ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Bohannon

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
ESPN has Bohannon as the 26th best point guard prospect in the 2016 class and evaluated a 79.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...position/point-guard/class/2016/view/position

Here's some video on him

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jordan bohannon &qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=jordan bohannon &sc=8-16&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=71D64FFAEB1CE87FF5FD71D64FFAEB1CE87FF5FD

An evaluation of 79 puts Bohannon in the range of all five freshmen recruits from 2015. Moss was highest at 80. The rest were 79's or 78's. It is really easy to check out the 2015 recruits and other 2016 guys. Notice that Cook is considered the 14th best power forward in the 2016 class.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Ugh... really wanted Charlie Moore. Bohannon is talented, but Moore brings an element that Bohannon simply lacks. An uber athletic point guard who can drive at will and dish. That is the missing piece right now. Pretty disappointed Moore is no longer an option :(

Reactions: Vbeachawk
I like to think that Wisconsin offered Xavier Simpson because they found out Bohannon will be a Hawk. Bohannon took an official to Wisconsin in October, albeit without an offer. In my dumb mind, Jordan was Wisky's first choice and Simpson was the safety.

I'll stick with that.

Last edited:
I like to think that Wisconsin offered Charlie Moore because they found out Bohannon will be a Hawk. Bohannon took an official to Wisconsin in October, albeit without an offer. In my dumb mind, Jordan was Wisky's first choice and Moore was the safety.

I'll stick with that.
Why would Wisconsin's first choice not have an offer?

I always like getting Iowa guys, and these 3 are pretty good. Though some say Bohannon may be more of a UNI panther guy, that's not really an insult. I would gladly take Jeremy Morgan, or Washpun on this team.

Reactions: DanL53
If we aren't going to get Moore. Unless there are guys we are in on that McCaffery prefers that we don't know about, and it wouldn't be the firs time. If we offer Bohannon and he commits. I'll be quite satisfied to have Bohannon on the team.

What I would hope, is that my suspicions about Williams prove to be correct and that he is the point guard for 2016/17 that we need to field a competitive team in the Big Ten. The backup would then fall to either Bohannon as a frosh or to me more likely Andrew Fleming sliding over in relief of Williams.

The last thing I want to see is Iowa suspend efforts, drop Bohannon, and wait until the spring to see if anything develops. Just looking at Purdue the last two seasons, they've struggled to sign a point guard. They didn't get Octeus until October of last year! And it wasn't until May of this year that they found Hill. And even in our case, the late signing of Dickerson didn't pan out so well.

As to who can and can't play point guard. Everybody in the business that I've read calls Bohannon a point guard. Conner McCaffery, coming in 2017/18 in ranked in the top 100 and his AAU coaches and McCaffery call him a point guard. Williams AAU coach predicted he'd play point guard in college. McCaffery has said he will learn the point. And McCaffery says Fleming can play some point.

I consider it pretty lucky to have a player pushing four star status (check the link) according to ESPN just a few miles North of Iowa City. And I sure hope we don't pass up on him just because he doesn't slash into the lane at 90 miles an hour. I can see a future where his role is off the bench giving solid minutes we can trust and playing four years of winning basketball at Iowa. We can't start thirteen guys. We can't reasonably play that many.

If Moore doesn't want to come in and battle for the time he is expecting to be given to him, good luck to him. I'll take a guy that comes in with eyes wide open and wanting to be a Hawkeye.

Reactions: BuckRussel
If we aren't going to get Moore. Unless there are guys we are in on that McCaffery prefers that we don't know about, and it wouldn't be the firs time. If we offer Bohannon and he commits. I'll be quite satisfied to have Bohannon on the team.

What I would hope, is that my suspicions about Williams prove to be correct and that he is the point guard for 2016/17 that we need to field a competitive team in the Big Ten. The backup would then fall to either Bohannon as a frosh or to me more likely Andrew Fleming sliding over in relief of Williams.

The last thing I want to see is Iowa suspend efforts, drop Bohannon, and wait until the spring to see if anything develops. Just looking at Purdue the last two seasons, they've struggled to sign a point guard. They didn't get Octeus until October of last year! And it wasn't until May of this year that they found Hill. And even in our case, the late signing of Dickerson didn't pan out so well.

As to who can and can't play point guard. Everybody in the business that I've read calls Bohannon a point guard. Conner McCaffery, coming in 2017/18 in ranked in the top 100 and his AAU coaches and McCaffery call him a point guard. Williams AAU coach predicted he'd play point guard in college. McCaffery has said he will learn the point. And McCaffery says Fleming can play some point.

I consider it pretty lucky to have a player pushing four star status (check the link) according to ESPN just a few miles North of Iowa City. And I sure hope we don't pass up on him just because he doesn't slash into the lane at 90 miles an hour. I can see a future where his role is off the bench giving solid minutes we can trust and playing four years of winning basketball at Iowa. We can't start thirteen guys. We can't reasonably play that many.

If Moore doesn't want to come in and battle for the time he is expecting to be given to him, good luck to him. I'll take a guy that comes in with eyes wide open and wanting to be a Hawkeye.

Big assumption that Moore doesn't want to come to Iowa due to battling for playing time. Bohannon is a fall back no matter what people want to say. If so why doesn't he have power 5 offers. And I'm sure I'll hear success story of Aaron white. He is the exception not the norm for players lacking major offers. But for every white you get a lot more players who end up like Brennan cougil.

Obviously this is subjective opinion, but I just don't think we're going to continue to see improvement in the program if we keep falling back on unheralded 3* recruits - especially at PG.

Fran likes slashers. He's unable to recruit them, so far. Moore isn't freakin' Ulis - we could offer him 4 years of solid playing time for a program still on the rise. Something stinks here - whether it's on his end or ours, though, is the question.

Reactions: Ronman
There are different types of point guards. Bohannon is a shooter. He makes his money from outside jumpshots and the occasional drive to the hoop.If he was our pg then you would need a couple slashers on the team (which we have). There are points that are not great shooters but have speed and can beat people off the dribble. These are highly valued but not in great supply. You even see these types on teams and they can't shoot a lick. Even so they can play an important role. There are a ton of successful Bohannon type pgs out there on ncaa tourney teams. You leave these guys open or sag off and BOOM! There goes another 3 pointer. Nothing wrong with that.

We have slashers? Who? Jok still looks tentative out there (and we also only have him for another year). Fleming, I guess?

There are different types of point guards. Bohannon is a shooter. He makes his money from outside jumpshots and the occasional drive to the hoop.If he was our pg then you would need a couple slashers on the team (which we have). There are points that are not great shooters but have speed and can beat people off the dribble. These are highly valued but not in great supply. You even see these types on teams and they can't shoot a lick. Even so they can play an important role. There are a ton of successful Bohannon type pgs out there on ncaa tourney teams. You leave these guys open or sag off and BOOM! There goes another 3 pointer. Nothing wrong with that.
Back In the late 60's we had a pretty good team with Chad Calabria at point. He had a great shot at the key but was not a slasher or a player that one would consider overly quick. He did however have a great supporting cast in Freddy Brown.John Johnson, and Glen Vidnovic. Leave Calabria open and he would knock it down.

Bohannon has great range and that shot from the top of the key. He is also quicker than Calabria and would have some pretty good shooters (Fleming, Jok, Ellingson) to distribute the ball to as well. Leave him open and Jordan would knock it down as well.

Reactions: brokenarrow73
I heard Mr. Kakert on TV yesterday allude to the fact that there is a general dearth of talent in Illinois this year so the "handlers" have devoted their attention to Moore. Someone seems to have gotten into Charlie's ear. Maybe Coach McCaffery doesn't play ball well with these types. Business as usual for Chicago.

Big assumption that Moore doesn't want to come to Iowa due to battling for playing time. Bohannon is a fall back no matter what people want to say. If so why doesn't he have power 5 offers. And I'm sure I'll hear success story of Aaron white. He is the exception not the norm for players lacking major offers. But for every white you get a lot more players who end up like Brennan cougil.

Not such a big assumption when you read his AAU and high school coaches comments about what Moore is looking for.

We have slashers? Who? Jok still looks tentative out there (and we also only have him for another year). Fleming, I guess?

Young an unproven... but we brought in some slashers last year, and I'd put Dom Uhl in the slasher category as well as he'll be a mismatch nightmare for PF's.

Fleming some, but mostly I'd put Moss, Hutton, and Wagner as all guys that can put the ball on the deck and beat their man off the dribble.

Moore isn't concerned about playing time. Fran is handing him the keys to the car and Moore isn't sure the car is nice enough. my dad would have taken the car back.

Reactions: brokenarrow73
Moore isn't concerned about playing time. Fran is handing him the keys to the car and Moore isn't sure the car is nice enough. my dad would have taken the car back.

Link to anything that says Moore isn't concerned with playing time?

Very funny. Also wrong.

Williams COULD be competing for PG minutes. Maybe. He is a 2* recruit who had nothing going on until we offered him (lots of talk about "interests" but until that's quantifiable, it's just talk).

Any stud to near-stud PG would have salivated at this chance, if they thought Iowa was a program worth playing in. So either they know something about Williams we don't, or they're just not seeing any prestige in Iowa (which, to be fair, we're not quite there yet still).

Out of the 4 guards Fran just signed Flemming fits that bill the least by far.

Moss, Hutton and Williams would all fit that description, all three are 6'5 or
bigger, can handle the ball and finish above the rim.

Seriously watch their videos, Iowas athleticism got a big upgrade with those three.

Williams COULD be competing for PG minutes. Maybe. He is a 2* recruit who had nothing going on until we offered him (lots of talk about "interests" but until that's quantifiable, it's just talk).

Any stud to near-stud PG would have salivated at this chance, if they thought Iowa was a program worth playing in. So either they know something about Williams we don't, or they're just not seeing any prestige in Iowa (which, to be fair, we're not quite there yet still).

Facts. 3 star, not two. Ranked tenth best player in Illinois by Joe Henricksen of the Chicago Sun Times who knows quite a bit about high school hoops in Illinois. Moss by the way was ranked ninth by Henricksen.

Maybe the fact that Williams missed much of his senior season due to some transfer issues had a little to do with his recruitment? I don't know. I've watched the kid play on video of high schools game, not highlight clips, and then some live in the PTL (which I'm too old and have seen since it's creation years ago so I don't need reminders of what the PTL is.) you can believe me or not...but Williams is a point guard and will be a good one.

As to "this chance", just look at the teams Moore is visiting. They have much more to offer, especially when we have Conner McCaffery coming up after 2017, than Iowa, as far as guaranteed playing time. For that matter, it could be (and please separate the facts above with this, my opinion) that McCaffery isn't guaranteeing anything?

Reactions: Endoman

3-star on this site. Iowa is a team on the way up that over the past 3 years has gone from almost winning the NIT, to getting into the NCAA, and then winning in the NCAA. Many on his list do not meet that criteria.

ESPN has Bohannon as the 26th best point guard prospect in the 2016 class and evaluated a 79.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...position/point-guard/class/2016/view/position

Here's some video on him

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jordan bohannon &qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=jordan bohannon &sc=8-16&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=71D64FFAEB1CE87FF5FD71D64FFAEB1CE87FF5FD

An evaluation of 79 puts Bohannon in the range of all five freshmen recruits from 2015. Moss was highest at 80. The rest were 79's or 78's. It is really easy to check out the 2015 recruits and other 2016 guys. Notice that Cook is considered the 14th best power forward in the 2016 class.

Have fun.
Jordan reminds me of a shorter (by 4") Ellingson. I am not sure if that is what Iowa really needs. Don't get me wrong, I think that the kid is a player but I just think Iowa can do better. I hope that if Bohannon comes here that he proves me wrong.

Reactions: davhawki5014
Jordan reminds me of a shorter (by 4") Ellingson. I am not sure if that is what Iowa really needs. Don't get me wrong, I think that the kid is a player but I just think Iowa can do better. I hope that if Bohannon comes here that he proves me wrong.
I agree seems like a 6 foot shooting guard,if he ends up at Iowa I hope he does great but could be a liability in big10 because of his size ,strength,athletic ability. I would like to see Fran hold the scholarship for the spring, but I have faith in whatever he does.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I admit to being wrong on Williams' star rating - my bad on that. I know his offer sheet was minimal and I put more emphasis on that, usually, but I should've dug a bit deeper.

Still - I can't get excited for a Jordan Bohannon. I like BB and davhawk's discussion about the Ellingson comparison - that's not a fit for the pieces we do have. And missing on Moore, I feel, speaks to systemic problems with Fran's recruiting strategy. We get so close to the bigger recruits, but ultimately aren't up to snuff. It's worrisome.

I admit to being wrong on Williams' star rating - my bad on that. I know his offer sheet was minimal and I put more emphasis on that, usually, but I should've dug a bit deeper.

Still - I can't get excited for a Jordan Bohannon. I like BB and davhawk's discussion about the Ellingson comparison - that's not a fit for the pieces we do have. And missing on Moore, I feel, speaks to systemic problems with Fran's recruiting strategy. We get so close to the bigger recruits, but ultimately aren't up to snuff. It's worrisome.
I attribute the misses to Iowa's recent basketball woes. If Iowa can get back to the NCAA tourney again and make some noise, I think McC will get over the hump with some of these kids. In the mean time, he and staff are doing a pretty good job getting the kids they have. The incoming class is one of if, not the most, athletic ones at Iowa in this century.

I would have to say if Bohannon reminds me of anyone it isn't Ellingson but his old buddy Riley LaChance:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=8C53606536B871C1677D8C53606536B871C1677D

He was evaluated at 80 and the 21st best point guard in his class, so...close, like the 2" difference in height. Another guy? Nate Mason:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/124586/nate-mason

Some video on him: (Terrible production...but you'll get the idea.)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=C0A7D8B66F9FA82D22C5C0A7D8B66F9FA82D22C5

"When I go out to these schools I'm just looking for a family atmosphere," Moore said. "Also a great relationship with the coaches, and a chance to come in and play right away. I just want to see how the team works out and get a better relationship with the coaching staffs."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1794253

Link to anything stating he isn't? ;)

Almost every player wants to play right away coming in. Point is Moore is no different from hundreds of other D1 recruits.

I want him to be a hawk cause be a quality addition if not so be it. But it is amazing how people try and spin the negativity on a 18 yr old HS kid for not picking the university of Iowa. Tons of factors going in to their decision and varies for every kid. Maybe too from quote he has a better relationship with Martin at cal or partner at Memphis and Dixon at Pitt.

Almost every player wants to play right away coming in. Point is Moore is no different from hundreds of other D1 recruits.

I want him to be a hawk cause be a quality addition if not so be it. But it is amazing how people try and spin the negativity on a 18 yr old HS kid for not picking the university of Iowa. Tons of factors going in to their decision and varies for every kid. Maybe too from quote he has a better relationship with Martin at cal or partner at Memphis and Dixon at Pitt.

So why am I having to prove Moore wants to play right away? This started with, "Moore isn't concerned about playing time".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT