ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix on why he didn't enter the Transfer Portal & potentially get paid HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS PER YEAR

Wow. Can’t blame a guy for wanting to get paid but this is refreshing.

Hypothetically, if he earned $500k per year for 2 years, he could have a nice nest egg.

Gross: $1MM
After Taxes: $650,000 (roughly)

Let’s say he invests $500K @ 7% average return (reinvested)

He would have over $1MM in ten years

We know there is tampering going on. I would love to know if anybody contacted Josh (or Owen or Payton) and said something like this: "if you enter the transfer portal and sign with us, you have $xxx,xxx per year waiting for you."

We know there is tampering going on. I would love to know if anybody contacted Josh (or Owen or Payton) and said something like this: "if you enter the transfer portal and sign with us, you have $xxx,xxx per year waiting for you."
They probably all have agents. Not sure if talking to an agent or former AAU coach is monitored, or if it can be.

They probably all have agents. Not sure if talking to an agent or former AAU coach is monitored, or if it can be.
This is the truth. It all happens behind the scenes. Agent talks to mommy & daddy & so on & so forth....

If this season doesn't go well, don't be surprised if this tune doesn't change. Same with Freeman. If they miss the NCAA's 2 years in a row I wouldn't blame them for seeking a better team & pay day. I hope not, but...

Star Trek Report GIF

Hustling Music Video GIF

Not aggressive enough is a good problem to have.

Dix is one hell of an efficient ballplayer. But there's more in the tank.

Love his game and think he can take that next step to really impact winning.

I wouldn't mind at all to see him become a little more selfish, even at the cost of some efficiency. It would give the Hawks a go to guy in late-game and late-clock. And it would actually make the game easier for his teammates, as he will draw more attention from the defense.

Really think the Hawks have a nice team this season if the backcourt stays healthy

Not aggressive enough is a good problem to have.

Dix is one hell of an efficient ballplayer. But there's more in the tank.

Love his game and think he can take that next step to really impact winning.

I wouldn't mind at all to see him become a little more selfish, even at the cost of some efficiency. It would give the Hawks a go to guy in late-game and late-clock. And it would actually make the game easier for his teammates, as he will draw more attention from the defense.

Really think the Hawks have a nice team this season if the backcourt stays healthy
Yep. Dix should be one of the primary options on offense this year, which will give him an opportunity to more consistently take over games. With an open scholarship, why Fran didn't add another experienced guard, just for insurance, is a head scratcher.

that's the rub... going in with only 3 guards is crazy
He has two natural point guards and a 3rd (Dix) who is quite capable of backing up the point. The 2 and 3 aren’t really distinguishable in Fran’s system and both Sandforts can handle the ball well enough to play there. I don’t get all the consternation. Having two true point guards under Fran is an improvement in my book, many years we were lucky to have one.

He has two natural point guards and a 3rd (Dix) who is quite capable of backing up the point. The 2 and 3 aren’t really distinguishable in Fran’s system and both Sandforts can handle the ball well enough to play there. I don’t get all the consternation. Having two true point guards under Fran is an improvement in my book, many years we were lucky to have one.
Payton can't stay in front of most 3s, how does he have the quickness to guard a 2? Not so sure about Pryce, but probably very similar. Dix can handle the ball, but is not a PG, and moving him there would be a mistake. A backcourt of Dix and one of the Sandforts :oops:

I agree with your final point, but I think the first half of your comment is off. First, Dix did not show good enough ball handling skills to be more than an emergency back-up at point. He was exposed in spot minutes there against ISU, but really showed out when he played more of the two and could shoot the three or drive for the pull-up J he seemed to hit a great % from. I don't think either of the Sandforts are really athletic enough to consistently stop dribble penetration which is one of the key challenges of the Iowa defense in the games I saw.

Never in a million years would I have thought that Tony's NIL value would be up to $500,000 per year.

What would Josh have gotten over 2 years? Owen over 3 years? Payton for 1 year?

I agree with your final point, but I think the first half of your comment is off. First, Dix did not show good enough ball handling skills to be more than an emergency back-up at point. He was exposed in spot minutes there against ISU, but really showed out when he played more of the two and could shoot the three or drive for the pull-up J he seemed to hit a great % from. I don't think either of the Sandforts are really athletic enough to consistently stop dribble penetration which is one of the key challenges of the Iowa defense in the games I saw.
Starting his first game at PG in Ames was a pretty tough draw, against one of the best defenses n the nation. I thought as the season progressed he blossomed and showed adequate skills as a ball handler. Certainly better than Perkins as a sophomore, and Perkins turned into a plus PG in my book. I’m expecting similar progress in his PG skills.

Starting his first game at PG in Ames was a pretty tough draw, against one of the best defenses n the nation. I thought as the season progressed he blossomed and showed adequate skills as a ball handler. Certainly better than Perkins as a sophomore, and Perkins turned into a plus PG in my book. I’m expecting similar progress in his PG skills.
I see your point, but I don’t expect that progression only because I don’t expect to see him playing that position

Never in a million years would I have thought that Tony's NIL value would be up to $500,000 per year.

What would Josh have gotten over 2 years? Owen over 3 years? Payton for 1 year?

Just because some prognosticators say he was valued at $500K doesn't mean this is what he received. Do you have any proof of what he did get from Missouri? I thought it was more in the $250k range.

You might be right but I doubt anyone will have much proof one way or another. Do high caliber Iowa basketball players receive any meaningful NIL dollars or other “pay?”

I say that because Perkins was on a nice trajectory at Iowa becoming more prominent, earning all B1G honors and doubt his role would diminish much (Dix emergence could impact somewhat).seems like he could play overseas, seems somewhat risky to leave unless the money is very good or somehow find an even bigger role.

Just because some prognosticators say he was valued at $500K doesn't mean this is what he received. Do you have any proof of what he did get from Missouri? I thought it was more in the $250k range.

Fran said Tony Perkins was asking for $500,000 and that Iowa could not pay that. See the Scott Dochterman tweet below.

So, $500,000 was his starting point. $400,000 is what Tony ended up with.

HawkHoops80, who follows hoops very closely, posted this on April 15th:

Per Trilly Donavon, Tony got $400K. So not as much as Fran said (likely was using what TP's agent asked for) but not too far off to be honest.

Reactions: LukaDuka
The concern is not how the offense will work.

The majority of teams Iowa will face are playing 3 guards at a time and usually another perimiter type player at the 4.

Dix will take the opponent's best offensive guard and what happens when he gets in foul trouble? Probably Thelwell and Harding together. And what's left after that?

No way do you want either Sandfort defending the opponent's 2 guard. They have a hard enough time defending the 3 spot, Payton is much better defensively at the 4.

With that said I'm sure it will happen.

The disappointment comes from the fact that the teams that do something in march are usually guard heavy and Iowa is again going to be the opposite of that.

The concern is not how the offense will work.

The majority of teams Iowa will face are playing 3 guards at a time and usually another perimiter type player at the 4.

Dix will take the opponent's best offensive guard and what happens when he gets in foul trouble? Probably Thelwell and Harding together. And what's left after that?

No way do you want either Sandfort defending the opponent's 2 guard. They have a hard enough time defending the 3 spot, Payton is much better defensively at the 4.

With that said I'm sure it will happen.

The disappointment comes from the fact that the teams that do something in march are usually guard heavy and Iowa is again going to be the opposite of that.
I don’t think a majority of the teams we play have 3 guards playing at once. Still, a fair point, but that’s only going to be a fraction of the game and if you play a zone then it’s not really an issue.

I don’t think a majority of the teams we play have 3 guards playing at once. Still, a fair point, but that’s only going to be a fraction of the game and if you play a zone then it’s not really an issue.
The 3 is a guard spot for more teams than not.

Except if they can hit the three, which Iowa was not great on close outs.

You might be right but I doubt anyone will have much proof one way or another. Do high caliber Iowa basketball players receive any meaningful NIL dollars or other “pay?”

I say that because Perkins was on a nice trajectory at Iowa becoming more prominent, earning all B1G honors and doubt his role would diminish much (Dix emergence could impact somewhat).seems like he could play overseas, seems somewhat risky to leave unless the money is very good or somehow find an even bigger role.
I keep asking the same question, thinking some on here might at least have a good estimate. How much NIL$$$ are Iowa players receiving? Is anyone even getting $100,000?

Reactions: BirdistheWord
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT