ADVERTISEMENT

Josh O

No surprise here. Good luck going forward to Big O. Frans looking for a big in the portal. Time to see him land one. Certainly there's PLENTY of opportunity and much success the last several years sending players onto the league as reasons for someone to choose the hawks. Time to "git er done".....

tumblr_lgl4f4Sby01qcmnsoo1_r1_400.gif

I'm not convinced we need another center. What we need is replacement for Kris, since Kris is replacing Keegan. It would be great if Patrick could fill in at the 4 but he just can't be counted on to handle that position.

Reactions: CookyMonster
I'm not convinced we need another center. What we need is replacement for Kris, since Kris is replacing Keegan. It would be great if Patrick could fill in at the 4 but he just can't be counted on to handle that position.

Need a center? No we don't need one. Many teams are successful without any true center. But it sure would be nice to have one. I'd be happy with the best available player, but I also think it would be a good fit if the best available player was a rebounder and rim protector.

Reactions: 24 so far
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. It seems like even the mid-majors are looking for bigs who are skilled and can step out and hit threes or else who are lighter, more athletic rim protector types.

Need a center? No we don't need one. Many teams are successful without any true center. But it sure would be nice to have one. I'd be happy with the best available player, but I also think it would be a good fit if the best available player was a rebounder and rim protector.

We have Rebraca back at center and I suspect he will be the starter. It would have to be someone really good to step over Rebraca. We also have Mulvey and I'm hoping he is able to play some next year. We really need another Kris, someone who can rebound and also shoot from the outside. Some of our best offensive moments (if I'm remembering correctly) is when both Kris and Keegan were in the game.

I really wish last year we would have seen Kris, Keegan, Rebraca in the court at the same time. That could have been a really strong group.

I never like to see kids leave, but I understand these are the times we live in.

I just wonder if there are any shoes remaining to be dropped.

We have Rebraca back at center and I suspect he will be the starter. It would have to be someone really good to step over Rebraca. We also have Mulvey and I'm hoping he is able to play some next year. We really need another Kris, someone who can rebound and also shoot from the outside. Some of our best offensive moments (if I'm remembering correctly) is when both Kris and Keegan were in the game.

I really wish last year we would have seen Kris, Keegan, Rebraca in the court at the same time. That could have been a really strong group.
I'm assuming Rebraca will be the starter next year too, but I wouldn't think it should take someone too great to unseat him. Just someone who can rim protect would be a plus. Rebraca came on stronger towards the end so have to give him credit for that, but he was still arguably one of the worst starting centers in the conference. Probably better than Minnesota and Nebraska's centers, but I can't think of anyone else.

Reactions: SB_SB
I thought JoshO had health issues...sounds like he's going into Portal for more PT. Iowa needs someone
athletic at PF/center.

Roster looking little bit thin with JoeT gone. IF CMAC comes back that is another body, but I would have
preferred the program move on to someone with more upside/future.

I'm assuming Rebraca will be the starter next year too, but I wouldn't think it should take someone too great to unseat him. Just someone who can rim protect would be a plus. Rebraca came on stronger towards the end so have to give him credit for that, but he was still arguably one of the worst starting centers in the conference. Probably better than Minnesota and Nebraska's centers, but I can't think of anyone else.
I think if we had a true center and allowed Rebraca to play power forward in some lineups, he'd flourish. He would need to be able to hit the 10-15 foot jumper consistently but has shown the ability to do so.

I think Rebraca has has been unfairly criticized by a few on this board. He wasn't a star, but he played really solid most games, especially in the stretch where Iowa was winning. The young centers weren't ready to play significant minutes, so we have zero depth on the interior without Rebraca.

I think if we had a true center and allowed Rebraca to play power forward in some lineups, he'd flourish. He would need to be able to hit the 10-15 foot jumper consistently but has shown the ability to do so.
Meh it might be better for his own game, but I feel that would hurt the team overall on both ends. The spacing on offense would be terrible.

Reactions: SB_SB
Meh it might be better for his own game, but I feel that would hurt the team overall on both ends. The spacing on offense would be terrible.
Totally agree. Between the 4 and 5, one of them has to be able to shoot the three. It will be a problem to play a 4 and 5 where both don't have to be guarded on the outside.

Mulvey needs to attend the Garza Big Man Training Academy.

I honestly thought Josh had attended as well. Going up against Luka for one season SHOULD have done wonders.

The few minutes he played, he was a presence against the giant big men in the B1G. I think conditioning and weight loss were the only things holding him back.

Hope he stays hungry (not TOO hungry) and lands in a great spot.

Reactions: justinjdry

Agreed.

This is from just 11 months ago.

He has the mid range jumper and 3 point shot in him.

Watch here:

I think Rebraca has has been unfairly criticized by a few on this board. He wasn't a star, but he played really solid most games, especially in the stretch where Iowa was winning. The young centers weren't ready to play significant minutes, so we have zero depth on the interior without Rebraca.

He puts out great effort.. but he should be a backup at center and PF next year. Either Mulvey takes the job or a Portal guy comes in.

He got abused by any opposing center that had size/skills and he didn't score much to offset what he gave up. We would be better off with a shot blocker/rebounder better post defender with similar offense. The 29 points or so that TJD from Indiana scored on Iowa in BTT and the 25 rebounds Iowa gave up to the Purdue centers shows the mismatch quite clearly.

I honestly thought Josh had attended as well. Going up against Luka for one season SHOULD have done wonders.

The few minutes he played, he was a presence against the giant big men in the B1G. I think conditioning and weight loss were the only things holding him back.

Hope he stays hungry (not TOO hungry) and lands in a great spot.
Toward the end of the season, we started hearing that Josh had some health issues. All I know is that he posted some training videos in which he looked a lot slimmer than he did when the season began. It's nice to have a big man we can use to battle the other giants in the league, but not all weight is equal and Josh appeared to be pretty out of shape and heading in the wrong direction. I hope he gets things under control and finds a good spot for himself.

If you're going to bench Rebraca, our second leading rebounder after Keegan, someone has to step up to fill that gap, whether it be Kris, Pat (looking at you, Pat!), Mulvey or someone new or a combination of them all. Never can have enough rebounding!

Reactions: longliveCS40
If you're going to bench Rebraca, our second leading rebounder after Keegan, someone has to step up to fill that gap, whether it be Kris, Pat (looking at you, Pat!), Mulvey or someone new or a combination of them all. Never can have enough rebounding!
Fran says we WILL be getting a big man in the portal. Who it is remains to be seen, but they are targeting that spot primarily.

Josh and Joe would be stars in the Mo Valley if they went to Drake. Joe probably wants to head back East, though. Josh could develop at Drake.

ADVERTISEMENT