ADVERTISEMENT

Juco Baseball Recruits

funnyfletcher

HR Heisman
Apr 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
www.funnyfletcher.com
Some of the guys signed for next year are putting up huge numbers!

Korry Howell - SS (I’ve seen him as a top 5 or 10 juco prospect for the draft, not sure if he ends up at Iowa)
FR: .394/.467/.566 14 2B, 6 HR, 43 SB!
SO: .391/.475/.586 17 2B, 5 3B, 32 SB

Tanner Padgett - 1B/OF
FR: .382/.457/.667 14 2B, 16 HR, 61 RBI
SO: .333/.467/.957 he’s played 5 games and has 2 HR

Zeb Adreon - OF/1B
FR: .362/.458/.624 29 2B, 8 HR, 56 RBI
SO: .354/.489/.551 10 2B, 5 HR, 39 RBI

Austin Martin - C
FR: .304/.380/.409 10 2B
SO: .292/.393/.389

Izaya Fullard - 3B
FR: .451/.505/.610 12 2B, 58 RBI

Hunter Lee - P
SO: 6-2 5.25/1.33 36 IP, 56 K

Heller has had amazing success with juco guts at Iowa. You have Jake Adams, Joel Booker, Tyler Peyton, Mason McCoy, Tyler Cropley, Dan Potempa, Lorenzo Elion, and I know I am missing a ton. That was just off the top of my head. Problem is if they are draft eligible you never know if they'll arrive on campus and when they do is it for one year? Two? Three?

I love the stats on this. I'm not as in tune as you guys in baseball. When the draft comes can you give us an update on who gets drafted and who ends up joining us? I'm assuming if they are not drafted in like the first 10 rounds or something like that the end up going to college anyways and trying to improve their draft status?

I love the stats on this. I'm not as in tune as you guys in baseball. When the draft comes can you give us an update on who gets drafted and who ends up joining us? I'm assuming if they are not drafted in like the first 10 rounds or something like that the end up going to college anyways and trying to improve their draft status?

Not always, it comes down to money.

Chris Comito was drafted by the White Sox in the 14th round. I'd say you go to college, but he went pro. So ultimately it comes down to what they get offered. Sometimes teams save money on the early picks, which allows them to throw more at the later picks.

Reactions: bigtenbullies
Do we have some underclassmen who are a real threat to be drafted and gone after this year? Neustrom, Whelan, Daniels, Allgeyer that are having a great year?

Do we have some underclassmen who are a real threat to be drafted and gone after this year? Neustrom, Whelan, Daniels, Allgeyer that are having a great year?

They would all be possibilities. The highest-ranked prospects coming into the year for Iowa were Neustrom and Schanuel (Schanuel was a 20th round pick by the Phillies last year coming out of JUCO). Neustrom is having a very good year. Slugging .578 with a on-base% of nearly .400. Schanuel has great stuff but his command hasn't been very good. He's walked 41 in 49 innings. Whelan is coming off TJ surgery and hasn't played in the field much. He's hitting very well, on-base % of .420. Daniels has been excellent on the mound, as has Allgeyer. McDonald may have been an option but his late-season injury issues could have teams shy away from drafting.

I can't see how Neustrom isn't gone. He was highly regarded coming into the year, and he has the physical tools profile as well. And he has produced. For the others, I have no idea.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Some of the guys signed for next year are putting up huge numbers!

Korry Howell - SS (I’ve seen him as a top 5 or 10 juco prospect for the draft, not sure if he ends up at Iowa)
FR: .394/.467/.566 14 2B, 6 HR, 43 SB!
SO: .391/.475/.586 17 2B, 5 3B, 32 SB

Tanner Padgett - 1B/OF
FR: .382/.457/.667 14 2B, 16 HR, 61 RBI
SO: .333/.467/.957 he’s played 5 games and has 2 HR

Zeb Adreon - OF/1B
FR: .362/.458/.624 29 2B, 8 HR, 56 RBI
SO: .354/.489/.551 10 2B, 5 HR, 39 RBI

Austin Martin - C
FR: .304/.380/.409 10 2B
SO: .292/.393/.389

Izaya Fullard - 3B
FR: .451/.505/.610 12 2B, 58 RBI

Hunter Lee - P
SO: 6-2 5.25/1.33 36 IP, 56 K

Nice post.

Its crazy, isn't it, how Heller has created so much excitement concerning Iowa baseball?

I wonder how many more years he wants to coach ;)

His teams are so dang fun to watch.

Give 'Em HELLer !!!
GO HAWKS!!!

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Heller has had amazing success with juco guts at Iowa. You have Jake Adams, Joel Booker, Tyler Peyton, Mason McCoy, Tyler Cropley, Dan Potempa, Lorenzo Elion, and I know I am missing a ton. That was just off the top of my head. Problem is if they are draft eligible you never know if they'll arrive on campus and when they do is it for one year? Two? Three?

HELLer does an amazing job managing his roster and navigating so much (the issues you address above; injuries; allocating scholarship money; etc)

They would all be possibilities. The highest-ranked prospects coming into the year for Iowa were Neustrom and Schanuel (Schanuel was a 20th round pick by the Phillies last year coming out of JUCO). Neustrom is having a very good year. Slugging .578 with a on-base% of nearly .400. Schanuel has great stuff but his command hasn't been very good. He's walked 41 in 49 innings. Whelan is coming off TJ surgery and hasn't played in the field much. He's hitting very well, on-base % of .420. Daniels has been excellent on the mound, as has Allgeyer. McDonald may have been an option but his late-season injury issues could have teams shy away from drafting.

I can't see how Neustrom isn't gone. He was highly regarded coming into the year, and he has the physical tools profile as well. And he has produced. For the others, I have no idea.
nice post; the offseason is always crazy, isn't it?

hope they are all back ;);)

Nice post.

Its crazy, isn't it, how Heller has created so much excitement concerning Iowa baseball?

I wonder how many more years he wants to coach ;)

His teams are so dang fun to watch.

Give 'Em HELLer !!!
GO HAWKS!!!

He graduated from college in 1986, which would make him roughly 53-54-ish age. No idea how long he wishes to coach. I would guess he wants to see if he can get Iowa to a CWS in the next decade or so. Plenty of years left in the coaching gas tank if he wants to do it.

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT