ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Rothstein has interesting Starting 5 for IOWA: Tony, Payton, PMac, Kris, Filip. Has them 9th in the B1G

We were never going to get any defense from JBO. At the 2 or the point he just wasn't going to provide the defense needed. Should be a little different this season. Now we just need to retain most of his offense
Defense, the seemingly perpetual issue with Fran's teams since the Woodbury years.

With a really bad defender in Bohannon no longer part of the equation, can the team actually improve when they have the individual pieces who possess enough ability to play at least average D?
Or does Iowa stay as they've been known, with top 10 offenses and lower end (80-100) defenses?

Iowa is likely severely underrated. Depending on how guards develop, Iowa could be middle of the pack or win the whole damn thing.

Purdue is comically overrated. They will not be good. MSU (zero depth) also overrated, imo.

Ohio State is just loaded with talent as is Illinois. Michigan and IU are where they should be, although I really don't believe IU will win the league without shooters.

The legit contenders for a regular season league title are Michigan, Ohio State, IU, Iowa and Illinois. The rest are pretenders.

I'm with you, but it completely depends on how Fran feels about what he has in Ulis and Bowen. If he feels like Sandfort being on the floor adds more incrementally than what he gains by having Ulis and/or Bowen at point then he might go that route. Given what transpired last year, it shouldn't surprise anyone when Fran favors having as many shooters on the floor as possible over pretty much anything else. Putting Sandfort at the two us pretty much the only way that he gets 20+ minutes thus year.
He can be the first guy off the bench for all 3 front court positions.

If Philip comes out first Kris slides to 5.

If those 3 spots are mostly a rotation between 4 guys PS gets 20 that way.

Hes not quick enough to play the 2. Playing he and Tony as the only guards together would be a TO waiting to happen.

I'll bet that combo never happens this year.

We were never going to get any defense from JBO. At the 2 or the point he just wasn't going to provide the defense needed. Should be a little different this season. Now we just need to retain most of his offense
I agree but the defensive rebounding was the worst part of the D by far the 1sy half of last year.

Once that improved they were adequate on D.

He can be the first guy off the bench for all 3 front court positions.

If Philip comes out first Kris slides to 5.

If those 3 spots are mostly a rotation between 4 guys PS gets 20 that way.

Hes not quick enough to play the 2. Playing he and Tony as the only guards together would be a TO waiting to happen.

I'll bet that combo never happens this year.
PS will never average 20 mins unless he starts. I'll make that bet.

I wonder about tOSU...last year their offense was all about Liddell and Branham...both gone.
I know they get a good player back from injury and have Key but the rest are unproven.

I pretty much think that Mulvey fully leapfrogs Josh this year and is the de facto backup big man. I very much hope I’m wrong and Josh takes a big step this year, but kind of think he may be back in the portal next year with Freeman and potentially Estrella coming in

Estrella wants early playing time, and it won’t be Josh O blocking him, I promise you that
BUT if Estrella comes, I see Mulvey headed out as well.

There's a lot in this thread. First and foremost, I agree the B1G is WIDE open as almost everyone outside of IU lost their main firepower from last season. It's for this reason that IU is the "safe" choice to pick as favorites to win it. However, we've seen this ourselves that sometimes its a chemistry thing and I just get a feeling like IU doesn't have that team cohesiveness to hold it together through a tough B1G season run. I just rewatched the B1G Semifinal vs. IU and what I see is a streaky team with an athletic (but one trick pony) in TJD. But as good as Xavier Johnson can play as a PG, IU lacks a true floor leader than can reset and "stop thr bleeding" at certain times in a game; not even necessarily by scoring but by making the sound decisions in crunch time.

Iowa is really a dark horse because while Keegan is gone, we return our own battle tested lineup. But there's two guys that IMHO will determine how far Iowa goes this year and it's not Kris Murray- its the McCaffery Brothers. Kris needs to take a step forward like Keegan did but we REALLY need Patrick to take a step forward as a scorer (to take pressure and attention off Kris)and as a vocal floor leader. Connor has been the floor general for years. It will be important for him to be that steadying presence coming off the bench.

Finally, the discussion about lineup. As Fran has said many times, it really isn't about starters it's Alphonso in at the end of the game. I always extrapolated that also into the combinations game.

I think you'll see lineups like
PG: Ulis
SG: Sandfort
SF: Murray
PF: P. McCaffery
C: Rebraca

PG: Bowen
SG: Perkins
SF: Dix
PF: C. McCaffery
C: Ogundele/Mulvey

With those lineups you have a blend of scoring, length, and leadership.

Reactions: skydog0784
Iowa is likely severely underrated. Depending on how guards develop, Iowa could be middle of the pack or win the whole damn thing.

Purdue is comically overrated. They will not be good. MSU (zero depth) also overrated, imo.

Ohio State is just loaded with talent as is Illinois. Michigan and IU are where they should be, although I really don't believe IU will win the league without shooters.

The legit contenders for a regular season league title are Michigan, Ohio State, IU, Iowa and Illinois. The rest are pretenders.
So we're basically a lock for the tournament? Sold!

Why? Mulvey's family bought a condo in Iowa City--not saying they can't move, but I really feel like they're pretty connected here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Mulvey family was friends with the McCaffery's back when they were at Sienna which is the whole reason he came here. If Mulvey keeps improving I see no reason why he wouldn't get a lot of minutes at the 5--Estrella can definitely play the 4 for periods of time.

I tend to agree with HawkHoops80. Estrella has the athleticism to play the 4, for which there will likely be an opening after this season if/when Kris goes pro. In an ideal world, those minutes are being shared by Power and Estrella. More than likely, you would see Mulvey starting at the 5, with Freeman coming off the bench to back him up, and Estrella sliding over as well in some situations. Mulvey does need to take some steps forward though

Most lethal frontcourt under Fran, if that all comes to fruition

I tend to agree with HawkHoops80. Estrella has the athleticism to play the 4, for which there will likely be an opening after this season if/when Kris goes pro. In an ideal world, those minutes are being shared by Power and Estrella. More than likely, you would see Mulvey starting at the 5, with Freeman coming off the bench to back him up, and Estrella sliding over as well in some situations. Mulvey does need to take some steps forward though
I understand why we as Iowa fans keep comparing him to Garza, but Estrella's game and athleticism is much more similar to Chet Holmgren than it is to Garza IMO. He looks like he moves so well for his size.

Most lethal frontcourt under Fran, if that all comes to fruition
I’m thinking TJ Power plays the 3 with Payton Sandfort , (after PMac leaves). JP Estrella and Owen Freeman the 4 and Riley Mulvey and JT Rock the 5. Brock Harding and Dasonte Bowen at the 1 and Pryce Sandfort and Josh Dix at the 2…. Anybody like that scenario? Nimmers can back up the 1 and 2

I’m thinking TJ Power plays the 3 with Payton Sandfort , (after PMac leaves). JP Estrella and Owen Freeman the 4 and Riley Mulvey and JT Rock the 5. Brock Harding and Dasonte Bowen at the 1 and Pryce Sandfort and Josh Dix at the 2…. Anybody like that scenario? Nimmers can back up the 1 and 2
I would like that scenario a lot. Make it happen Fran!

Why? Mulvey's family bought a condo in Iowa City--not saying they can't move, but I really feel like they're pretty connected here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Mulvey family was friends with the McCaffery's back when they were at Sienna which is the whole reason he came here. If Mulvey keeps improving I see no reason why he wouldn't get a lot of minutes at the 5--Estrella can definitely play the 4 for periods of time.
Agree. There would be zero reason for him to leave at the end of this year. Rebraca is gone, Kr. Murray likely gone. Yes, very talented players coming in over next couple of classes but there is time on the floor to be had. I have no idea if he will be more than a bit player, but he's big and seems to have some skill. Those are things you can work with if he can acclimate to Big 10 competition.

If Perkins starts at the point there is likely a need to get more shooters on the floor. Payton and Patrick can be pretty streaky and Kris will be the focus of other teams defense.

The potent offense is not the given that Hawk fans have been accustomed to. We’ve had a lot of special offensive talents on the court in the last three years and those kind of players don’t grow on trees.

Feel free to throw this in my face once we start to play talented teams.

Outside of Indiana, Iowa is the most experienced team coming back.

Michigan State being that high is only because of the name on the front of their jerseys and who the head coach is--most Michigan State fans are thinking they'll struggle to make the tournament this year due to their extreme lack of depth.

Purdue picked up their only true PG on the roster during the 11th hour of portal season after missing out on their top 3 or 4 choices. I don't think they're competing for a Big Ten regular season title like Jon's suggesting here.

Wisconsin's entire season depends on how big of a leap Chucky Hepburn takes. I like Wahl, but I think he's best as a secondary scoring option. They're like Iowa, always projected in middle of pack and surpass expectations.

I think Indiana is in tier by themselves on paper, then Michigan and Illinois just below that. My tier 2B is Iowa, Ohio St, Purdue, and Wisconsin. Those 7 are who I think make the tournament safely with the next tier: Michigan St, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St. all being bubble teams.
Iowa is probably best at 7th. We shouldn't be ahead of anyone else, other than Wisconsin and Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT