ADVERTISEMENT

July Live Period 1

HawkHoops80

HR All-American
Mar 20, 2022
Today through Sunday starts the first live recruiting period of July. There are AAU tournaments going on all weekend. I'll try and post where coaches are watching throughout the weekend and post highlights/stats of main Iowa targets/commits. Tournaments:

3SSB (Adidas): Rock Hill, SC-- Pryce Sandfort, Jack McCaffery, Boden Kapke (D1 Minnesota); Cooper Koch, Travis Perry, Raleigh Burgess, JQ Roberts (Indiana Elite), Miles Heide (Elite Sports)

UAA: Atlanta, GA-- JP Estrella (Middlesex Magic), Carey Booth (KC Run GMC)

Best of the South (NY2LA): Atlanta, GA-- Owen Freeman, Brock Harding (MidPro)

Nike EYBL: Kansas City-- TJ Power (BABC)

Thanks for the info. I don't follow recruiting closely, so I appreciate your sharing.

Estrella and Powers seem pretty similar, but Iowa seems to have a better shot at Powers. Does that sound correct?

What is the word on Jack Mac?

Reactions: skydog0784
Thanks for the info. I don't follow recruiting closely, so I appreciate your sharing.

Estrella and Powers seem pretty similar, but Iowa seems to have a better shot at Powers. Does that sound correct?

What is the word on Jack Mac?
Estrella is more of a center and Power is more of a stretch 4, but they have been similar recruiting trajectories in that Iowa got in early and they've since gotten more attention. Power's being recruited heavily by Indiana and Virginia, but who knows who else gets involved this month.

Jack is still so young that I haven't heard or seen much on him, but he's already 6'8. He's playing AAU with D1 Minnesota. I'd imagine that we will start seeing more clips and hearing more come this winter when most of the '23 class is committed and the focus shifts to '24 and '25 classes.

McCaffery and the staff are stretched pretty thin this time of year. Even his detractors can't claim he isn't one of the hardest working recruiters. Iowa may never land many of these five stars, but it won't be for the lack of effort.
Thanks for all these updates, guys. Really appreciated!

Last edited:
Fran has also watched another JP Estrella game and a Carey Booth game this morning. He's been at UAA in Atlanta all day after being in South Carolina to watch Pryce yesterday.

Reactions: perryhawk
McCaffery and the staff are stretched pretty thin this time of year. Even his detractors can't claim he is one of the hardest working recruiters. Iowa may never land many of these five stars, but it won't be for the lack of effort.
Thanks for all these updates, guys. Really appreciated!
There’s not a single Big Ten coach who isn’t a hard working recruiter. League is full of good coaches and good recruiters. McCaffery is one of them.

There’s not a single Big Ten coach who isn’t a hard working recruiter. League is full of good coaches and good recruiters. McCaffery is one of them.
But is it usually the head coach front and center on key recruits? Are they logging the hours and miles to land recruits? We've had head coaches in the past that mostly met with recruits when they were on campus.

Notable. First new power 6 offer since January for Roberts. Seemed like most schools had backed off in the past couple months. Will be curious to see if Iowa reengages.

Reactions: perryhawk
But is it usually the head coach front and center on key recruits? Are they logging the hours and miles to land recruits? We've had head coaches in the past that mostly met with recruits when they were on campus.
Where are the recruiting results to date from those efforts? As tired as people are in seeing that, they are equally as tired with the "but he's a good boy and works HARD!" routine. Neither of us are wrong though.

The NEXT LEVEL of recruits, which will theoretically mean ACTUAL NCAA tourney results is what is needed, and that hasn't happened yet even with all of this hard work. That doesn't mean it won't, nor does that mean Fran is going to stop trying his hardest.

Land Pryce and JP, and this class actually looks like it may take that next step. A Pryce/Freeman/Brock is no slouch class on its own either, but not sure that enough to qualify as taking a step forward.

• Wow
Reactions: BBHawk
A pest on defense?

What? ;)
Where are the recruiting results to date from those efforts? As tired as people are in seeing that, they are equally as tired with the "but he's a good boy and works HARD!" routine. Neither of us are wrong though.

The NEXT LEVEL of recruits, which will theoretically mean ACTUAL NCAA tourney results is what is needed, and that hasn't happened yet even with all of this hard work. That doesn't mean it won't, nor does that mean Fran is going to stop trying his hardest.

Land Pryce and JP, and this class actually looks like it may take that next step. A Pryce/Freeman/Brock is no slouch class on its own either, but not sure that enough to qualify as taking a step forward.
I think a class of Freeman, Brock, Pryce, Power and either JP or Kapke would knock it out of the park. Always keep my fingers crossed. I think we have a legitimate shot at Power and I have heard JP 's mom was a big fan of Luka and his career path at Iowa. You can always dream.

I think a class of Freeman, Brock, Pryce, Power and either JP or Kapke would knock it out of the park. Always keep my fingers crossed. I think we have a legitimate shot at Power and I have heard JP 's mom was a big fan of Luka and his career path at Iowa. You can always dream.
totally agree on that class being a huge step up, but that's a HUGE jump from where it currently stands with Freeman and Brock, then Pryce a good possibility, then the others all being longshots.

Notable. First new power 6 offer since January for Roberts. Seemed like most schools had backed off in the past couple months. Will be curious to see if Iowa reengages.
Roberts got a Vanderbilt offer today as well. I hope this doesn’t end up like the OG Anunoby recruitment all over again, where the Iowa staff identifies a talented prospect early but then fails to prioritize him, only to later lose out on him when his stock skyrockets.

ADVERTISEMENT