ADVERTISEMENT

Judge tells Justice Dept. to redact Trump search affidavit, says he’s inclined to unseal parts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A federal judge on Thursday ordered the government to redact and ultimately release a version of the highly sensitive warrant affidavit that was used to justify a search by the F.B.I. last week of former President Donald J. Trump’s private home and club.
Ruling from the bench, the judge, Bruce E. Reinhart, said that there were portions of the affidavit that “could be presumptively unsealed.”
“Whether those portions would be meaningful for the public or the media,” he added, was not for him to decide.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Judge Reinhart’s surprising decision struck a middle course between the Justice Department, which wanted to keep the affidavit entirely under wraps as its investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of classified documents continued, and a group of news organizations, which requested that it be released in full to the public.

Warrant affidavits — which are written and sworn to by federal agents before a search takes place — contain detailed information about criminal investigations and are almost always kept under seal until charges are filed.
As part of his ruling, Judge Reinhart ordered the government to send him under seal proposed redactions to the warrant affidavit by next Thursday at noon. He said he would review the suggestions and decide if he agreed with them.
“This is going to be a considered, careful process,” Judge Reinhart said.

A federal judge on Thursday ordered the government to redact and ultimately release a version of the highly sensitive warrant affidavit that was used to justify a search by the F.B.I. last week of former President Donald J. Trump’s private home and club.
Ruling from the bench, the judge, Bruce E. Reinhart, said that there were portions of the affidavit that “could be presumptively unsealed.”
“Whether those portions would be meaningful for the public or the media,” he added, was not for him to decide.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Judge Reinhart’s surprising decision struck a middle course between the Justice Department, which wanted to keep the affidavit entirely under wraps as its investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of classified documents continued, and a group of news organizations, which requested that it be released in full to the public.

Warrant affidavits — which are written and sworn to by federal agents before a search takes place — contain detailed information about criminal investigations and are almost always kept under seal until charges are filed.
As part of his ruling, Judge Reinhart ordered the government to send him under seal proposed redactions to the warrant affidavit by next Thursday at noon. He said he would review the suggestions and decide if he agreed with them.
“This is going to be a considered, careful process,” Judge Reinhart said.

Weird that Trump's lawyers MADE NO CASE to open the affidavit to the public.
Must be some bad stuff in there they know about.

Reactions: mphawk
From Trump's side, they want to release the affidavit so they can pinpoint the leak. Depending on what is released they might be able to find clues to who provided information.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Who knows. Trump and co want this so that they can 1) figure out who the informant is, and 2) attempt to try to put the DoJ is on trial and spoil any investigation.
Who knows? Really? Affidavits don't have that kind of detail. You know that, of course, but just want to argue.

Should the Justice Department charge Trump with a crime, he'll be entitled to a copy of the complete, unredacted affidavit.

Reactions: torbee
Who knows? Really? Affidavits don't have that kind of detail. You know that, of course, but just want to argue.

Should the Justice Department charge Trump with a crime, he'll be entitled to a copy of the complete, unredacted affidavit.

Well know, I don’t actually know what’s typically involved in an affidavit, so I was attempting to not to feign expertise when I don’t have one here.

And yes, he is entitled to that unredacted copy if charges are filed. He wants them now to try and gum up the works, maybe witness intimidation, or cherry pick some part of this to make some straw man argument that confirms his narrative.

Well know, I don’t actually know what’s typically involved in an affidavit, so I was attempting to not to feign expertise when I don’t have one here.

And yes, he is entitled to that unredacted copy if charges are filed. He wants them now to try and gum up the works, maybe witness intimidation, or cherry pick some part of this to make some straw man argument that confirms his narrative.
Everyone should want to know what's in the affidavit.

Well the DOJ can and will have this repealed to another court IF they aren't happy, then another until it gets to the Supreme court, probably take months, CONS will be pissed.

Well the DOJ can and will have this repealed to another court
No, they'll just agree upon redactions that won't impact the DOJ's investigation.

The released affidavit will probably outline in detail how the government TRIED to have ALL of the information returned, and how they learned about how it had NOT been returned w/o compromising sources or key info.

Mark Lombardo, who is running against Gaetz down here in Lower Alabama, I mean Pensacola, FL is running a fun ad against Gaetz accusing him of being the one who turned on Trump and worked with the feds.

This is going to be an interesting election result.

Yep, that's what the article says.
It isn't how the title of the thread reads to me, though.
I say go for it. It will be heavily redacted, and will make Trump look guilty. No real lawyer thinks releasing more information will make Trump look good. Just lawyers like Rand Paul Esq, or Marjorie Taylor Green.

Trump only wanted it released for revenge on those who provided info regarding the search warrant.
And, to try to impede the investigation.

I suspect he'll actually regret the release when we see some of the evidence it contains.

Trump only wanted it released for revenge on those who provided info regarding the search warrant.
And, to try to impede the investigation.

I suspect he'll actually regret the release when we see some of the evidence it contains.
Probably. Trump plays checkers, not chess.

Just in , DOJ's first submission of the redacted affidavit

Aclu-v-ashcroft-redacted.jpg

Yeah, zero chance MAGATS would go after any witness.
Not when Trump goes to a rally, names the person who provided the details, and in a mocking tone tells the assembled human flotsam and jetsam that, "Now, nothing, and I mean nothing, had better happen to this very fine person (Eye roll). Take very, very special care of this person for me, will yah"?

Not when Trump goes to a rally, names the person who provided the details, and in a mocking tone tells the assembled human flotsam and jetsam that, "Now, nothing, and I mean nothing, had better happen to this very fine person (Eye roll). Take very, very special care of this person for me, will yah"?
I think you missed the sarcasm.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
I think you missed the sarcasm.
Oh, I acknowledged with a like. I am just making the point that some people still refuse to understand. Trump is one of the worst people on the planet, and he'd kill someone if it meant protecting himself. Well, not personally, that's what violent mobs are for.

Reactions: artradley
Well the DOJ can and will have this repealed to another court IF they aren't happy, then another until it gets to the Supreme court, probably take months, CONS will be pissed.
I dont think they'd be pissed. I think the magas would scream about the doj trying to hide stuff. It would benefit them greatly.

Reactions: tumorboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT