ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Jackson downgraded

CP84

HR Heisman
Sep 10, 2013
Bizarre how Jackson goes from a top 10 pick a week ago to possibly falling below 20 due to a 4.56 40 time.

Same thing essentially happened to Desmond King (4.53) and all he did was finish his rookie season with 76 tackles and 4 sacks.

Marcus Peters (4.53), Richard Sherman (4.56), Josh Norman (4.61).

It's almost like these scouts forget about what happened on the field.

micah hyde and richard sherman both ran 4.56
who would want a garbage DB like them?

what is the over/under on jackson threads by draft day? What about the week of the draft?

Reactions: map0514
You didn't provide a link or reference but I assume that the drop is a prediction by a media analyst or draft guru. Except for a select few insiders, no one knows whether or not the teams which are highly interested in Jackson downgraded his value based on his combine performance.

If Team A's top need is a CB, they have a high Rd 1 pick, and they were targeting Jackson before the combine, I have a hard time believing that they would drop interest in him based an a few hundredths of one second in a 40 yard dash.

You didn't provide a link or reference but I assume that the drop is a prediction by a media analyst or draft guru. Except for a select few insiders, no one knows whether or not the teams which are highly interested in Jackson downgraded his value based on his combine performance.

If Team A's top need is a CB, they have a high Rd 1 pick, and they were targeting Jackson before the combine, I have a hard time believing that they would drop interest in him based an a few hundredths of one second in a 40 yard dash.
So you're saying the people at the top of these billion dollar franchises aren't going to tell everyone their plans??? :)

Bizarre how Jackson goes from a top 10 pick a week ago to possibly falling below 20 due to a 4.56 40 time.

Same thing essentially happened to Desmond King (4.53) and all he did was finish his rookie season with 76 tackles and 4 sacks.

It wasn't just the 40 time.... he showed some glimpses of tight hips and looked horrible at times when back pedaling

It wasn't just the 40 time.... he showed some glimpses of tight hips and looked horrible at times when back pedaling

Xavier Rhodes:
"Looked sluggish or tight hipped"
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/xavier-rhodes?id=2540155

Desmond King:
"He is tight in the hips"
https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...ers-available-day-3/g7xc4ena5e161mbett8kvtxx1

Richard Sherman:
"Displays some hip stiffness"
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/richard-sherman?id=2495507

Falling from 1st round to 4th round would be a concern but falling from top ten to 20ish is not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/395863002

Reactions: nu2u
Good point and I get the point but so many kids in much worse situations. It will be interesting

Plus from a recruiting standpoint the attention of a top 10 pick is beneficial.

There's no doubt King and Jackson's awards at the college level have been beneficial in landing Hankins and DJ Johnson much like how we see a high tier offensive line recruit in Alabama citing our track record at that position.

I'm sure Jackson will be fine whether he goes 10 or 20 but it is bizarre how the scouts react so negatively to combine measures when we saw their track record of shutting down top tier P5 conference receivers.

Many people will never learn that human beings--athletes and otherwise--cannot be adequately evaluated by numbers/metrics or any other "objective" measures. Human beings--including athletes--are far more complex. Those who attempt to evaluate based only on number crunching are bound to be wrong on many, many occasions.

Some of those mistakes have been listed in this thread. Sports--and the world at large--are full of "experts" who were wrong...ludicrously wrong.

And it will keep happening because some people will never understand that what they cannot measure is more important than what they can.

Josh will be just fine in spite of those NFL folks who are "educated" beyond their intelligence.

Many people will never learn that human beings--athletes and otherwise--cannot be adequately evaluated by numbers/metrics or any other "objective" measures. Human beings--including athletes--are far more complex. Those who attempt to evaluate based only on number crunching are bound to be wrong on many, many occasions.

Some of those mistakes have been listed in this thread. Sports--and the world at large--are full of "experts" who were wrong...ludicrously wrong.

And it will keep happening because some people will never understand that what they cannot measure is more important than what they can.

Josh will be just fine in spite of those NFL folks who are "educated" beyond their intelligence.

Given you're a philosopher, Aristotle, and not a draft expert, you do demonstrate a great amount of just 'ol plain common sense. The reason IA is considered a "developmental" program is because, as KF says, "we look for FOOTBALL PLAYERS" first.

Yes, Josh will be just fine.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
His rating will fluctuate until actual draft. There will be workouts at Iowa on pro day as well as several individual workouts for teams.
Doubtful he drops out of first round but will need to improve 40 time to get back to top 10. That’s my guess anyway

But he's not a receiver. Remember when we took 1st round wide receivers 3 years in a row? Those were the days.
Look at Bengals last year 1st round drafted the Ross kid because he ran 4.2 40 and that kid probably won't ever play in the NFL very soft but he got 17m in his pocket

Reactions: Mohawkeye
You can't coach 6'1" at the CB position. Josh is going to do just fine.

To be pedantic, his combine height was 6'0".

I do agree he'll be fine.

All we know right now is that some loud mouths and pundits downgraded him. Teams probably have just about the same opinion they had before the combine. I don't think teams react to one 40 time as much as the media does.

tenor.gif

Reactions: IC Hawks
Watched him at the combine and he didn’t shine, almost looked like he wanted to just get through it. Other guys showed a lot more hustle, but the film doesn’t lie the skills are definitely there.

I stated in the Jewell thread how the combine is a gimmick for the NFL to justify giving a few rookies massive 7-figure contracts while basically relegating the majority of them to more pedestrian 6-figure contracts.

There is simply no reason a kid that is naturally blessed with a faster 40-time (.15 to .25 seconds) should be seen as a better draft prospect over a kid who has actual game tape of playing at a higher level on the field when it counts.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Watched him at the combine and he didn’t shine, almost looked like he wanted to just get through it. Other guys showed a lot more hustle, but the film doesn’t lie the skills are definitely there.
That could hurt him more than his lack of speed if that is the case.
Kittle said he didn't give his best effort his first couple years here.

Speed could be a legitimate issue in a league with a concentration of the fastest players around. Its obviously not all about forty speed and Josh has shown great ability. What changed? very good question. He's a first rounder no doubt. Thats all we should expect.

Reactions: SHAWKER
I don't think anybody can take too much stock from "experts" who are predicting Sam Darnold going #1 To the Browns.....Josh may slide but that will depend all on what happens in the picks leading up to team needs. Would taking less money be worth landing on a playoff team? Would anybody be surprised to see him still go top 10? At the end of the day I seriously doubt that owners and GMs are gathering with journalist to make pie charts on who they should draft

Got my fingers crossed that Josh is drafted into the same division (but different team) as Baker Mayfield just so he can pick off that arrogant-asshat twice a year, every year.

I spent all day wondering if you actually thought Dre Bly was still in the NFL lol

Dre’.... Slay.... in my head I mix them up all the time. Lol! But if the Lions can have Darius Slay 6’0 lock down on one side and JJ 6’1 lock down in the other that would be awful nice for an Iowa boy Lions fan like me! Plus J J would get to learn from an 1st team All Pro/Pro Bowl CB Like D Slay right off the bat.

Exactly.. this combine stuff.. the measurements... all of it.. mean nothing. Show me the game film. Teams like the Patriots smile when they see a guy with great game film dropping down due to combine results.

I always thought these guys should run in full football gear. Some guys are track fast, but with pads they're not as fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT