ADVERTISEMENT

July could be a big recruiting month

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
With Shannon's commitment and expected July announcements from Waggoner and Levis this could be very good recruiting month. In addition, Torres visits next week so a commitment may be getting closer from him.

I think we have a great shot at all three. Would make for a great month.

Last edited:
Also hoping for the highly rated CB out of Indiana that has Iowa in his top 3. Can't remember his name off the top of my head.

Same Moore visited Friday. Academic only visit though. He is doing the same at NDSU on Monday. He could commit this week.

Its been noted that Brents and Johnson could be a package deal, meaning if Johnson chooses the Hawks, Brents could very well follow
That would be two very good DB gets, really like Brent length at safety.

Same Moore visited Friday. Academic only visit though. He is doing the same at NDSU on Monday. He could commit this week.
Forgot about Sam Moore. Kid has a good first step, yes he comes from a small school but you can't teach size and speed. Would love to see him and Waggoner on the edge down the road. We get these two commits, I think we are done across the D-line.

I am concerned with LBer, losing all three starters this year, really need two more to go along with Doyle.

Would be super stoked if Waggoner squeezed the trigger for the Hawks. Imagine, a couple of years down the road, with him on side of the DL and AJ on the other. Gives me the chills just thinking about it.

247 probably isn't a great predictor but they seem to think Brents, Bussell and Waggoner are likely commits and that Johnson goes to ND.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Forgot about Sam Moore. Kid has a good first step, yes he comes from a small school but you can't teach size and speed. Would love to see him and Waggoner on the edge down the road. We get these two commits, I think we are done across the D-line.

I am concerned with LBer, losing all three starters this year, really need two more to go along with Doyle.
Linebackers after this years 3 will be ok.. Amani jones and Welch the coaches are already raving about.. hockaday is a stop gap but good. Then young Neimann, wade and weiland are all there

Reactions: fifteenandoh
247 probably isn't a great predictor but they seem to think Brents, Bussell and Waggoner are likely commits and that Johnson goes to ND.
I think Iowa gets Levis, Waggoner, Brents, Moore and Johnson.. then some linebacker late in the class and one more wide receiver.

Reactions: RogerKint
I think Iowa gets Levis, Waggoner, Brents, Moore and Johnson.. then some linebacker late in the class and one more wide receiver.
Iowa may land Levis if he leaves PSU this weekend without an offer and he doesn't want to wait around for FSU.

If PSU offers this weekend then Iowa is in for a big challenge to get him.

edit: the folks at 247 also predict him going to PSU even without an offer thus far.

Last edited:
Iowa may land Levis if he leaves PSU this weekend without an offer and he doesn't want to wait around for FSU.

edit: the folks at 247 also predict him going to PSU even without an offer thus far.
I believe that is because they're all banking on him getting the PSU offer when he visits there. We'll see if that prediction comes to fruition.

I genuinely hope that the Hawks land Levis. Before PSU jumped into the picture, my vibe was that the Hawks were well-positioned to land him after North Carolina got Ruder.

Something to keep in mind about 247- a lot of their predictions aren't updated frequently, so the crystal ball is not necessarily a good barometer of the present

Something to keep in mind about 247- a lot of their predictions aren't updated frequently, so the crystal ball is not necessarily a good barometer of the present
This is true, because it appears we cooled on Bussell. But if you look at most recent predictions it can be helpful in seeing current trends. ND is leading for Johnson but most recent predictions are iowa. He and Waggoner would be HUGE pickups if you look at offer lists. Brent's I agree with others would fit well and do well. Torres had OK offer list, but having a guy committed going to IMG would be bonus- school is loaded with talent. Moore won't excite anybody now but will pry end up excelling like many others that come to Iowa with similar story. I also think we get FLA WR coached by Pascal....forgot his name

This is true, because it appears we cooled on Bussell. But if you look at most recent predictions it can be helpful in seeing current trends. ND is leading for Johnson but most recent predictions are iowa. He and Waggoner would be HUGE pickups if you look at offer lists. Brent's I agree with others would fit well and do well. Torres had OK offer list, but having a guy committed going to IMG would be bonus- school is loaded with talent. Moore won't excite anybody now but will pry end up excelling like many others that come to Iowa with similar story. I also think we get FLA WR coached by Pascal....forgot his name
Calvin Lockett is the wr from Florida..Indiana has grabbed 2-3 players coached by Pascal that held Iowa offers over the past few classes..His connection to Iowa helped Iowa into the door but he hasn't "pushed" Iowa onto his prospects like some coaches do at other high schools that have connections to certain colleges.

Reactions: nu2u
Completely agree with you. As long as the predictions are recent they're usually reliable. Sure hope they're right and we land Waggoner and Johnson

I think he would have verballed to Iowa a couple of months ago if the staff would have allowed it.
That's the vibe I am getting too, but who knows? Recruiting can be fun, confusing and miserable at the same time. Any more I get as excited when unranked who the hell is this guy recruit signs as I do any others (at least when it's this early-bc you know Phil is smirking ear to ear about something going Terry Roberts...saw him in person, offered on the spot and accepted....those types are the ones that end up drafted it seems

^In regards to Roberts..quite a bit of "legwork" was done on him before his invitation to camp at Iowa..KOK and maybe Parker himself, had been to Erie atleast twice before the invite that eventually led to the offer. Not disagreeing with anything you said..just adding a little background info on his recruitment by Iowa.

Reactions: nu2u
^In regards to Roberts..quite a bit of "legwork" was done on him before his invitation to camp at Iowa..KOK and maybe Parker himself, had been to Erie atleast twice before the invite that eventually led to the offer. Not disagreeing with anything you said..just adding a little background info on his recruitment by Iowa.
A lot of that leg work was done by jovon Johnson.. he is the one who sent him iowas way first..

I did not have Levis on my July list of possible commits because I knew he was visiting PSU this weekend. I agree, I think he will stay out East if they offer. Penn State has missed on several other prospects so far this year.

Linebackers after this years 3 will be ok.. Amani jones and Welch the coaches are already raving about.. hockaday is a stop gap but good. Then young Neimann, wade and weiland are all there
Also Miles Taylor's younger brother was a freshman last year. Haven't heard much about him yet, but I still remember when they brought Miles in there was talk about going after his brother the LB who was a higher ranked recruit. I think he was a 4 star with some pretty solid offers.

Calvin Lockett is the wr from Florida..Indiana has grabbed 2-3 players coached by Pascal that held Iowa offers over the past few classes..His connection to Iowa helped Iowa into the door but he hasn't "pushed" Iowa onto his prospects like some coaches do at other high schools that have connections to certain colleges.

Is that the same WR was ready to commit but hadn't visited. Pretty sure was another guy. Wonder what the story with him is. When he will visit Iowa City.

Is that the same WR was ready to commit but hadn't visited. Pretty sure was another guy. Wonder what the story with him is. When he will visit Iowa City.
That was Ivan Thomas. I doubt he visits because that whole scenario probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

So what are we thinking as it relates to finishing off this class?

- Johnson and Brents at DB
- Bussell at DB (if he makes the grade)
- Moore at DT
- Waggoner at DE
- Levis if PSU doesn't offer
- a few Florida WRs recruited by Copeland (just guessing)

Also Miles Taylor's younger brother was a freshman last year. Haven't heard much about him yet, but I still remember when they brought Miles in there was talk about going after his brother the LB who was a higher ranked recruit. I think he was a 4 star with some pretty solid offers.
The talent at MLB must have been pretty good because it was enough to motivate Garbutt to leave. Taylor strikes me as an inside backer (either MIKE or WILL). Hockaday is the likely incumbent to follow Jewell after '17 ... but he'll be a senior in '18. That opens up a whole world of opportunity in '19. I know that Welsh has practiced a lot at both LEO and MIKE - so he might be our most "versatile" LB. Nick Niemann appears to be OLB (LEO) all the way - provided that he doesn't grow into a DE or TE. Amani Jones and Aaron Mends will be battling for the top spots at WILL through the coming years - both guys are talented ... Mends is likely a little bit more raw of a talent, so Jones's "natural" football intuition likely gives him an edge there.

In addition to the aforementioned guys, Colbert may initially get his feet wet at safety ... but he could grow into a Christian Kirksey-like LEO for us. Wieland will eventually be in the picture at LEO too.

If I'm correct about Torres allowing for the coaches to be more flexible with their use of Coons ... if the need arises, Coons might get a look at LB too.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
5.7 3 star on this site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT