ADVERTISEMENT

Judge temporarily blocks ‘trigger law’ on abortion in Louisiana

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A Louisiana judge on Monday temporarily blocked the state from imposing its ban on abortion, the result of a “trigger law” that prohibited the procedure as soon as the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.

The order followed a lawsuit by abortion providers alleging that the law, designed to take effect automatically if the Supreme Court struck down Roe, are “constitutionally vague.” A hearing is pending next week.
Thirteen states across the country had trigger laws on the books when the court struck down Roe on Friday, ending the guarantee to a right to abortion in place for nearly 50 years. In several states, including Louisiana, those laws took effect immediately, halting abortion care across the state.

Louisiana has passed multiple trigger laws since 2006.
On Monday, Judge Robin M. Giarrusso simply approved the application for a temporary injunction and set a hearing for July 8 in the Civil District Court for the Orleans Parish. There was no immediate additional comment from Giarrusso.

In their suit, the abortion providers argue that it’s impossible to tell which, if any, of the state’s trigger laws are in effect and exactly what conduct is prohibited.
“In a stunning state of affairs, the day [the Supreme Court’s abortion ruling] was issued, state and local officials issued conflicting statements about whether and which trigger laws were actually in effect and thus what conduct — if any — was prohibited,” the providers say. “Due process requires more.”

The abortion providers are arguing that, to criminalize something, people need to know exactly what is being criminalized and when, said Mary Ziegler, a law professor who specializes in abortion.
“They’re saying, ‘we need to know the rules of the game from the beginning,’” Ziegler said — and that the trigger law is too “ambiguous” to take effect.
Supreme Court ruling leaves states free to outlaw abortion
The suit has been filed on behalf of Hope Medical Group for Women, among others, with the backing of the Center for Reproductive Rights. The suit names Louisiana’s attorney general, Jeff Landry, and health secretary.

Some antiabortion group leaders had anticipated that courts may block trigger laws.
Students for Life, a national antiabortion organization, has been encouraging antiabortion states to pass more than one law banning abortion, so the states can activate backup legislation if their first law is successfully challenged.

“The more things you can pass and the more things you can push through, the harder it’s going to be for the abortion lobby to file a blanket lawsuit to stop it,” said Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life.
Many people were critical of Oklahoma this year when Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) signed a series of abortion bans, Hawkins said, but that was a strategy to ensure abortion would remain illegal in the state.
Ultimately, the injunction on Louisiana’s trigger ban will almost certainly be lifted, Ziegler said. The case will soon be appealed to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, among the most conservative courts in the country, known for upholding the restrictive Texas abortion law enacted last fall.
This kind of court challenge may prove more successful in other states, where cases go up through a different court of appeals, Ziegler said.

Reactions: ft254
Make the assholes work every diabolical effort.

I’m sorry but any physician who doesn’t perform lifesaving abortions that result in severe physical harm or loss of life of the woman should be jailed for deadly assault or murder. I don’t care what the state says, it’s insanity.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I’m sorry but any physician who doesn’t perform lifesaving abortions that result in severe physical harm or loss of life of the woman should be jailed for deadly assault or murder. I don’t care what the state says, it’s insanity.
I am not at all saying I support a COMPLETE ban, but the issue with exceptions is they ALL become exceptions.. I'm ALL for saving a woman's life in the event of an ectopic pregnancy as an example... but lets say that was THE exception... all of a sudden we go from 100 per year to 100,000?

I'm all for states choosing what their laws are going to be, businesses have stepped up and created policies that support travel, and honestly if abortion access means that much to someone they have the option of moving to a place that supports it.

I feel like this is something that should be voted on at the state level. That's true democracy.

I'm against that ban, and I still can't understand why abortion should be banned. Each woman should have the right to decide what to do. It's okay for people to have a different opinion about abortion; someone supports its' legalization, somebody is against it, and it's okay. But it's about rights, so I don't understand why states want to ban that right. Or maybe, I just don't understand something. Anyway, I have to write a paper soon, and I will for sure find more info. I found this site https://www.studydriver.com/abortion with argumentative essay examples on abortion, which showed me how to write a paper in general, and I found there some interesting ideas, which I will include in my writing. I hope to see the info about the history of such laws and maybe, some information about abortion, but from a moral side. But I still think that banning is not the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I am not at all saying I support a COMPLETE ban, but the issue with exceptions is they ALL become exceptions.. I'm ALL for saving a woman's life in the event of an ectopic pregnancy as an example... but lets say that was THE exception... all of a sudden we go from 100 per year to 100,000?

I'm all for states choosing what their laws are going to be, businesses have stepped up and created policies that support travel, and honestly if abortion access means that much to someone they have the option of moving to a place that supports it.

I feel like this is something that should be voted on at the state level. That's true democracy.

A government should vote for a woman's medical decision. What does that have to do with democracy?

If you are opposed to abortion don't get one. Easy. Otherwise, stay out of the conversation. That's democracy. 60% of Americans agree abortions should be legal. That's democracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
A government should vote for a woman's medical decision. What does that have to do with democracy?

If you are opposed to abortion don't get one. Easy. Otherwise, stay out of the conversation. That's democracy. 60% of Americans agree abortions should be legal. That's democracy.
60% and I'm one of them, but I have my limits to what I think is okay. I'm guessing you support bans on certain guns, but overall you're not completely opposed to the 2A. The answer lies somewhere between no guns and bazookas. Same with abortion for me, my personal preference is that women don't get abortions, however I don't believe as a law they should be banned...however, I am in favor of some limit like 15 weeks with defined medically necessary exceptions after that.

60% and I'm one of them, but I have my limits to what I think is okay. I'm guessing you support bans on certain guns, but overall you're not completely opposed to the 2A. The answer lies somewhere between no guns and bazookas. Same with abortion for me, my personal preference is that women don't get abortions, however I don't believe as a law they should be banned...however, I am in favor of some limit like 15 weeks with defined medically necessary exceptions after that.

What does a state legislator in Des Moines or Lincoln or have to do with a woman discussing decisions with her doctor in Cedar Rapids or Elkhorn?

Do you realize you are talking about interfering with personal decisions. You are a right winger for christs sakes. Is the end goal the prize or the harassment the thrill? The SCOTUS's target is not abortion; it's erosion of personal rights. JFC, look at what their agenda. And it will affect you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT