ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix really impressed me...again

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
He had 5 first half points.

He played great defense, staying in front of his man.

And the guy has a high basketball IQ. One example: at the 3:40 mark of the 1st half, RU blocked Kris' shot and quickly went the other way and were on a 4 on 1 (Josh Dix) fast break. Dix fouled Mawot Mag on the floor BEFORE what would have been an easy layup, and instead forced a 1 and 1 free throw situation. Mag missed the free throw, saving us 2 (or 3, had he not fouled soon enough) points there.

He added a big 3 pointer in the 2nd half. Soon after, he had another open look for 3, passed it up, and the crowd groaned. Then with 5:22 to go in the 2nd half, he got double teamed on the Rutgers half of the court, quickly stepped around it, started dribbling up court, made the right pass to Filip, who then found Perkins for an easy layup.

In just 11 minutes of playing time, he was 3-4 (75%) from the field (2-3 from three), 8 points, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 helluva game.

It's hard to believe that just over a year ago, on Jan 21, 2022, with just under two minutes left in the fourth quarter between Dix’s Lincoln High School and Le Mars, Josh landed awkwardly and went down with that gruesome leg injury.

Really happy for Dix. Really happy for us fans that he's a Hawkeye.

And the guy has a high basketball IQ. One example: at the 3:40 mark of the 1st half, RU blocked Kris' shot and quickly went the other way and were on a 4 on 1 (Josh Dix) fast break. Dix fouled Mawot Mag on the floor BEFORE what would have been an easy layup, and instead forced a 1 and 1 free throw situation. Mag missed the free throw, saving us 2 (or 3, had he not fouled soon enough) points there.

He added a big 3 pointer in the 2nd half. Soon after, he had another open look for 3, passed it up, and the crowd groaned. Then with 5:22 to go in the 2nd half, he got double teamed on the Rutgers half of the court, quickly stepped around it, started dribbling up court, made the right pass to Filip, who then found Perkins for an easy layup.

In just 11 minutes of playing time, he was 3-4 (75%) from the field (2-3 from three), 8 points, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 helluva game.

It's hard to believe that just over a year ago, on Jan 21, 2022, with just under two minutes left in the fourth quarter between Dix’s Lincoln High School and Le Mars, Josh landed awkwardly and went down with that gruesome leg injury.

There’s a strong sentiment amoung some here that Dix should be playing more (+ 20m \ game) becuse of what you detail, legit 3 pt shooter, defender (even occasional at rim, the block and the blocking foul he drew)

displacing some perk and CMac minutes as a pure #2 shooting guard that can play D

There’s a strong sentiment amoung some here that Dix should be playing more (+ 20m \ game) becuse of what you detail, legit 3 pt shooter, defender (even occasional at rim, the block and the blocking foul he drew)

displacing some perk and CMac minutes as a pure #2 shooting guard that can play D
Fran’s use of Dix minutes is hard to understand
vs MI, 31m, career high 10 points, including closing/ finishing the game
@MSU, 3 games later, 5 min, zero minutes in pivitol 2nd half where Fran inexplicably played 4 starters entire half.

2 plays by a fresh Dix @msu as detailed by @Franisdaman. And IOWA could very well have won that game

Really impressed with his poise and mental toughness. He isn’t giving up any easy buckets on defense and he doesn’t shy from handing the ball on the press. The 3 point shooting is a huge boost, reminds me of what Sandfort did for us last year. Honestl, he’s outperforming Perkins right now.

My only complaint is those crazy half court fast break passes. He’s thrown 3 so far and each has been a turnover.

I don't know about the defense part. He was blown by on a couple layups. He could be better on defense. But I do love his offense and shooting. He should definitely get more minutes.

He certainly is a willing defender but in no way a stopper. You could see yesterday they went right at him and and took him down low. He will get better, but that is not why he is in the game right now. It's his ball handling and shooting.

He certainly is a willing defender but in no way a stopper. You could see yesterday they went right at him and and took him down low. He will get better, but that is not why he is in the game right now. It's his ball handling and shooting.
One time when RU backed him down he held his ground and drew the offensive foul, achieving a defensive stop and drawing the foul. At 6 4 hes a bit like CMac, but with out 5 yrs of experience and strength

One time when RU backed him down he held his ground and drew the offensive foul, achieving a defensive stop and drawing the foul. At 6 4 hes a bit like CMac, but with out 5 yrs of experience and strength
He is a very smart player and I think will be more than solid over his career with the Hawks.

Reactions: perryhawk
I've been focusing on him quite a bit defensively and I think he's been excellent. He hasn't let anyone "blow by him", one guy did get past him but he blocked his shot. Defending the 3, I didn't see anyone make one over him. He's got long arms and decent quickness, for a freshman I'd say his defense if very much above average.

It will be interesting to see what happens moving forward.

Fran only played 8; Dasonte Bowen did not play.

Minutes yesterday:

36: Connor
34: Perkins
29: Ulis
11 : Dix

It is interesting watching opposing guards pick him up man to man. The initial thought is they may be able to pressure him and or pick his pocket. It goes away quickly and they back off after a possesion or two. Very poised and confident in his handles.

He really impressed me by passing up on the 3 pointer in the second half. His body wasn't set for the shot and he seemed to recognize it and didn't force it. That is definitely high basketball iq to me.

This was the big shot from the 2nd half. It's interesting how he leans back; almost like a fade away. Who's gonna block that?

I don't know about the defense part. He was blown by on a couple layups. He could be better on defense. But I do love his offense and shooting. He should definitely get more minutes.
Dix blocked a guards shot on a drive....the only guy on the Iowa team that blocks shots on regular basis is Kris Murray. DIx has the length and agility to be a really good guard as loing as his shooting holds up.

I've seen some posters compare Dix to Bobby Hansen....I don't think Bobby Hansen was good enough ball handler to play PG like Dix has exhibited so far.

Fran’s use of Dix minutes is hard to understand
vs MI, 31m, career high 10 points, including closing/ finishing the game
@MSU, 3 games later, 5 min, zero minutes in pivitol 2nd half where Fran inexplicably played 4 starters entire half.

2 plays by a fresh Dix @msu as detailed by @Franisdaman. And IOWA could very well have won that game

I can't figure out this team when it comes to FTs, either.

29-34 for 85% yesterday

6-13 for 46% in a 2 point loss at Michigan State

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Dix blocked a guards shot on a drive....the only guy on the Iowa team that blocks shots on regular basis is Kris Murray. DIx has the length and agility to be a really good guard as loing as his shooting holds up.

I've seen some posters compare Dix to Bobby Hansen....I don't think Bobby Hansen was good enough ball handler to play PG like Dix has exhibited so far.
I don't think you remember Bobby Hansen very well.

Certainly Perkins needs a fire lit under his backside. I'd be happy to see Dix play another 3 or 4 minutes per half...

Really impressed with his poise and mental toughness. He isn’t giving up any easy buckets on defense and he doesn’t shy from handing the ball on the press. The 3 point shooting is a huge boost, reminds me of what Sandfort did for us last year. Honestl, he’s outperforming Perkins right now.

My only complaint is those crazy half court fast break passes. He’s thrown 3 so far and each has been a turnover.

Speaking of his 3 point shooting, it's a small sample size, but he's shooting 46% (12-26) from three in 19 games played

He also has 19 assists to 6 turnovers

Should Dix be getting at least 15, maybe up to 20, minutes a game? He got only 11 vs Rutgers.

I don't think you remember Bobby Hansen very well.
I don’t remember Bobby having point guard ball handling skills either. He was a fine two guard but I don’t recall him bringing the ball up on a press. Bobby was an excellent defender, deadeye shot and had a wiry build with a kind of steady confidence that I also see in Dix.

I don’t remember Bobby having point guard ball handling skills either. He was a fine two guard but I don’t recall him bringing the ball up on a press. Bobby was an excellent defender, deadeye shot and had a wiry build with a kind of steady confidence that I also see in Dix.
Maybe I’m wrong, but as a 6-5 guard he could do almost anything, as he specialized in the NBA by being a defensive stopper, which meant guarding the likes of Michael Jordan. Much better athlete than Dix, and I’m not knocking Josh.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
What's his butt from the NBA with a similar break seemed to improve after he had a full season behind him if i remember correctly. His second season after the break seemed to be at full speed and strength so possibly with Dix is he makes an even bigger jump next year.

with the quick turn around tomorrow, I hope we see more of Dix

Maybe I’m wrong, but as a 6-5 guard he could do almost anything, as he specialized in the NBA by being a defensive stopper, which meant guarding the likes of Michael Jordan. Much better athlete than Dix, and I’m not knocking Josh.
I think people are underrating Dix’s athleticism, he’s pretty quick and has decent hops. I never thought of Hansen as being a great athlete, he certainly didn’t have a great vertical. He was tough, long, deft and really understood the game. I’d give the edge in athleticism to Dix, honestly. But I admit, it’s been 40 years and my memory is questionable.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I think people are underrating Dix’s athleticism, he’s pretty quick and has decent hops. I never thought of Hansen as being a great athlete, he certainly didn’t have a great vertical. He was tough, long, deft and really understood the game. I’d give the edge in athleticism to Dix, honestly. But I admit, it’s been 40 years and my memory is questionable.
Very questionable. And if Dix plays 9 years in the NBA I’ll buy you a nice bottle of bourbon. 👍

Reactions: N8dogg99
Dix is sneaky long, takes care of the ball and really loads up his shooting pocket before he releases his shot just looks relaxed out there
Good observation, the greatest pure shooters have zero tension in their stroke, his release is vey relaxed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT