible early diabetes as well. That seems to be better the last 3 weeks. Need to get down another 20 lbs hopefully by thanksgiving.

Hit the scale at 244.8 today. Going in the right direction. Food choices have been much better, still need some work. Plan to start increasing the activity up as we go into fall. Would love to be able to tip the scales at 225 for Thanksgiving, but that may be too optimistic. One day at a time.

Reactions: jasonrann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT