ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix, Dasonte, Kris & Fran interviews. Dix should be ready to go September 1

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
These interviews/videos are from Tom Kakert from yesterday.

Josh Dix can't do contact right now (a month away?) but thinks he'll be back and ready in November (3 1/2 months away). Before this injury, Josh had never broken a bone in his body.

Dasonte talks about, among many things, adjusting to the Midwest, the quicker pace of college ball & learning how Iowa plays defense. ;) He's getting up 700 shots/day with 400 (57%) -500 (71%) makes. Note what he says about Keegan and how Fran & the Iowa program have opened up some eyes when it comes to what's possible.

Kris talks about expectations, about getting his number retired at DME Academy & playing this year without his brother. Also, during the NBA Draft, on the big screen, the NBA on at least 2 occasions put up Kris' picture and not Keegan's. Kris was amused; Keegan not so much. Kris then said "I guess they just picked the better looking twin." He also said that "hopefully we will be playing in April this year." @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset , you know what that means! ;)

Fran mentions that Kris had an opportunity for an NBA two-way contract. But as his dad has stated previously, they were looking for a 1st Round NBA Draft guarantee. Regarding the PG completion, Fran says that Ulis, in his 3rd year, is playing really well and Dasonte is a terrific player. He also says Tony and Connor can play the 1. Fran also said he could play Ahron, Dasonte and Tony together. He talks about the recruitment of Dasonte Bowen, as well. He expects Josh Dix to be ready to go Sep 1. The great thing is that Josh Dix has had no set backs on his road to recovery.

Fran talked about how he talked to a lot of NBA GMs about Keegan and then reiterates that he thought Keegan was one of the top 2 players in the NBA Draft (Banchero was the other).

Nice to see practices open to the media. As you will see, Josh Dix is participating in the shoot arounds and nailing some shots.

Lots of good stuff.

Watch here:

We all would rather forget the season ending Richmond game. But Iowa would not have not been in the Richmond game if not for PMac. PMac was 4-7 from 3 and was the 2nd leading scorer in that game (18 points). The rest of the team was 2-22 (9%) from 3. Kris and Keegan were a combined 0-8 from 3.

These are some encouraging observations from yesterday:

Last edited:

Josh Dix can't do contact right now (a month away?) but thinks he'll be back and ready in November (3 1/2 months away). Before this injury, Josh had never broken a bone in his body.

Dasonte talks about, among many things, adjusting to the Midwest, the quicker pace of college ball & learning how Iowa plays defense. ;) He's getting up 700 shots/day with 400 (57%) -500 (71%) makes. Note what he says about Keegan and how Fran & the Iowa program have opened up some eyes when it comes to what's possible.

Kris talks about expectations, about getting his number retired at DME Academy & playing this year without his brother. Also, during the NBA Draft, on the big screen, the NBA on at least 2 occasions put up Kris' picture and not Keegan's. Kris was amused; Keegan not so much. Kris then said "I guess they just picked the better looking twin." He also said that "hopefully we will be playing in April this year." @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset , you know what that means! ;)

Fran mentions that Kris had an opportunity for an NBA two-way contract. But as his dad has stated previously, they were looking for a 1st Round NBA Draft guarantee. Regarding the PG completion, Fran says that Ulis, in his 3rd year, is playing really well and Dasonte is a terrific player. He also says Tony and Connor can play the 1. Fran also said he could play Ahron, Dasonte and Tony together. He talks about the recruitment of Dasonte Bowen, as well. He expects Josh Dix to be ready to go Sep 1. The great thing is that Josh Dix has had no set backs on his road to recovery.

Fran talked about how he talked to a lot of NBA GMs about Keegan and then reiterates that he thought Keegan was one of the top 2 players in the NBA Draft (Banchero was the other).

Nice to see practices open to the media. As you will see, Josh Dix is participating in the shoot arounds and nailing some shots.

Lots of good stuff.

Watch here:

I think that’s Basabe behind Fran talking with Eldridge.

It's all well and good that Fran says that Josh Dix will be ready to go by the beginning of the season but the reality's is, he hasn't been able to work out like a heathy player all summer. We saw Fran burn a year of eligibility of Riley Mulvey's 4 years at Iowa for absolutely no good reason and he wasn't even injured as far as we know.
Fran is supposed to be the captain of the ship and blowing a year of eligibility of a player that has the ability to help Iowa down the road is totally unacceptable by any measure. There's still some on here that lament the waste of a year of eligibility of Gabe Olaseni.
With what Iowa has coming back I will absolutely say there is no way Josh Dix is going to help Iowa win any game this year, no chance what's so ever, I don't care if Dix doesn't want to redshirt, Fran should have the final say and Fran of all people should understand the value of redshirting as he redshirted his first year in college even though is was mandatory at that time.

Last edited:
It's all well and good that Fran says that Josh Dix will be ready to go by the beginning of the season but the reality's is, he hasn't been able to work out like a heathy player all summer. We saw Fran burn a year of eligibility of Riley Mulvey's 4 years at Iowa for absolutely no good reason and he wasn't even injured as far as we know.
Fran is supposed to be the captain of the ship and blowing a year of eligibility of a player that has the ability to help Iowa down the road is totally unacceptable by any measure. There's still some on here that lament the waste of a year of eligibility of Gabe Olaseni.
With what Iowa has coming back I will absolutely say there is no way Josh Dix is going to help Iowa win any game this year, no chance what's so ever, I don't care if Dix doesn't want to redshirt, Fran should have the final say and Fran of all people should understand the value of redshirting as he redshirted his first year in college even though is was mandatory at that time.
Can't really argue w/that.

CJ Frederick comes to mind.
He was not ready,redshirted, and came out as a starter right away.
If he had stuck around and stayed healthy he would have been a 4 yr starter. If Dix has potential would like to see him realize it over 5 yrs.

I do NOT disagree with the what you're saying but I remember Fran saying that he tended to leave the final choice to the player.

So the kid doesn't want to redshirt, and your saying Fran should force him to do so? Thats absolutely ridiculous. It always has been and will always be the players decision. The coach does NOT have the final say. With the transfer portal being what it is, forcing a kid to sit is a really bad idea. You may think he won't be ready, BUT you don't know that, and if all the doctors have cleared him, then you proceed with the thought that if he can help you, then fine.

I do NOT disagree with the what you're saying but I remember Fran saying that he tended to leave the final choice to the player.
As he should. Why do people think all these kids want to be in college for 5 freakin years? There's every chance then he moves on his last year. If he's really good, maybe to play professionally. If not maybe he move on with his life after he graduates.

So the kid doesn't want to redshirt, and your saying Fran should force him to do so? Thats absolutely ridiculous. It always has been and will always be the players decision. The coach does NOT have the final say. With the transfer portal being what it is, forcing a kid to sit is a really bad idea. You may think he won't be ready, BUT you don't know that, and if all the doctors have cleared him, then you proceed with the thought that if he can help you, then fine.
This.

Also, I think taking a redshirt year is highly overrated from a developmental standpoint. I think a young man who is constantly hoping for playing time and fighting for that opportunity prepares differently in practice than a kid who knows he is shut down for the season. In this day and age (at least in basketball), you have to be more concerned with doing whatever it takes to be ready to contribute as soon as possible than being able to contribute 4 years down the road.

As he should. Why do people think all these kids want to be in college for 5 freakin years? There's every chance then he moves on his last year. If he's really good, maybe to play professionally. If not maybe he move on with his life after he graduates.
These things tend to work themselves out. I would be shocked if Dix is ready to contribute meaningful minutes this year. It's great he is getting close to being cleared for full participation. But not being able to go at 100% in a offseason puts a player way behind. A successful season for him is just getting healthy and getting familar with the college game. There is opportunity for him to contribute next year.

Reactions: perryhawk
These things tend to work themselves out. I would be shocked if Dix is ready to contribute meaningful minutes this year. It's great he is getting close to being cleared for full participation. But not being able to go at 100% in a offseason puts a player way behind. A successful season for him is just getting healthy and getting familar with the college game. There is opportunity for him to contribute next year.
I'm not disagreeing with a single thing you said Dodger. BUT you can't force the kid to redshirt. You can not. Hell maybe he contributes down the stretch in Jan-March, who knows. You redshirt the kid, and 1). you've blown the kids redshirt if he needs it later, (and you don't want to leave a possible medical up to someone elses decision. 2) What if you sit the kid and he moves on in year 5, (which is certainly possible), and then you've gained absolutely nothing. If the kid says, "coach I want to redshirt" then fine, otherwise no.....

One other thing to consider about redshirts. In the last couple of years we lost a about to be senior to the NBA and a junior to be to the league. If Kris blows up then we may lose are third player in three years before their eligibilty is up. In football we lost about 10 guys in the last 3 or 4 years who had at least a year left. Hock I believe had TWO years left technically. If these players have the chance they move on as they should, and its Fran's and Kirk's job to keep restocking the team with those type of players. Hoping you'll still have a kid around in year five doesn't align with todays reality of transfers and early exits....

Reactions: AlvySinger
Most players do not want to redshirt. You’re correct about that. And Fran has always been clear that’s up to the players, which is the way it should be. Hopefully Dix can get up to speed and contribute.

Dodger, do you foresee Connor backing up Perkins at the 2, Kris at the 4, or both? Obviously Iowa basketball is largely a plug-and-play system aside from the point guard and big man, but as I think about backcourt players who will realistically log minutes this year, I think of Ulis, Perkins, Bowen, Connor, and Dix. Don’t think Nimmers will be ready in year one (not based on much, and hope I’m wrong), and if the reports of Sandfort tacking on another inch and being ~6’8 are true, then I no longer think that he’s a feasible backcourt player either (he already really wasn’t to begin with)

On one hand, it seems like Sandfort, in an effort to maximize the amount he plays, will likely sub for both Pat and Kris in a staggered sort of substitution pattern, which would make Connor the backup 2. On the other hand, Connor backing up the two means that we have unbelievably little proven scoring in our backcourt outside of Perkins… which feels like an opportunity for Dix to contribute at some point this season as he gets more comfortable in Iowa’s system and on his leg

Last edited:
Reactions: AlvySinger

Lots of good stuff.

Watch here:

The new walk on pg air balled a 3 pointer. Kris Murrays jump shot is elite. Beautiful

Reactions: Franisdaman
Two words regarding forcing a kid to redshirt; Marcellus Sommerville

I would like to hear from a player, like Riley, that didn't play much and could have redshirted. What is the difference between sitting on the bench and redshirting?

For example, RS players don't dress for games - do they travel with the team? Does simply putting on the uniform for games make a player feel like a bigger part of the team? IDK

Do they practice the same as the rest of the team? Or, is the focus solely on the guys that can play? Again, IDK.

Riley got to play in the B1G Championship game - was that enough for him (in his opinion) to warrant burning his RS?

In short - will he be better prepared for this year by not RSing last year?

I'm convinced they discussed it at length and decided this course of action. In this day and age of player movement it's hard to look to far in the future.

Mandatory redshirting ended 5-6 years before Fran entered college. He redshirted the season after he transferred from Wake Forest to Penn.

What does an HR member have to do (and how) to be able to watch the secret videos?

password.gif

ADVERTISEMENT