ADVERTISEMENT

July could be a big recruiting month

So what are we thinking as it relates to finishing off this class?

- Johnson and Brents at DB
- Bussell at DB (if he makes the grade)
- Moore at DT
- Waggoner at DE
- Levis if PSU doesn't offer
- a few Florida WRs recruited by Copeland (just guessing)

I think at least one more LBer. I'm feeling less confident in Bussell ending up at Iowa, will probably land in the SEC. I hope Brents, but MSU has closed the gap. Johnson is trending up for the Hawks but the Domers will be tough to beat. I like Moore's first step, he could stay on the edge. I like the thought of him and Waggoner on the edge down the road. We need at least two more WR's, we have a great slot commit. I still think Samson's a safety.

Last edited:
I think at least one more LBer. I'm feeling less confident in Bussell ending up at Iowa, will probably land in the SEC. I hope Brents, but MSU has closed the gap. Johnson is trending up for the Hawks but the Domers will be tough to beat. I like Moore's first step, he could stay on the edge. I like the thought of him and Waggoner on the edge down the road. We need at least two more DB's, we have a great slot commit. I still think Samson's a safety.
I could be wrong, but I don't get the vibe that LB is a big need position for the '18 class. We could still land a guy there ... we just don't seem to be going hard after any LBs in the '18 class. We seemed poised to go after a lot of LBs in the '19 class.

I agree about Bussell - all has been quiet on that front for a while. If he can make the grade ... the push that Iowa has made in the state could help them however.

At DE we're looking at having guys like Epenesa, Simon, Golston, and Waggoner (fingers crossed concerning Waggoner). That makes it appear to me that there would be more opportunity to be had at DT. Besides, all I've read suggests that the coaches have recruited him at DT.

Regarding Samson Evans - he's a guy who likes having the ball in his hands. He reminds me of an Ed Hinkel. I think that slot is a good fit for him. I think Tracy is versatile and will play several of the WR spots. We're still in need of more talent at WR. I don't know who we seem to have the most sway with currently. Again, my guess would be that Kelton will bring in some other guys he's comfortable with ... perhaps from Florida to help him start gaining some recruiting traction back in his home state.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
I could be wrong, but I don't get the vibe that LB is a big need position for the '18 class. We could still land a guy there ... we just don't seem to be going hard after any LBs in the '18 class. We seemed poised to go after a lot of LBs in the '19 class.

I agree about Bussell - all has been quiet on that front for a while. If he can make the grade ... the push that Iowa has made in the state could help them however.

At DE we're looking at having guys like Epenesa, Simon, Golston, and Waggoner (fingers crossed concerning Waggoner). That makes it appear to me that there would be more opportunity to be had at DT. Besides, all I've read suggests that the coaches have recruited him at DT.

Regarding Samson Evans - he's a guy who likes having the ball in his hands. He reminds me of an Ed Hinkel. I think that slot is a good fit for him. I think Tracy is versatile and will play several of the WR spots. We're still in need of more talent at WR. I don't know who we seem to have the most sway with currently. Again, my guess would be that Kelton will bring in some other guys he's comfortable with ... perhaps from Florida to help him start gaining some recruiting traction back in his home state.
Where are people getting this grades rumor on bussel.. rob Howe on his podcast today, pretty much acted like Iowa was still in play for him.. unless he hasn't heard anything yet

Where are people getting this grades rumor on bussel.. rob Howe on his podcast today, pretty much acted like Iowa was still in play for him.. unless he hasn't heard anything yet
A couple of the Mods on this site stated he had to get some academic worked cleaned up...They stated bigger(P5)schools were waiting on this issue to be cleared up before they offered..This was before he transferred to a high school in Tenn. My take-schools are waiting to see how his academic work goes at his new high school. The Iowa staff told Roberts they are taking 3 DB's in this class. Bussell went with the DB's on his visit to IC. I'm thinking if Iowa lands Johnson and Brents..Bussell will not have the opportunity to join the Iowa squad.

Does anyone have any inside info on Waggoner? I haven't heard much on him lately. Has he been taking visits this summer? Sounds like he's waiting for a Norte Dame offer but it might not come. If that's the case, who's Iowa's biggest competition to get him?

Must of felt a little animosity toward the staff for not letting him commit. Hurts to lose a guy to FIU.

I think it was only you who felt animosity, which you do with anything the coaches do. History will show that most recruits that commit to Iowa before visiting change their mind. We know very little about what goes on behind the scenes, so I trust what the coaches do. I think he is more of a TE than WR, could be when they felt good about Torres they slowed down with Thomas. Could also be that we pulled the offer once Torres visited and committed. His commitment to FIU is awfully close to the Torres commit. Either way I wish the young man all the best.

Reactions: RogerKint
I think it was only you who felt animosity, which you do with anything the coaches do. History will show that most recruits that commit to Iowa before visiting change their mind. We know very little about what goes on behind the scenes, so I trust what the coaches do. I think he is more of a TE than WR, could be when they felt good about Torres they slowed down with Thomas. Could also be that we pulled the offer once Torres visited and committed. His commitment to FIU is awfully close to the Torres commit. Either way I wish the young man all the best.
Torres is a TE who might end up at offensive line, and this guy was a WR. Don't see why Torres committing would have taken this guys spot.

Torres is a TE who might end up at offensive line, and this guy was a WR. Don't see why Torres committing would have taken this guys spot.
Torres has great hands, Iowa doesn't always convert TE's to the O-line. Everything I've heard is the staff really likes him at TE.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Torres has great hands, Iowa doesn't always convert TE's to the O-line. Everything I've heard is the staff really likes him at TE.
Yeah, his reps working at TE are what earned him the scholarship at Iowa. Guys like Hamilton and Fiedorowicz came to Iowa pretty "big" ... and both guys remained at TE.

Guys like Edds, Ballard, and Boettger came in at TE and moved to LB, DL, and OL, respectively.

What will happen with Torres is anybody's guess ... but odds are that he's going to initially start working at TE. If he sticks there ... great! If he doesn't ... then the coaches will try to still find a position home for him where he can be a contributor.

Hope this is a sign that we backed off due to a DE to the West being a silent commitment and we fill good about another D lineman from the show me state.

Could be he is closer to NDSU and likes them better. Good luck Sam.

Hope this is a sign that we backed off due to a DE to the West being a silent commitment and we fill good about another D lineman from the show me state.

Could be he is closer to NDSU and likes them better. Good luck Sam.

Don't think we backed off but if we get Parker and Waggoner then who cares? Moore is a good talent but a dl class of Waggoner, Linderbaum (sp?)Shannon and Parker would be amazing.

Don't think we backed off but if we get Parker and Waggoner then who cares? Moore is a good talent but a dl class of Waggoner, Linderbaum (sp?)Shannon and Parker would be amazing.
Totally agree, I really liked Moore's video, he has a great first step. When you see someone dominate even at a small schooled level, you can see the potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT