ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Papelbon suspended four games for Bryce Harper altercation

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Not that the Nats were going anywhere anyhow:

The day after Jonathan Papelbon grabbed Bryce Harper by the throat in the dugout in an eighth-inning altercation between the players, the Nationals suspended Papelbon for four games without pay.

“The behavior exhibited by Papelbon yesterday is not acceptable,” General Manager Mike Rizzo said ina written statement. “That is not at all in line with the way our players are expected to conduct themselves, and the Nationals organization will not tolerate it in any way.”

Harper will not play on Monday because of his role in the altercation, according to Manager Matt Williams. Harper was scheduled for a day off this week but Williams said he will not play Monday. “He said something to Papelbon and he played a part in the incident,” Williams said.

[Kilgore: Criticism of Harper is off base and outdated]

Additionally, Papelbon withdrew his appeal of Major League Baseball’s three-game suspension for throwing at Orioles third-baseman Manny Machado. The combination of the two suspensions will bench the closer for the remainder of the 2015 season. He is not expected to be around the team the rest of the season.

Harper flied out to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning Sunday, jogged to first and touched the base. As he walked back to the dugout, Papelbon said “run it out” to Harper. Papelbon kept talking and Harper responded, including saying “let’s [expletive] go.” The altercation got heated and Papelbon reached for Harper’s neck, the two wrestled before they were separated by teammates.

Harper left the game and didn’t return in the top of the ninth. Papelbon, however, for reasons that are still puzzling was allowed to pitch the top of the ninth and was charged with five runs, only two earned.

Since the controversial closer was acquired before the July 31 trade deadline, he has a 3.04 ERA in 22 games. He has blown two saves and lost two games in the past three weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nded-four-games-for-bryce-harper-altercation/

OK, I'll be the first...

Almora/Baez for Harper.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Wash. would take it, just throwing it out there.

The Nationals are an example of a dysfunctional team
which is loaded with big ego's and has no chemistry
to win a pennant. Matt Williams will be fired as manager
this off season and look for Harper to be traded.

Harper ain't going nowhere, and the Cubs certainly don't want him either. If they have any brains at all in the organization that is.

Trading for Harper would be a very un-Theo thing to do. It ain't happening.

Stay. The. Course. Stick to the plan.

Has there ever been a worse deadline trade than the one for Papelbon? The Nationals were in 1st and pretty much in control when that trade was made. Harper should demand a trade.

Reactions: lucas80
Washington knew they were taking a risk with him. He's always been a moron, and a lot of former teammates have little good to say about him.

this is spot on. rizzo should be fired for trading for him. that was the day he and williams lost the team. they underestimated the way the team felt about storen and added a tool in the process.

The Nationals are an example of a dysfunctional team
which is loaded with big ego's and has no chemistry
to win a pennant. Matt Williams will be fired as manager
this off season and look for Harper to be traded.

this is wrong. they had chemistry (and a lot of injuries) but rizzo screwed it when he added a guy that is notorious for being a meathead in the clubhouse. tons of injuries and they were still in it -- but it was lost when they made that trade and storen's teammates saw what the front office did to him.

fire rizzo. fire williams. trade papelbon. get span, werth and rendon fully healthy. move rendon to 3rd. let trea turner play everyday at 2b or move desmond and let turner play ss and get a 2b. get a legit mlb OF to cover for werth and span. and never trade bryce harper. that's just crazy.

It would be wise for Harper to start developing a better attitude. Papelbon is a long-standing tool, but Harper makes pretty regular habit of not hustling on plays like that. Sure, he's a hell of a player, but when his skills eventually start going south, people are going to sour on him quickly.....though admittedly that might be a decade away.

According to CJ Nitkowski, now with Fox Sports, there are players who are siding (off-the-record) with Papelbon on this one.

Here are just a few of the pro-Papelbon takes sent Nitkowski's way:

● Pap did what should have been done three years ago. Veteran players should be doing this across the league.

● Bryce is a great player. He's a true superstar. But he's not above playing the game the right way. I'm glad someone finally told him that.

● I would have done the same thing if I were Papelbon.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
OK, I'll be the first...

Almora/Baez for Harper.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Wash. would take it, just throwing it out there.

4309230175_6b3417d720.jpg

Reactions: millah_22
It would be wise for Harper to start developing a better attitude. Papelbon is a long-standing tool, but Harper makes pretty regular habit of not hustling on plays like that. Sure, he's a hell of a player, but when his skills eventually start going south, people are going to sour on him quickly.....though admittedly that might be a decade away.

According to CJ Nitkowski, now with Fox Sports, there are players who are siding (off-the-record) with Papelbon on this one.

Here are just a few of the pro-Papelbon takes sent Nitkowski's way:

● Pap did what should have been done three years ago. Veteran players should be doing this across the league.

● Bryce is a great player. He's a true superstar. But he's not above playing the game the right way. I'm glad someone finally told him that.

● I would have done the same thing if I were Papelbon.

I get that, and these guys are probably right, but the message needs to come from somebody who isn't a known douchebag. Maybe they don't have any other veterans in the clubhouse to do it, which could be the problem. Then again, if you had a manager who had the first clue about what was happening with his team then it wouldn't be up to the players to monitor this stuff. Apparently, Williams was barely aware that there was a fight which is why Papelbon was put back out in the 9th. Ultimately, it's his job to correct Harper for not playing the game right.

The Nats will get rid of Papelbon, but they'll be eating the majority of what he will be owed. Hard to say which desperate club will take him, tho.

I get that, and these guys are probably right, but the message needs to come from somebody who isn't a known douchebag. Maybe they don't have any other veterans in the clubhouse to do it, which could be the problem. Then again, if you had a manager who had the first clue about what was happening with his team then it wouldn't be up to the players to monitor this stuff. Apparently, Williams was barely aware that there was a fight which is why Papelbon was put back out in the 9th. Ultimately, it's his job to correct Harper for not playing the game right.

I don't disagree with any of that. Nats need a new skipper and some veteran presence that can check Harper.

Reactions: BioHawk
1. I was so glad the Cubs did not get into the mix for Papelbon. Some team will deal for him in the offseason, though. He has innings left in him.
2. I think they handled the discussion of this pretty well during the Cubs/Pirates game on ESPN last night. The "discussion", should have been held in the clubhouse, and been led by a veteran. Not a deadline guy like Papelbon.

I love the people who say that Pap is OK because he needs "to teach Harper to play the right way"

Because choking out the best hitter in the league is playing the game the "right way"

I love the people who say that Pap is OK because he needs "to teach Harper to play the right way"

Because choking out the best hitter in the league is playing the game the "right way"

Papelbon picked the wrong time, place and method for delivering the message. None of that means Harper doesn't need to hear it.

Reactions: ghost80
You all understand that Harper is only traded for a king's ransom. Way more than the 3 someone listed above. Any team's best bet is to hope they can afford him when he hits free agency.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT