ADVERTISEMENT

Julius Brents

We are having an abnormally high numbers of transfers. The last thing the program should do is knee jerk and make changes based on a few malcontents.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Loyalty to whom? I used to be on that same bandwagon you’re on but this season realized these kids are getting one pulled over on them.

FCS=too dangerous to play with COVID....FBS power five? You better get out there and make that money. Time to pay these kids. And get rid of the one sided LOI. The coaches sure are not loyal.

also this is not a good look for our program...at all....

What danger are "the kids" in from COVID? How many D1 players have been hospitalized from it?

Look at Nebraska.
Yes look at Nebraska. Coach is about to be fired and program is falling apart.
Look, it appears to be common that schools lose this many guys yearly. I don't know for sure but it seems like this is a high for Iowa under Kirk.

Iowa is getting better players every year in each recruiting class, there are only 11 starting positions on offense and defense, players get injured, so the opportunity to step on the field is only a play away. Iowa has always been strong in the defensive backfield and hope Brents is open to staying like Nixon did and prove he is able to win a starting spot at the corner position. He has to fight for it and play better than he did at Purdue when given the chance.

Iowa is getting better players every year in each recruiting class, there are only 11 starting positions on offense and defense, players get injured, so the opportunity to step on the field is only a play away. Iowa has always been strong in the defensive backfield and hope Brents is open to staying like Nixon did and prove he is able to win a starting spot at the corner position. He has to fight for it and play better than he did at Purdue when given the chance.
Afaik, nixon never wanted to leave....just wanted a backup if he couldn't stay

Lets hope Hankins comes back next year. Iowa has lost three CBs to transfer this year and the only CB committed in the incoming class decomitted.

Not really worried about CB with Parker. Moss, Roberts, Harris, Deasfernandes and Lawson still there

Hopefully phil can find a couple good transfers that want to become rich ;)

If this is the new way of college football, Iowa can play the game too. Maybe even find a MAC stud like Charlie Jones but obviously in the d backfield.

Reactions: 24 so far
Pretty simple....If he was a really good player he'd be starting and on an awards watch list not on the transfer portal list.

If this is the new way of college football, Iowa can play the game too. Maybe even find a MAC stud like Charlie Jones but obviously in the d backfield.
It's definitely a big part of recruiting these days. Have a few different transfers that have helped us. Hope they continue finding more hidden gems.

Normally I do not post on message boards, but I do find this interesting. When things became very heated last summer I posted a tweet in defense of the coaches. Brent's mother sent me a tweet back and we had a lengthy back and forth on twitter. She felt that there was racism not only in the program but also in Iowa City. She related an experience to me that her oldest son who was a truck driver was in a bar with a white friend in Iowa City. The waitress was rude to him and she used that as an example. I told her in all my years going to school there I have never seen racism in the community. She made the comment, "well let's both of us go together in the same bar and see how I am treated." Not sure if this was something that was still bothering them but she was really outspoken about it at the time.

[QUOTE="David
Man, that’s a weird one. Why not wait to see if you can win Hankins job? Unless it’s personal reasons?

• Haha
Reactions: EBL#7
Normally I do not post on message boards, but I do find this interesting. When things became very heated last summer I posted a tweet in defense of the coaches. Brent's mother sent me a tweet back and we had a lengthy back and forth on twitter. She felt that there was racism not only in the program but also in Iowa City. She related an experience to me that her oldest son who was a truck driver was in a bar with a white friend in Iowa City. The waitress was rude to him and she used that as an example. I told her in all my years going to school there I have never seen racism in the community. She made the comment, "well let's both of us go together in the same bar and see how I am treated." Not sure if this was something that was still bothering them but she was really outspoken about it at the time.

[QUOTE="David
Man, that’s a weird one. Why not wait to see if you can win Hankins job? Unless it’s personal reasons?
Omg!! There was a racist in Iowa City?

Just like everywhere else? Lmao.
Has her family moved out of indy or does she think there are no racist people there.
Does she think she can go into any ic bar and they all have racist people? If so, how ignorant.

Friendly reminder that entering the transfer portal does not guarantee that he will transfer. Nixon was once in the portal also IIRC.

If he exits, losing DJ Johnson and Brents the same year sucks. Phil Parker has several recent B10 Defensive POYs to his credit and molds guys into NFL potential.

Finally, Terry Roberts certainly deserves a shot and could be rewarded for working hard and staying with the program.

And DJ Johnson just opted out for the rest of the season at Purdue, I think before the Nebby game.

[QUOTE="David
You are dumb.

In all honesty folks ... given what the program is going through ... I think that this is making some of us (maybe even myself included) think that this is stranger than it really is.

If you look at the pattern of what happens with Phil Parker secondaries ... he almost always recruits a few classes in a row that are loaded with guys. Then those guys go through the patented Phil Parker wringer ... and, for better or worse, A LOT of guys often get run-off.

Right when King and Maybin were hammering out their starting spots ... the Hawks saw guys like Buford, Rucker, Embry, and Fleming fly off in the wind. Not all guys make it ...

In the following wave ... we saw Rugamba, Boswell, Creamer, and Turner fly off in the wind.

While I wish some of the guys would stay ... not all guys mesh with Phil's style. And, frankly, that is okay ...

He wants to go to Indiana but not sure we want him
That makes sense ... he might want to see about still trying to play with DJ (Johnson) ... and both guys might try to see if they could land at Indiana. But ... Indiana might not want 'em. Indiana wants their guys tough ... and it doesn't demonstrate the strongest character to bail on your current band of brothers.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
That makes sense ... he might want to see about still trying to play with DJ (Johnson) ... and both guys might try to see if they could land at Indiana. But ... Indiana might not want 'em. Indiana wants their guys tough ... and it doesn't demonstrate the strongest character to bail on your current band of brothers.
If I'm IND there is no way I'm taking djj lol. 3rd school in 3 years and quit on his current one....

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Certainly there is some racism in the Iowa City area. I've been all over this country ... and you don't really escape it. The good news is that most folks are pretty good. A lot of the explicit (non-institutionalized) racism is still mostly practiced by those in the fringe.

However, it's odd that Brent's mom would remark upon that ... because I've run into far more racism in the state of Indiana than I ever have in Iowa. Strange ... that's all I can say.

Am I the only one who remembers Kirk saying in last week's presser that Terry Roberts is going to become an every-down player sooner rather than later? Kind of sounds like the equivalent of the handwriting on the wall. Still hate to see him go.

In all honesty folks ... given what the program is going through ... I think that this is making some of us (maybe even myself included) think that this is stranger than it really is.

If you look at the pattern of what happens with Phil Parker secondaries ... he almost always recruits a few classes in a row that are loaded with guys. Then those guys go through the patented Phil Parker wringer ... and, for better or worse, A LOT of guys often get run-off.

Right when King and Maybin were hammering out their starting spots ... the Hawks saw guys like Buford, Rucker, Embry, and Fleming fly off in the wind. Not all guys make it ...

In the following wave ... we saw Rugamba, Boswell, Creamer, and Turner fly off in the wind.

While I wish some of the guys would stay ... not all guys mesh with Phil's style. And, frankly, that is okay ...

"Not meshing with a coach's style" is likely to translate to "future plaintiff" in today's social climate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT