ADVERTISEMENT

JQ Roberts positive mention

MonmouthHawk

Scout Team
Aug 29, 2002
Cant link since it is a subscription but an article in the Indy Star reports that JQ looked very good at a local event and that Iowa is on him hard. He goes to Bloomington North HS so that will be a tough get but maybe IU has others in front of him. Another name I had not heard before is Flory Bidunga from Kokomo. Newer to the game but has big time potential as a 2024 at 6' 10" and may blow up but hasnt at this time. Hope Fran is on him. Crazy amount of talent in Indiana and IU and PU cant get him all.

Cant link since it is a subscription but an article in the Indy Star reports that JQ looked very good at a local event and that Iowa is on him hard. He goes to Bloomington North HS so that will be a tough get but maybe IU has others in front of him. Another name I had not heard before is Flory Bidunga from Kokomo. Newer to the game but has big time potential as a 2024 at 6' 10" and may blow up but hasnt at this time. Hope Fran is on him. Crazy amount of talent in Indiana and IU and PU cant get him all.

JQ's recruitment has been discussed in the 2 threads discussing '23 recruiting on the first page here. Basically I don't think his Indiana offer is "actionable" at this time. They already have 2 '23 commits and are expected to have 4 total scholarships available. Right now the 2 recruits Indiana is pursuing the hardest are both 5* forwards--they may eventually decide to go in on JQ if they strike out on those guys, but they haven't even been sending their staff to his AAU games the last recruiting weekend a few weeks ago. Marquette was once pretty high on him and they got an OV but they backed off him pretty recently because they have a couple forwards they like a bit more.
Heard great things about Bidunga- as you said kind of a late bloomer but recently was ranked in ESPN's top 100. He plays with Cooper Koch for AAU so Fran will have plenty of time to scout him.

Would love to get JQ on board….athletic 6’8” kid that has skills….another Indiana recruit who looks like a great fit for Fran’s system.
Same here. He has the tools to be really good moving forward and a player that would thrive in Fran's system.

Reactions: perryhawk
Who? I don’t see anything on that player.

Flory Bidunga. Plays AAU ball with Cooper Koch. Recently was added to ESPN's top 100 and kind of new to playing basketball in general so a late bloomer. No offers yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about him. He's a '24 prospect though.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I'll also add that Bidunga's originally from the Congo and just came to the states this year so I wouldn't say that he's tied to the state of Indiana. Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up with a Blue Blood though.

JQ's recruitment has been discussed in the 2 threads discussing '23 recruiting on the first page here. Basically I don't think his Indiana offer is "actionable" at this time. They already have 2 '23 commits and are expected to have 4 total scholarships available. Right now the 2 recruits Indiana is pursuing the hardest are both 5* forwards--they may eventually decide to go in on JQ if they strike out on those guys, but they haven't even been sending their staff to his AAU games the last recruiting weekend a few weeks ago. Marquette was once pretty high on him and they got an OV but they backed off him pretty recently because they have a couple forwards they like a bit more.
Heard great things about Bidunga- as you said kind of a late bloomer but recently was ranked in ESPN's top 100. He plays with Cooper Koch for AAU so Fran will have plenty of time to scout him.
What do you mean by actionable? That he has a conditional offer if player/players xyz do not commit? That is like asking a girl out on a date and she says she'll go if Jimmy, Johnny or Pete don't call her.

If that is the case, I would tell IU to go piss up a rope. JQ has very good options other than the Hoosiers.

Who? I don’t see anything on that player.
Remember this is a 6'10" Center who is a Soph:

He looks to be left hand biased and perhaps without much of a perimeter shot, but athletic as all get out with an ability to drive facing up. That's why he's a bit raw and not many offers yet, but when he hits the summer circuit looking like this (17ppg, 13rpg, 5bpg this HS season) with tons of upside, yes he will probably end up with blue chip interest. Bradley offered recently IIRC.

Remember this is a 6'10" Center who is a Soph:

He looks to be left hand biased and perhaps without much of a perimeter shot, but athletic as all get out with an ability to drive facing up. That's why he's a bit raw and not many offers yet, but when he hits the summer circuit looking like this (17ppg, 13rpg, 5bpg this HS season) with tons of upside, yes he will probably end up with blue chip interest. Bradley offered recently IIRC.
Fran could be first, or at minimum, very early with an offer for this young man? Playing with Cooper should give Iowa a number of opportunities to evaluate him.

What do you mean by actionable? That he has a conditional offer if player/players xyz do not commit? That is like asking a girl out on a date and she says she'll go if Jimmy, Johnny or Pete don't call her.

If that is the case, I would tell IU to go piss up a rope. JQ has very good options other than the Hoosiers.
Almost every team does this with scholarship offers. Look how many offers Iowa has out right now in the '23 class. If all of a sudden 3 centers with offers called up Fran in the next week wanting to commit, Iowa would not take all 3 of them--they likely wouldn't even take 2. The recruits also recognize this--there is a difference between a coach just continuing to check in after they offer a scholarship versus going to every one of their AAU game. A kid likely isn't going to commit to a team that's only luke warm on them at the moment. Teams have a hierarchy of guys they want and right now JQ isn't in the top of the pecking order for Indiana.

Once again, this shows the disadvantage that McCaffery has when it comes to recruiting in the B1G and being in Iowa. Indiana has homegrown talent that we would take in a heartbeat and they are slow playing him.

ADVERTISEMENT