ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Budmayr, the "Offensive Analyst." Kirk calls him a "Gift from Heaven."

yeah, things have gone nothing but downhill since this hire.

It’s not the analyst, it’s not the OL, it’s not the RB, it’s not the WR’s, it’s not TE.

People need to stop making excuses for QB1.

Just because Kirk protects him in the press and Brian is foolish enough to play him, doesn’t make him a decent QB. He isn’t. After week one against an FCS school, Petras was ranked 127 out of 127 QBs with a 1.1 QBR.

There is just no way to shine that turd.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
It’s not the analyst, it’s not the OL, it’s not the RB, it’s not the WR’s, it’s not TE.

Just because Kirk protects him in the press and Brian is foolish enough to play him, doesn’t make him a decent QB. He isn’t. After week one against an FCS school, Petras was ranked 127 out of 127 QBs with a 1.1 QBR.

there's no doubt that we need a QB change.

at the same time, our OL has not been impressive, either. Our OL should be dominating teams like SDSU and ISU. What's gonna happen against tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc?

• Wow
Reactions: szohn
Story from today (Aug 23) from HawkCentral.

Some excerpts:

One of the Iowa football program’s most interesting hires of the 2022 offseason has gone from a volunteer consultant to a well-paid offensive analyst.

Jon Budmayr will earn $15,833 per month over a six-month period — totaling just under $95,000 — to help elevate the Iowa quarterbacks room. The salary details were obtained Tuesday by the Des Moines Register via a freedom-of-information request.

Budmayr, 31, has been credited by top-two QBs Spencer Petras and Alex Padilla for advancing the Hawkeyes’ passing game and praised by head coach Kirk Ferentz as "a gift from heaven."

He played for rival Wisconsin and was the quarterbacks coach there from 2018 to 2020 before spending one season as Colorado State’s offensive coordinator. In 2019, Budmayr oversaw one of the most efficient offenses in Wisconsin history with a team completion percentage of 70.1% behind starter Jack Coan. Completion percentage has been a stated high priority for Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz.

Budmayr officially joined the Iowa program March 1 as a “special consultant to the head coach and football staff." His role, as it has been explained by coaches and players, was to help assist Brian Ferentz, who has been transitioning to the role of quarterbacks coach after the departure of five-year quarterbacks coach Ken O'Keefe.

According to the latest agreement with Iowa, Budmayr was hired as a “Temporary Professional Employee” and will serve with the Hawkeyes from July 18, 2022 to January 20, 2023. Budmayr signed the agreement on June 28. He is reporting to Austin Showalter, the Hawkeyes’ director of analytics.

The university has declined media requests to interview Budmayr and did not make him available at the football team’s recent media day. Certainly, if Iowa’s embattled passing game has increased success this season, Budmayr will receive some of the credit ... and would make himself marketable for future coaching positions.

Was this a write up in The Onion?🤪

Well some one is going to have to be let go
HUH how about that Badger Bastard ?

So much for your guess.
From what I've seen ... a big issue that we were observing was that it wasn't inspiring a lot of confidence in our QBs to have to feature some top WRs who were walk-ons. When you know that your top 2 passing options (Bruce and LaPorta) are going to be receiving a lot of extra attention from Ds ... you're going to be feeling a lot of extra pressure.

Just getting Ragaini and Brecht into the fold has already resulted in Petras seemingly playing with a lot more confidence. Timing and accuracy has looked A LOT better through the last two games.

Reactions: HFan1981 and BBHawk
From what I've seen ... a big issue that we were observing was that it wasn't inspiring a lot of confidence in our QBs to have to feature some top WRs who were walk-ons. When you know that your top 2 passing options (Bruce and LaPorta) are going to be receiving a lot of extra attention from Ds ... you're going to be feeling a lot of extra pressure.

Just getting Ragaini and Brecht into the fold has already resulted in Petras seemingly playing with a lot more confidence. Timing and accuracy has looked A LOT better through the last two games.
Be careful about what you are saying. Optimism is often scorned but many posters...

Be careful about what you are saying. Optimism is often scorned but many posters...
You read this board in the last 24 hours and you would seriously think Iowa got shit pounded. A reasonable person might stop complaining for at least a day or two. Maybe go 48 hours after a decent game, doing exactly what Iowa tries to do, have a balanced offense.

The field will open up when KJ returns. That's the third really good receiver on the field, with Bruce and LaPorta. That chases defenses off the line of scrimmage. Now they can double LaPorta and Arland IV and still keep at least 5 guys on the line of scrimmage and a LB or DB that can crash into the Iowa backfield as well. That's exactly what blew up the goal line outside option pitch. That play usually works for us but a DB was just hanging around the line of scrimmage.

You read this board in the last 24 hours and you would seriously think Iowa got shit pounded. A reasonable person might stop complaining for at least a day or two. Maybe go 48 hours after a decent game, doing exactly what Iowa tries to do, have a balanced offense.

The field will open up when KJ returns. That's the third really good receiver on the field, with Bruce and LaPorta. That chases defenses off the line of scrimmage. Now they can double LaPorta and Arland IV and still keep at least 5 guys on the line of scrimmage and a LB or DB that can crash into the Iowa backfield as well. That's exactly what blew up the goal line outside option pitch. That play usually works for us but a DB was just hanging around the line of scrimmage.
Your point is valid, that KJ helps. Against the really good teams, they aren't going to back off just because KJ and Bruce are on the field. They are going to make Iowa prove it, and no throwing deep against Nevada doesn't prove it.

I actually thought the Iowa offense showed bigger signs of life against Rutgers. 8.7 yards per pass attempt by Petras. That is a winning number for Iowa. Got the ball downfield a bit to Lachey and Laporta. Michigan is unlikely to let Iowa do that, but they got it done against Rutgers. The two defensive TD's skewed things a bit, as Iowa had only 55 offensive plays. No one should complain about 2 defensive TD's.

For the first time this year, the offense actually contributed to putting a game away. Iowa leads 14-3, forces a punt, takes over at its own 6 with 5 minutes left in the half. Iowa moves it all the way inside the Rutgers 10 before kicking a FG toward the end of the half. Then Iowa gets it first in the second half. Marches down the field, gets help on one PI in the end zone and punches it in. Score now 24-3 and the game is realistically over. Seemed like the OL actually blocked at times, and protected well at times. I think the game Saturady against Michigan has the chance to get ugly, not in a good way. But that's why they play the games.

First off, Michigan did not look like the Michigan of last year. We can run on them. There DTs are not world beaters. They have a tendency to walk through some drives.

Their go to on offense is to run the ball. That is their security blanket. Losing JJ hurts us in that regard, but having more speed with Corum is not a bad thing. Same Iowa philosophy, stop the run and make them throw. With that said, we have to keep stopping the run cause they are stubborn and will keep going back to it. Why wouldn't they? BC can break one for a TD at any moment. We have to resist the tendency to become ball hawking in the secondary and always, always assume they will run.

Some excerpts:

One of the Iowa football program’s most interesting hires of the 2022 offseason has gone from a volunteer consultant to a well-paid offensive analyst.

Jon Budmayr will earn $15,833 per month over a six-month period — totaling just under $95,000 — to help elevate the Iowa quarterbacks room. The salary details were obtained Tuesday by the Des Moines Register via a freedom-of-information request.

Budmayr, 31, has been credited by top-two QBs Spencer Petras and Alex Padilla for advancing the Hawkeyes’ passing game and praised by head coach Kirk Ferentz as "a gift from heaven."

He played for rival Wisconsin and was the quarterbacks coach there from 2018 to 2020 before spending one season as Colorado State’s offensive coordinator. In 2019, Budmayr oversaw one of the most efficient offenses in Wisconsin history with a team completion percentage of 70.1% behind starter Jack Coan. Completion percentage has been a stated high priority for Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz.

Budmayr officially joined the Iowa program March 1 as a “special consultant to the head coach and football staff." His role, as it has been explained by coaches and players, was to help assist Brian Ferentz, who has been transitioning to the role of quarterbacks coach after the departure of five-year quarterbacks coach Ken O'Keefe.

According to the latest agreement with Iowa, Budmayr was hired as a “Temporary Professional Employee” and will serve with the Hawkeyes from July 18, 2022 to January 20, 2023. Budmayr signed the agreement on June 28. He is reporting to Austin Showalter, the Hawkeyes’ director of analytics.

The university has declined media requests to interview Budmayr and did not make him available at the football team’s recent media day. Certainly, if Iowa’s embattled passing game has increased success this season, Budmayr will receive some of the credit ... and would make himself marketable for future coaching positions.

So far the returns are that Kirk has no clue what a gift from heaven looks like.

He's not a gamer. He does not have that dog in him.

It is also clear that the only guy he really trusts to throw to is LaPorta. Getting Keagan back at 100% would be gigantic in my opinion because he does trust him, and he spreads the field. Ragaini and Bruce benefit and everything starts to work better.

Spencer could be good if all the pieces were in place, but that is pretty rare over the course of a college football season and even on most teams in the best of times.

He's not a gamer. He does not have that dog in him.

It is also clear that the only guy he really trusts to throw to is LaPorta. Getting Keagan back at 100% would be gigantic in my opinion because he does trust him, and he spreads the field. Ragaini and Bruce benefit and everything starts to work better.

Spencer could be good if all the pieces were in place, but that is pretty rare over the course of a college football season and even on most teams in the best of times.
You do know that Keagan Johnson may not be returning at all this season right?

We need Damond Powell or the like to backup KJ. We need someone where the opposing safeties say **** me when he lines up.

Your point is valid, that KJ helps. Against the really good teams, they aren't going to back off just because KJ and Bruce are on the field. They are going to make Iowa prove it, and no throwing deep against Nevada doesn't prove it.

I actually thought the Iowa offense showed bigger signs of life against Rutgers. 8.7 yards per pass attempt by Petras. That is a winning number for Iowa. Got the ball downfield a bit to Lachey and Laporta. Michigan is unlikely to let Iowa do that, but they got it done against Rutgers. The two defensive TD's skewed things a bit, as Iowa had only 55 offensive plays. No one should complain about 2 defensive TD's.

For the first time this year, the offense actually contributed to putting a game away. Iowa leads 14-3, forces a punt, takes over at its own 6 with 5 minutes left in the half. Iowa moves it all the way inside the Rutgers 10 before kicking a FG toward the end of the half. Then Iowa gets it first in the second half. Marches down the field, gets help on one PI in the end zone and punches it in. Score now 24-3 and the game is realistically over. Seemed like the OL actually blocked at times, and protected well at times. I think the game Saturady against Michigan has the chance to get ugly, not in a good way. But that's why they play the games.
Michigan lost a lot of talent, I think. As last week showed, at home they struggled against a far weaker team than Rutgers or Iowa, although Maryland can score. If the O line improves, Kaleb J might become a star Saturday.

th

Some excerpts:

Captain Kirk thinks he is a "gift from heaven" and also thinks Boy Wonder is a good OC and QB coach. Nuff said about Captain Kirk's opinion here. Did he help with this year's offense? Must be payback for a family favor.

Budmayr helped attract the current top two at quarterback for the Hawkeyes: Michigan transfer Cade McNamara and Wisconsin transfer Deacon Hill. Budmayr was promoted to Kirk Ferentz's "special assistant" on Dec. 5, four days after McNamara committed to Iowa.

Budmayr tried to recruit both quarterbacks while at Wisconsin; though he missed on McNamara, the two developed a strong relationship. Having McNamara arrive in January gave Budmayr license to tailor offensive concepts to McNamara’s refined accuracy.

After reading this story, I think you will all finally see why KF considers Jon a gift from heaven. ;)

Leistikow: On 'special assistant' Jon Budmayr's growing influence within the Iowa football offense

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Aug 15, 2023

70588443007-budmayr.jpg

Jon Budmayr is in his 2nd season helping the Iowa program and has been impressed at how much voice Kirk and Brian have allowed him to have.

IOWA CITY − For 12 years, Jon Budmayr proudly wore the red and white colors of the Wisconsin Badgers. He did so as a backup quarterback, as a student assistant, as a graduate assistant coach, as a quality-control assistant and then for three years as quarterbacks coach under Paul Chryst.

On Friday, he happily wore a white polo with the Iowa Hawkeyes’ signature Tigerhawk logo. Friends back in Madison ask Budmayr what it's like to now be wearing the black and gold for a school he once saw as a bitter border rival.

“Within this profession, that goes away so fast,” Budmayr said at the Hawkeye football team’s media day, his first public interview since joining the program as a volunteer coach in the spring of 2022. “This place, you can’t get a better staff, from top to bottom. That was very similar to my time at Wisconsin. Coach Chryst, he’s a mentor to me. He did an unbelievable job of making you feel that. And when I came here, I felt that same thing.

“Coach (Kirk) Ferentz is a Hall of Fame football coach, but you sit down with him for 10 minutes and it doesn’t take long to figure out he’s a better person than he is coach. That’s been a real highlight for me and my family.”

Budmayr has been somewhat of a mysterious figure outside of the walls of the Hansen Football Performance Center ... and even inside. His presence caught some players off guard two springs ago. During an August 2022 podcast, former Iowa tight end Sam LaPorta joked about seeing Budmayr for the first time, saying: “Out of the blue, there’s this new guy in the building, and he has his hands in the offense. I’m just like, ‘Who the (heck) is this guy?’”

Budmayr has gone from taking no pay then to now earning more than $27,000 a month − the equivalent of $325,000 a year − plus medical and dental benefits to serve as a “senior special assistant to the head coach” and "no later than" Jan. 31, 2024.

That Budmayr is so handsomely compensated despite NCAA rules that prohibit him from providing in-person instruction to players shows how much he is valued by Ferentz, the 25th-year Iowa head coach, and Ferentz's oldest son, Brian, Iowa’s seventh-year offensive coordinator.

Brian Ferentz freely admitted that as a former offensive line and tight ends coach he had much to learn about quarterback play when he took over that position group following Ken O'Keefe's retirement in early 2022. Enter Budmayr, who Iowa has known about since the mid-to late-2000s when it tried to recruit him as a player out of Woodstock, Illinois.

“That’s not my expertise, that’s not what I’ve done,” Ferentz said Friday. “So, I lean on him in a lot of regards. Simple things, fundamental things. I want to learn. I want to know as much as I can about the position.

“I have the utmost respect for Jon. I think he’s an excellent football coach, I think he’s an excellent quarterback coach. As an offensive football person, I think he’s really smart. I think he has a really bright future, and I just feel fortunate that we have him here.”

Even if Budmayr left the program tomorrow, his impact would be heavily felt in Iowa's 2023 season. In an NCAA rule change, non-coaching staff members can now contact prospective student-athletes on the school’s behalf. Budmayr had gone from volunteer coach to analyst at Iowa last fall and helped attract the current top two at quarterback for the Hawkeyes: Michigan transfer Cade McNamara and Wisconsin transfer Deacon Hill. Budmayr was promoted to Kirk Ferentz's "special assistant" on Dec. 5, four days after McNamara committed to Iowa.

Budmayr tried to recruit both quarterbacks while at Wisconsin; though he missed on McNamara, the two developed a strong relationship. Having McNamara arrive in January gave Budmayr license to tailor offensive concepts to McNamara’s refined accuracy.

Budmayr successfully recruited Hill to Wisconsin, but he left for the OC position at Colorado State before Hill arrived. Now, that duo has also been reunited.

“He’s helping me understand a lot of defenses, what we’re trying to attack and why we’re attacking it,” Hill said. “With him, I’ve seen our group grow exponentially.”

Budmayr was on the practice field during Saturday’s Kids' Day at Kinnick scrimmage and was one of the first to put his arm around McNamara after he returned from the locker room with what Kirk Ferentz indicated was likely a quad strain. While Budmayr is not allowed to provide “technical or tactical instruction” (per UI compliance), that doesn’t stop him from being a respected, influential figure among players. Under the rules, Budmayr can even recommend play calls to a full-time coach on game days from the field or the press box.

“The biggest thing for (the quarterbacks) is having a plan in place that I believe helps them play efficiently, play in rhythm (and) understand what you’re being presented with defensively,” Budmayr said, “so that you can make good decisions and ultimately get the ball to playmakers.”

Budmayr appreciates the relationship he has with both Ferentzes.

“You come into a situation that I walked into here, and it can go one of two ways,” Budmayr said. “It can be the guy who is sitting in the back of the room and taking it in, or you can provide value. (The latter) doesn’t happen unless you have a coordinator like Brian who is willing to put his ego aside and say, ‘I want the best for Iowa football. I want to improve.’”

It is not hard to envision a scenario in which the Iowa offense, under McNamara’s capable direction and with Budmayr’s growing influence, improves considerably from its 2022 depths and allows the embattled Brian Ferentz to transition to another job elsewhere, perhaps in the NFL. If something like that happened, it would be an easy leap to think that Kirk Ferentz would be comfortable tapping Budmayr as his next offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Coincidence or not, the $325,000 Budmayr is making annually at Iowa is what he was paid to be Colorado State's OC in 2021.

That’s emblematic of the type of trust and respect the program is showing toward Budmayr, who was left without a job after the Colorado State staff was cleaned out following the 2021 season.

“At the time, that was very hard for me – being young in the profession and being exposed to what can happen,” Budmayr, 32, said. “Just real fortunate to be here and be surrounded by really great people.”

c2a15592-8deb-4590-94c0-a17e123e8751-230330-Iowa_spring_fb-010.JPG

Jon Budmayr is in this 2nd season with the Hawkeyes as an analyst and special advisor to Kirk Ferentz, and he is highly respected by Iowa QBs.

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 28 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

Last edited:
Proof is in the pudding. Thus far, the pudding sucks.
Yup. The core problem is The Capt's archaic offense and fossilization regarding change in general.
Who knows if Budmayr is any good with The Capt's restraints on the Offense.
Even Junior might not be as horrible an OC without The Capt's scheme.
Realist here, not part of the Sunshine crowd.

Some excerpts:

Scary that Spencer Petras testimony that he raised level of Iowa passing game

Scary that Spencer Petras testimony that he raised level of Iowa passing game
Have a hard time grading the work of an offensive analyst in his first year on the job, with a bad QB, a struggling, young OL and and WR corps that rarely fielded even 3 healthy scholarship receivers; who had limited exposure with those groups.

With the incoming transfers, improved health at the WR position and OL, and a full year now with the squad - it's fair to expect a bigger impact from Budmayr.

And if BF doesn't show signs of life as an OC this year, regardless of that 25 ppg nonsense, he needs to be gone.

ADVERTISEMENT