ADVERTISEMENT

JU on Celtics summer league team

mazda1

HR All-American
Sep 22, 2015
This may be old news, but I haven't seen it posted. Just pulled it from the SL roster.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Interesting calculus for a player.
Keep plugging away in the G league and going to team camps? For how long?
Go to Europe for bigger pay now; but that means most likely saying goodbye to NBA chances.
Not an easy decision.

The G league has slowly been gaining traction and has begun to increase its pay and benefits. Free online streaming services like Twitch are helping bring in more viewers and in return revenue for those G league players. All but like 3 NBA teams now have their own affiliate. While obviously overseas would pay much more, the gap is starting to close.

Kudos for JU sticking it out and fighting for his dream. He's had a small taste with the Mavericks and it only takes one team to like you to give you a chance. Hopefully he plays more than a handful of minutes this summer to showcase his abilities.

Good luck to JU. Boston would be a great place to make it--great coach and an up-and-coming team. I haven't seen him play since he graduated, but it sure seemed like he had a lot of attractive skills. If he could become a reliable 3-point shooter with his overall game, I don't know why he could not catch on as a stretch 4/long 3.

Last edited:
Good luck to JU. Boston would be a great place to make it--great coach and an up-and-coming team. I haven't seen him play since he graduated, but it sure seemed like he had a lot of attractive skills. If he could become a reliable 3-point shooter with his overall game, I don't know why he could catch on as a stretch 4/long 3.
he had very good stats with his last team

G League slow to increase pay/benefits is right. Even with that, very few guys in the league make $50k. Sure 60 guys will get 2 way contracts, but teams move drop those frequently as well. Callups do happen, but again that is a small percentage of the league.

The G league has slowly been gaining traction and has begun to increase its pay and benefits. Free online streaming services like Twitch are helping bring in more viewers and in return revenue for those G league players. All but like 3 NBA teams now have their own affiliate. While obviously overseas would pay much more, the gap is starting to close.

Kudos for JU sticking it out and fighting for his dream. He's had a small taste with the Mavericks and it only takes one team to like you to give you a chance. Hopefully he plays more than a handful of minutes this summer to showcase his abilities.

Interesting calculus for a player.
Keep plugging away in the G league and going to team camps? For how long?
Go to Europe for bigger pay now; but that means most likely saying goodbye to NBA chances.
Not an easy decision.
Opportunity for earning potential is a small window. If I’m him I’m saying screw the NBA and and making tax free European money while I can.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Opportunity for earning potential is a small window. If I’m him I’m saying screw the NBA and and making tax free European money while I can.

Tax free? You must report all income earned abroad to IRS and it will be taxed. If you try to open an account in a foreign bank, they have you fill out a form that gets sent to IRS if you show American passport and you have to show passport to open an account. So, no, it is not tax free.

Tax free? You must report all income earned abroad to IRS and it will be taxed. If you try to open an account in a foreign bank, they have you fill out a form that gets sent to IRS if you show American passport and you have to show passport to open an account. So, no, it is not tax free.
This must have changed then. My point my still remains, however.

I saw him play last night and he didn't do a lot. I hate watching the G League games because all the players are desperate. They know it's their best and maybe last chance to make an impression and it's pretty ragged.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Jarrod had 3 points and 3 rebounds in 17 min. I thought that, in spite of cold shooting, that he got outbodied against Zach Collins. He seemed ok when he was in with Swanigan though. He doesn't have the lower body that you need for the NBA level. Collins moved him around a lot. I hope he has a continued success in the G League or in Europe!

there is a foreign income exclusion however if you meet either the residence or physical presence tests. The amount for 2018 is 104,100. So while he has to report it he may not have to pay income tax on it depending on how much he makes. Poster is correct. Under FATCA foreign banks report it to the IRS. Its not cash under the table.

This always seemed to be the most likely scenario. JU had some outstanding performances as a Hawk. The NBA was just a tier beyond his reach. I suspect the same of Jok. Both great Hawks.
The NBA is rarified air. Some really, really good D-1 college players don't make it there.

The nba is such a different game than college.

Theres the elite scorers and then everyone else has to fit a role to compliment them.

Just being a good scorer wont work.

Looking back to what another poster said about spotting Aaron White at the summer league, I have to believe that Jarrod saw him and talked to him a lot. Could be that AW had a lot to do with JU going to AW's former team? Either way, it's a good move for JU and he should make good money to take care of him and his family.

Sure 60 guys will get 2 way contracts, but teams move drop those frequently as well. Callups do happen, but again that is a small percentage of the league.

Except it's actually not that rare at all to make the Association from the G-League, both Monte Morris and Georges Niang have signed guaranteed NBA contracts in the last week, after great showings in the G-League last year.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-daily-georges-niangs-big-break/

https://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2018/07/report_flints_monte_morris_sig.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT