ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Budmayr, the "Offensive Analyst." Kirk calls him a "Gift from Heaven."

Pretty sure Budmayr didn’t like his options after being fired last year and decided to take this Iowa gig for a year while he waits for a better opportunity. It’s a win/win and if a spot opens up on Iowa’s staff, great, but I’m sure KF doesn’t expect him to stick around in his current role past this season.

200.gif

The scenario appears to me to be the following: Iowa did not pursue Budmayr, he pursued Iowa, as evidenced by the fact he came in as a volunteer. So he saw what he felt were readily fixable problems (low hanging fruit) that Iowa either had not identified or were incapable of fixing.
Budmayr likely had some payout stipulation in his contract with CSU. Thus, he likely agreed to be a volunteer consultant for the Hawks ,,, because it would be fiscally advantageous for him to volunteer (so he'd still get the monies due to him from his contract). It's pretty common with these contracts that if they prematurely fire you (without cause) - they still need to pay you UNLESS you get a job elsewhere. Had he gotten a paying job at Iowa ... it probably would have undermined the OC pay that CSU would have to pay him.

Once Budmayr came available ... he's simply a good fit for our O.

As others have indicated, he's familiar with offensive systems that are similar to our own. He knows how to scheme TEs well (just look at how McBride did at CSU). He's a former QB ... so he obviously knows and appreciates the position. He's familiar with using a pro-style O ... with him being a protege under Chryst. After that, he worked under Addazio (a guy with an OL background). Now he's working at Iowa.

He's in a position where he can contribute ... and it could make a noticeable impact. Furthermore, he gets to learn how Kirk does things ... and Kirk's very well respected in the coaching community. Iowa can learn from Budmayr ... and Budmayr can learn from Iowa. The objective is for both parties to benefit as much as possible.

As another said ... Budmayr isn't there to teach Brian his job. However, the fact that Budmayr understands the mind of a QB ... it can help Brian to understand how a QB can and should see the game. Furthermore, it can give Brian ideas on how to help his QBs better process data - and better run Iowa's O as a result.

Obviously, Budmayr is in the position in order to learn and grow ... so that it can push his career further forward.

Heck ... part of the deal might also relate to Budmayr having pro-coaching aspirations. Both Brian and Kirk are a little more "pro-minded" as coaches. Thus, learning how Iowa does things ... and then having Kirk be a positive reference ... that can open doors at a number of places in the NFL. Again ... it's a good career building step for Jon.

Retired???????
Not yet. We'll have to go the full 3 1/2 more years anyway. Wife said I better find something else to do then, cause she doesn't want me just hanging around the house, LOL. Hell maybe I'll get to come up for a few Hawk games then.. :) :)

Budmayr likely had some payout stipulation in his contract with CSU. Thus, he likely agreed to be a volunteer consultant for the Hawks ,,, because it would be fiscally advantageous for him to volunteer (so he'd still get the monies due to him from his contract). It's pretty common with these contracts that if they prematurely fire you (without cause) - they still need to pay you UNLESS you get a job elsewhere. Had he gotten a paying job at Iowa ... it probably would have undermined the OC pay that CSU would have to pay him.

As others have indicated, he's familiar with offensive systems that are similar to our own. He knows how to scheme TEs well (just look at how McBride did at CSU). He's a former QB ... so he obviously knows and appreciates the position. He's familiar with using a pro-style O ... with him being a protege under Chryst. After that, he worked under Addazio (a guy with an OL background). Now he's working at Iowa.

He's in a position where he can contribute ... and it could make a noticeable impact. Furthermore, he gets to learn how Kirk does things ... and Kirk's very well respected in the coaching community. Iowa can learn from Budmayr ... and Budmayr can learn from Iowa. The objective is for both parties to benefit as much as possible.

As another said ... Budmayr isn't there to teach Brian his job. However, the fact that Budmayr understands the mind of a QB ... it can help Brian to understand how a QB can and should see the game. Furthermore, it can give Brian ideas on how to help his QBs better process data - and better run Iowa's O as a result.

Obviously, Budmayr is in the position in order to learn and grow ... so that it can push his career further forward.

Heck ... part of the deal might also relate to Budmayr having pro-coaching aspirations. Both Brian and Kirk are a little more "pro-minded" as coaches. Thus, learning how Iowa does things ... and then having Kirk be a positive reference ... that can open doors at a number of places in the NFL. Again ... it's a good career building step for Jon.
Nice reasoned post ghost.....

Reactions: cmhawks99
Not yet. We'll have to go the full 3 1/2 more years anyway. Wife said I better find something else to do then, cause she doesn't want me just hanging around the house, LOL. Hell maybe I'll get to come up for a few Hawk games then.. :) :)
I retired at 62 - best decision I ever made. It may not be for everyone but I sure love it!

I retired at 62 - best decision I ever made. It may not be for everyone but I sure love it!
Financially, I COULD probably retire, but with the rising cost of health care being such an unknown, I'll probably do the three + more years. My job is a lot less taxing then it used to be physically, and actually probably helps me over all from putting on some extra weight.... :(

Reactions: BBHawk
Financially, I COULD probably retire, but with the rising cost of health care being such an unknown, I'll probably do the three + more years. My job is a lot less taxing then it used to be physically, and actually probably helps me over all from putting on some extra weight.... :(
I get more exercise than I did working now. No longer tied to a desk/PC. Lots of hiking and biking since back surgery!

May be the most reasonable post I've read on anything, anywhere, lol, in a while.

Spot on, makes perfect sense.

One other thought as I prepare to go into hibernation from posting for a while… This is the absolute perfect scenario for Iowa. A little bit underappreciated, a lot of returning starters, and uptick in recruiting over the last 3-4 years, it appears we have an insane defense and an incredible punter… Budmayr is honestly the wildcard… we have a real chance here boys…

We will play the right quarterback and we also will understand if we need to switch…

Regardless of their offensive inefficiencies, this isn’t a stupid staff! I don’t think any of them are unaware that this is an incredible opportunity over these next couple seasons!

About half the CFO's in the world don't know much. Many don't even really have finance or accounting training. I am in that arena and I have seen it over and over. They rely on the underlings to carry them through. They are just talking heads.

Kind of like people who get on Boards of companies and know jack squat about running a business or the industry the business is in.
You must be important! Undercover Boss isn't the real world. Not trying to be mean, but most good owners have a finger on the pulse of there corporation. I'm probably wrong JMHO.

You must be important! Undercover Boss isn't the real world. Not trying to be mean, but most good owners have a finger on the pulse of there corporation. I'm probably wrong JMHO.
Not the ones I've known. They off load responsibility, often using old-boy strategies, then they have someone to blame when the shit hits the fan. Of course, anyone at that level has a golden parachute so they don't care!

I worked for one of the largest companies in the world when I retired. I had hopes, but it wasn't really any different than the others I worked for. I loved my work group, though. They were/are the best!

Well the super good news for “that” one particular aspect of our fan base is….if we improve they can still bitch about how awful Brian is…win/win for those guys 😊

Or you can finally admit there was no one on the offensive side of the ball that knew how to handle the QB position. Not Kirk, Not Brian, those two for damn sure.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Budmayr had three years of assistant coaching on his resume when Colorado State hired him as their OC. I doubt he got a two-year contract, Iowa assistants only starting getting two years in the last decade, and the new Iowa hires are still single-year contracts. He was then fired after one year as a G5 OC.

An Iowa analyst job was probably the best job he could find.

Budmayr had three years of assistant coaching on his resume when Colorado State hired him as their OC. I doubt he got a two-year contract, Iowa assistants only starting getting two years in the last decade, and the new Iowa hires are still single-year contracts. He was then fired after one year as a G5 OC.

An Iowa analyst job was probably the best job he could find.
University calendars often are driven by the academic calendar ... with the work-year starting in the fall and ending in the spring. Even if Budmayr's contract was a 1-year contract ... CSU may have still been contractually obligated to pay-out to him since he got let go at the end of the fall. Hence, that is why he volunteered in the spring. Also, why he's now "officially" a consultant for us now (and no longer a volunteer).

Reactions: F5n5
BF was TE/OC. KOK was QB.

KOK retires, BF moves to QB/OC. Hired Abdul Hodge for TEs.
At least initially, KOK shifted positions and didn't retire. Is he retired now? He's still listed as being on the staff.

Anyhow, when BF initially took the OC spot ... he was also the RB/FB coach. He only worked with the RBs one year - after that he worked with the TE/FBs. Obviously now - he's switched over to working with the QBs.

Yeah… We have a lot of pretty smart posters on here that really struggle with the ideology behind coaches & families and friends & the role they play in getting each others jobs & the kind of money position coaches in the NFL make.

No matter how good a coach you think Brian is or isn’t he would find a good job immediately!

You sure about that?

Ferentz isn't a negative guy, by any measure. However, ever the teacher ... he's always trying to find things for his guys to improve upon. So for him to say that Budmayr is a "gift from heaven" is more effusive of a comment than I'd ordinarily expect from Kirk. My guess is that this means that in practice they're seeing a marked improvement in consistency from the QBs.

Obviously, in the context of Kid's day or when the Big 10 network folks came by ... I'm sure that all the emphasis was placed upon fundamentals. Given that ... it would be hard for the network guys to see anything sexy that would inspire them about any changes in our QB play.

However, for us, as Iowa fans ... we know that given our defense and our special teams ... if the O can even mimic some form of competency ... that's enough to make this team a dangerous one to play!

Bad call "they're seeing marked improvements"

ADVERTISEMENT