ADVERTISEMENT

JPMorgan Sees ‘Stratospheric’ $380 Oil on Worst-Case Russian Cut

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
$380 Oil

(Bloomberg) -- Global oil prices could reach a “stratospheric” $380 a barrel if US and European penalties prompt Russia to inflict retaliatory crude-output cuts, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analysts warned.

The Group of Seven nations are hammering out a complicated mechanism to cap the price fetched by Russian oil in a bid to tighten the screws on Vladimir Putin’s war machine in Ukraine. But given Moscow’s robust fiscal position, the nation can afford to slash daily crude production by 5 million barrels without excessively damaging the economy, JPMorgan analysts including Natasha Kaneva wrote in a note to clients.

For much of the rest of the world, however, the results could be disastrous. A 3 million-barrel cut to daily supplies would push benchmark London crude prices to $190, while the worst-case scenario of 5 million could mean “stratospheric” $380 crude, the analysts wrote.

“The most obvious and likely risk with a price cap is that Russia might choose not to participate and instead retaliate by reducing exports,” the analysts wrote. “It is likely that the government could retaliate by cutting output as a way to inflict pain on the West. The tightness of the global oil market is on Russia’s side.”

Dramatically increasing energy efficiency is a top US (and worldwide) national security issue… and has been since at least 1973.

Electrics are taking over. Until then I would drill every drop of domestic oil and provide incentives to do so.

you want to save the planet? That involves nuclear. Which nobody seems to champion at a political level.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Wouldn't it have been great if our politicians hadn't been in the pockets of Big Oil all these decades and we had acted sensibly on energy?

For now, it's fun watching Americans whine about gas prices while people elsewhere are dying thanks to our abysmal world leadership. We are sooo exceptional.

If the west is not buying russian oil, why does it matter if the russians cut production? is it because others (china and india?) will be forced to compete/buy from other sources which spikes the price?

If the west is not buying russian oil, why does it matter if the russians cut production? is it because others (china and india?) will be forced to compete/buy from other sources which spikes the price?
Carbon fuel is a single, one world market. It doesn’t matter so much from where you purchase, but that you purchase.
Purchasing less quells the power of nasty people. Why is this so hard to come to terms with? (Not really aimed at you, desi.)

Reactions: Joes Place
I suppose we could ration gas like they did in WWII. I know I could be a lot smarter about how much I use, but the price point for me to change habits exceeds $5 a gallon.

Reactions: Gimmered
I suppose we could ration gas like they did in WWII. I know I could be a lot smarter about how much I use, but the price point for me to change habits exceeds $5 a gallon.
It's not about you, it's about moving consumer products across country with $6 a gallon diesel.

Carbon fuel is a single, one world market. It doesn’t matter so much from where you purchase, but that you purchase.
Purchasing less quells the power of nasty people. Why is this so hard to come to terms with? (Not really aimed at you, desi.)

Let's assume that the russians cut production. They immediately affect their current buyers who might be forced to switch to other buyers -- this perhaps can increase prices for the rest of us. Strangely, we have been and are asking the rest of the world to shun russian oil anyway, so the hypothetical threat of russia cutting oil production is the same as the actual US stated and desired outcome. Am I wrong? Yet the news is worded like we don't want this to happen.
Also if russia cuts production, they mainly screw over their non-western customers. will they really do that? i don't see it.

PS: I don't understand this space, so my posts are just my way of getting some clarity...

Electrics are taking over. Until then I would drill every drop of domestic oil and provide incentives to do so.

you want to save the planet? That involves nuclear. Which nobody seems to champion at a political level.
It doesn't matter how much we drill when it's a commodity on the world market. The price will always be at the mercy of the world's anti-American dictators - the Russians, Saudis, Venezuelans, Iranians, Syrians etc.

Like you said, electric will have completely taken over in 10-15 years. Best use those incentives to speed that along so we will never have to give a flying fck what the gd Russians or Saudi or Iranian bastards do again.

Like you said, electric will have completely taken over in 10-15 years. Best use those incentives to speed that along so we will never have to give a flying fck what the gd Russians or Saudi or Iranian bastards do again.

We’ll be dependent on foreign lithium in 10 - 15 years I guess. Takes trillions of gallons of water to mine it as well…

So I’m supposed to believe a less than 6% reduction in daily global oil production will result in a more than triple increase in current oil prices? LOL, OK! I think we should perhaps consider the source and their financial interest in the parties involved.

We’ll be dependent on foreign lithium in 10 - 15 years I guess. Takes trillions of gallons of water to mine it as well…
That's not accurate. 20 pounds of lithium will power an electric car for 20 years - and then be recycled to make new batteries. Australia is the current major producer, but the US has more than it needs, and will soon surpass them. It's one of the most common minerals. We just haven't had the incentive to start processing it.

Geothermal plants in California have been *discarding* thousands of tons of lithium every year for decades, and Soon will be producing over 600,000 tons of lithium per year

Only 400,000 tons was used last year worldwide.

Everything uses resources to make. But one-time manufacturing costs is far different - and far harder to manipulate or embargo than commodities like oil or natural gas, which are consumed by the tens of millions of gallons per day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT