ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Oliver One Match From Olympics

Hypothetically speaking, if japan decides late that they cannot hold the olympics what are the chances that different countries step in and host individual Olympic competitions vs cancelling the entire thing? In other words, USA host wrestling, another country takes on track, another willing country takes on swimming, etc.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
Well I guess now we hope that the guy pops for drugs.
It won’t be amphetamines. That slow, plodding sonofabitch did nothing. Nothing. At least Oliver wrestled half a match. The only silver lining in an Olympics cancellation would be that that POS from Poland wouldn’t get to go.

And why no true 2nd, especially when the bracket is not really even seeded? We have matches for true 4th at AAU kids districts for chrissakes but not to go to the freaking Olympics??

Last edited:
Oliver did little to nothing the entire first period. Backed up , got horsed around and put on the shot clock. He got the only take down of the match but got on his offense way late.
Yep. Did nothing for the first three minutes except back up. There didn't even look to be much effort to avoid the two step outs either. Absolutely bazar first period. It was if he knew he could not go 6 minutes so the plan was to expend as little energy in first as possible then sprint the 2nd period. Complete head scratching match. I hate to bust on JO because he is so freaking good but come on man. You have 6 minutes to earn a spot. Make them all count.

Yep. Did nothing for the first three minutes except back up. There didn't even look to be much effort to avoid the two step outs either. Absolutely bazar first period. It was if he knew he could not go 6 minutes so the plan was to expend as little energy in first as possible then sprint the 2nd period. Complete head scratching match. I hate to bust on JO because he is so freaking good but come on man. You have 6 minutes to earn a spot. Make them all count.
X 1000. He didn’t contest those step outs seemingly at all. One of them he was standing straight up and just backpedaled off. WTF? If he thought he was going to get that shot clock point back by creating 99.8% of the activity in the second period he hasn’t been paying attention and was sorely and sadly mistaken. Puke.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
Yeah I don't get the animosity for Poland, he did "nothing" because JO gave him three points in the first, - more than half the match he didn't engage, at all. American fans need to learn/accept that Poland did what you SHOULD do when you are up 3-0 in the second period of a match again an equal opponent. Tactics matter, especially at this level.

I was yelling at my screen in support for JO and am crushed for him that he won't go, but let's not pretend he got jobbed in that match.

Yeah I don't get the animosity for Poland, he did "nothing" because JO gave him three points in the first, - more than half the match he didn't engage, at all. American fans need to learn/accept that Poland did what you SHOULD do when you are up 3-0 in the second period of a match again an equal opponent. Tactics matter, especially at this level.

I was yelling at my screen in support for JO and am crushed for him that he won't go, but let's not pretend he got jobbed in that match.
Regardless of the wrestler’s tactics, you don’t feel that the official should have put Poland on passivity the last period?

No, spectators got jobbed. And it’s ‘tactics’ like those that keeps wrestling a very marginal, niche sport. The activity gap was MUCH larger on the 2nd period than the first, yet JO was penalized and the Polish wrestler wasn’t.

Reactions: burk11

Who are lecturing buddy? I haven't seen anyone around here say JO got hosed. Poland didnt do a thing all match. You even wrote as much. I agree with your take on the actionless first half...

The Polish guy did nothing the entire match yet Oliver was hit with the passivity. Garbage international officiating strikes again.
Oliver shouldn’t have given up that first push out - should have fought that more.

No, spectators got jobbed. And it’s ‘tactics’ like those that keeps wrestling a very marginal, niche sport. The activity gap was MUCH larger on the 2nd period than the first, yet JO was penalized and the Polish wrestler wasn’t.
I don't like this take. A wrestler wrestles to win. If you don't like it or Joe Schmo down at the bar doesn't enjoy it, screw them. Win the match!

Would have had a better shot with Zain or Yanni, they are aggressive.
Shame.

Oliver shouldn’t have given up that first push out - should have fought that more.
That's not what I asked. Do you not feel the official should have put the Polish wrestler on the clock in the second period? It's a "yes or no" question.

It won’t be amphetamines. That slow, plodding sonofabitch did nothing. Nothing. At least Oliver wrestled half a match. The only silver lining in an Olympics cancellation would be that that POS from Poland wouldn’t get to go.

And why no true 2nd, especially when the bracket is not really even seeded? We have matches for true 4th at AAU kids districts for chrissakes but not to go to the freaking Olympics??
I would bet it’s intentional in order to try to get less powerful countries representation in the Olympics.

One of the stated goals of the old pool system was to try to get medals to countries who weren’t traditional wrestling or Olympic powerhouses.

Tl;dr it’s political

If you can't beat that guy, your not doing any damage at the Olympics anyway.

Are you talking about the Argentina guy or the Polish guy JO lost to? If the latter then I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT