ADVERTISEMENT

Jun 22 Carton update: Kansas (especially), Duke & N Car are on his mind; decision sometime in Sep?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
UPDATE: Nice article posted today, June 23, by Tom Kakert: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/carton-looking-for-right-fit-for-his-future

In addition, posted on June 22 on HawkCentral is a nice article with tons of info/updates. DJ was playing in an event on Friday, June 22 and afterwards, as you will see, there was a video interview of DJ, where he gives updates on his recruitment. There are also video highlights of him from that event.

But when I read the article, it really makes me wonder if last season's flop is going to hurt Iowa in the end here. As you will see, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas (especially) are on his mind because, and I quote, "they all do one thing; they win."

It's crazy; sexual assaults at Kansas? Doesn't matter. Academic fraud at North Carolina? Doesn't matter. Wins are all that matter, apparently.

Take a read and take a listen to DJ. Thoughts?

Some excerpts:

Contrary to rumors that have been spreading online, Carton has maintained his recruitment is still wide open. He said his relationship with the Hawkeyes is strong, and that he's become quite close with Iowa recruit Patrick McCaffery this offseason.

"I talk to Pat almost on a daily basis, he’s become one of my really good friends," Carton said. "Throughout the USA Trials and NBA Top 100, I’ve been with him a lot. I’ve gotten to know him really well, and I’ve gotten to know his family. I’ve gotten to know Coach (Fran) McCaffery really well. I’ve known them for a long time, but just talking with them on a daily basis — it’s connecting me more with Iowa."

Wichita State is the latest power program to express interest in Carton, he said. The Shockers reached out to him and his coaches this week.

Duke and North Carolina haven't contacted Carton, but they've told people within his circle that they'll watch him play during the July evaluation periods. Kansas head coach Bill Self has remained in contact with and recruited Carton since coaching him at the U18 National Team Trials.

"Out of those schools, they all do one thing: They win," Carton told the Register of the new programs looking at him. "They help you get to your future. They’re all great academic schools. That’s definitely something to look into. I feel like I have high interest for those types of universities, so it’s definitely something that will spark my interest."

Carton said he's "most definitely" interested in visiting the newer schools showing interest. He also reiterated that he wants to visit each of the six schools on the list he released this spring: Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa, Xavier and Marquette.

He's got official visits lined up next week with Michigan and Indiana. After those, Carton said he likely won't go on any visits until late August or September. Carton's dad told the Register his son will likely participate in Chris Paul's Rising Stars Camp in Greensboro, North Carolina, on August 10-12.

Of the new schools reaching out, Carton has had the most contact with Kansas — particularly with Self. Carton said Self has told him he likes his game and feels like it would fit in Lawrence.

"So, I’ll just keep going throughout the process and see where (the Kansas interest) goes," Carton said. "(Self) gave me a lot of wisdom on and off the court. He helped me become a better point guard, smarter point guard, better leader. And he did this all by being hard on me. He had high expectations for me and that’s what makes a player great — having high expectations and trying to live up to them."

THE FULL STORY PLUS VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS/INTERVIEW: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...olina-kansas-bill-self-third-visit/723399002/

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkhorn
Man, that article doesn’t feel to encouraging. Sick of most of the 5 Star talent leaving the state.
would suck to lose a highly ranked Iowa kid 2 years in a row (Carton in 2019; Foster in 2020)

I do think that Fran's lack of success in his 8 years is a contributing factor; wining matters to DJ and Duke, N Carolina, Kansas and Michigan simply win (and they have very good coaches)

the article makes me wonder IF he gets offered by Kansas (and IF he would likely be the starter), that is where he will go

Last edited:
Looking at the NBA draft results, being a college senior is the kiss of death to the pros. Infact, being older than a sophomore is strike again your resume. Cook will turn pro next year regardless if he is fully ready. Bet money on it.
I am for DJ but how can anyone with an ounce of moral soul join Kansas, kentucky, Duke, UNC, or Louisville programs without being bought. Those programs have sold their souls to be where they are and their coaches reflect those value. John Wooden would be mortified to see the game so polluted with scammers.

I cannot watch the NBA game (except for later playoffs games). All the players have ugly a$$ tattoos and very few look like they could do any common man's job outside of basketball. Education and top 25 MBB is a serious joke among the top tier talent. Pass 'em thru.

Back to DJ. I still hold some hope he will choose Iowa. There are only so many championship winners. DJ's talents means he probably will try an evaluation after his sophomore year and if he returns afterwards, he go to the draft as a junior. Fran has done a better than average job at Iowa ( better than ALLFRAUD and LickedLighter). If Iowa doesn't land DJ, I believe Foster won't come and maybe Fran is on a hotseat. I am not impressed with the recruiting talents of Iowa's assistant coaches. Getting Iowa kids to Iowa City should not be that hard. Never a big fan of Andrew Francis. Our assistant coaches make Iowa look like a retirement home for older coaches who cannot wait for the early bird special at the Village Inn. Nobody's going anywhere to advance their career resume or be a head coach. Maybe a new HC is what Iowa needs if these guys cannot get out and recruit and coach winning basketball.

Reactions: amahawk
There’s a reason Kansas, Duke, UNC, UK, etc. are who they are and Iowa is who we are. In athletics crimes pay and doing it the right way means falling behind.

The minute Carton’s notoriety went up, is the same minute Fran needed to work plan B,C or D at PG.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
As dirty as Wooden's teams were they would make today's programs look like innocent bystanders.

John Wooden by all accounts was a wonderful man but the difference is UCLA’s booster cheating was not the “norm” back then putting his team’s at a huge advantage. I think the “norm” back then may have getting players into school that academically had no business being there.

Fran had these that he developed
Unrankec 3* Marble as a SR 1st Team All BT, 2nd round NBA Pick. made the roster, had his career cut short due to a eye injury that required surgery
Unranked 3* White 1st Team All BT, 2nd round NBA Pick. was placed over seas to work on his outside shot. now is one of the Highest paid players in Europe.
3* by Rivals Top 100 4* by ESPN Uthoff 1st Team All BT and 2nd team AA. currently in the D League
Unranked 3* Jok 1st Team All BT currently in the D League .
both Jok and Uthoff have gotten 15 day contracts with Uthoff getting a extension to the end of the season contract with the Dallas Mavericks

Fran has done a pretty good job with players he has gotten it will be interesting to see what he does with higher rated recruits.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Unrankec 3* Marble as a SR 1st Team All BT, 2nd round NBA Pick. made the roster, had his career cut short due to a eye injury that required surgery
Unranked 3* White 1st Team All BT, 2nd round NBA Pick. was placed over seas to work on his outside shot. now is one of the Highest paid players in Europe.
3* by Rivals Top 100 4* by ESPN Uthoff 1st Team All BT and 2nd team AA. currently in the D League
both Jok and Uthoff have gotten 15 day contracts with Uthoff getting a extension to the end of the season contract with the Dallas Mavericks

Fran has done a pretty good job with players he has gotten it will be interesting to see what he does with higher rated recruits.

White is nowhere near one of the highest paid players in Europe.

There is no such thing as a 15 day NBA contract....they are 10 day contracts.

And Peter Jok has never signed one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can you post the link on the 15 day contract Jok received? Uthoff received two 10 day contracts playing in 9 games with the Mavs in 2016, traded to Houston and waived. Not played in the NBA since.

White is nowhere near one of the highest paid players in Europe.

There is no such thing as a 15 day NBA contract....they are 10 day contracts.

And Peter Jok has never signed one.

Holy shit are you stupid.
PROVE IT. 10 day or 15 day who cares as I don't care about the NBA. it is getting to the point where it is full over paid players that didn't go to class. unlike years ago.

ps legend talk to yourself on ignore as I am tired of your personal attacks and name calling.

Last edited:
PROVE IT. 10 day or 15 day who cares as I don't care about the NBA. it is getting to the point where it is full over paid players that didn't go to class. unlike years ago.

What does going to class have to do with the NBA?

Also you post a lot of inaccurate information for a guy who is hanging his hat on ‘going to class’. Not exactly reinforcing the merits of an education.

The programs mentioned as "doing one thing--winning" do that one thing because they get the best players. So if you apply some basic logic, when the best players go to Iowa, then Iowa will do that one thing too--they'll win. Iowa has done it before and would do it again. All it takes is the players. So if Carton (and Foster) want to win, Join Pat Mc and Joe W and Tyler C and company in Iowa City and, voila, Iowa is right there with Kansas, North Carolina, Louisville and the other "winners." But there would be one significant difference: Iowa wouldn't have cheated to get there.

BTW: Should Iowa one day have Carton, Foster, Pat Mc, and Weiskamp on the court at the same time, that would be quite a statement about high school basketball in Iowa. It would be awesome for the Hawkeyes to have that kind of homegrown talent.

How do you breathe on your own? There have never been 15 day contracts in the league nor has Jok ever played in an NBA regular season game.
You need to be banned again.

If the quotes in the article are actually what Carton said then he is gone once one of those blue bloods offer him. He said as much.

If the quotes in the article are actually what Carton said then he is gone once one of those blue bloods offer him. He said as much.

No. He didn’t say that.

Neither this kid nor his family has their hands out. If he feels comfortable with the coaching staff and players, and they can convince him that they’ll win, the close-to-home element will push Iowa over the top.

Self is a HOF player’s coach and a very, very smooth operator when it comes to recruiting. And yes, all he does is win. Kansas worries me the most, to be honest.

Still... I think he’s a Hawkeye and I really don’t think it will be that close when it’s all said and done. Same for Foster.

Smile. There’s going to be some genuinely high level basketball in IC for a change.

Looking at the NBA draft results, being a college senior is the kiss of death to the pros. Infact, being older than a sophomore is strike again your resume. Cook will turn pro next year regardless if he is fully ready. Bet money on it.
I am for DJ but how can anyone with an ounce of moral soul join Kansas, kentucky, Duke, UNC, or Louisville programs without being bought. Those programs have sold their souls to be where they are and their coaches reflect those value. John Wooden would be mortified to see the game so polluted with scammers.

I cannot watch the NBA game (except for later playoffs games). All the players have ugly a$$ tattoos and very few look like they could do any common man's job outside of basketball. Education and top 25 MBB is a serious joke among the top tier talent. Pass 'em thru.

Back to DJ. I still hold some hope he will choose Iowa. There are only so many championship winners. DJ's talents means he probably will try an evaluation after his sophomore year and if he returns afterwards, he go to the draft as a junior. Fran has done a better than average job at Iowa ( better than ALLFRAUD and LickedLighter). If Iowa doesn't land DJ, I believe Foster won't come and maybe Fran is on a hotseat. I am not impressed with the recruiting talents of Iowa's assistant coaches. Getting Iowa kids to Iowa City should not be that hard. Never a big fan of Andrew Francis. Our assistant coaches make Iowa look like a retirement home for older coaches who cannot wait for the early bird special at the Village Inn. Nobody's going anywhere to advance their career resume or be a head coach. Maybe a new HC is what Iowa needs if these guys cannot get out and recruit and coach winning basketball.

Nba teams don't care if you're a senior or not.

Players with nba talent don't wait until they are seniors to get paid.

Players without nba talent stick around 4 years.

Cook won't increase his odds of being drafted by leaving early. Not saying he wont leave early or be drafted but he wont be drafted higher simply by leaving early. For instance, Marble and White were second round picks as seniors, they would not have been drafted as Juniors.

I definitely wouldn't rule Iowa out of the mix for Carton's services. The kid is enjoying the recruiting process and you only get once change to do this so make the right decision for YOU.

Reactions: Hawksfor3

If the biggest criticism of your post is that you were wrong on the contract for Jok then you are doing okay. Some people aren't happy unless they are making other people unhappy. Your point is well made.

Great interview with Carton from Rob Howe. Hawk fans will appreciate a lot of what he had to say. Here’s a key quote:

Q. I think outsiders think they know where you’re going but it seems like you’re still trying to figure out which place is best for you. Is that the case?

DJC: I’ve seen articles before saying that I already know where I want to go. My mom showed me one about me not going to the Hawkeyes. I have them on my Top 6 list for a reason. If I knew where I wanted to go, I’d commit already or I’d have a Top 2 or Top 3. All six of these teams, they interest me. I’m just trying to find ways to have each one separate itself and find which one best fits me and my family.
https://www.hawkeyenation.com/recruiting/one-one-d-j-carton-video-interview-transcript

Thank you for linking the HawkCentral articles. It’d be impossible to find them othwerwise.

tenor.gif

ps legend talk to yourself on ignore as I am tired of your personal attacks and name calling.
Herby!!

I have a whole lot of tattoos and I have a "common man's job." Actually, a really damn good job. Get this, they even put me in charge of people at said job...

Anyways....not landing DJ definitely sets a recruiting precedence; I would think its safe to say if they don't get him, Foster definitely isn't coming.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
Kansas has Charlie Moore who will start next year. Maybe. That is because they also have a commitment from one of the top PGs in the country out of Illinois. Billy didn't select DJ for his elite team. I highly doubt there is any chance KU is in the picture...

Others? Once(IF) their top picks fall through, then an offer to DJ may come.

Still very surprised that none of them have offered yet...? Seems odd. Does it not??

UPDATE: Nice article posted today, June 23, by Tom Kakert: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/carton-looking-for-right-fit-for-his-future

In addition, posted on June 22 on HawkCentral is a nice article with tons of info/updates. DJ was playing in an event on Friday, June 22 and afterwards, as you will see, there was a video interview of DJ, where he gives updates on his recruitment. There are also video highlights of him from that event.

But when I read the article, it really makes me wonder if last season's flop is going to hurt Iowa in the end here. As you will see, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas (especially) are on his mind because, and I quote, "they all do one thing; they win."

It's crazy; sexual assaults at Kansas? Doesn't matter. Academic fraud at North Carolina? Doesn't matter. Wins are all that matter, apparently.

Take a read and take a listen to DJ. Thoughts?

Some excerpts:

Contrary to rumors that have been spreading online, Carton has maintained his recruitment is still wide open. He said his relationship with the Hawkeyes is strong, and that he's become quite close with Iowa recruit Patrick McCaffery this offseason.

"I talk to Pat almost on a daily basis, he’s become one of my really good friends," Carton said. "Throughout the USA Trials and NBA Top 100, I’ve been with him a lot. I’ve gotten to know him really well, and I’ve gotten to know his family. I’ve gotten to know Coach (Fran) McCaffery really well. I’ve known them for a long time, but just talking with them on a daily basis — it’s connecting me more with Iowa."

Wichita State is the latest power program to express interest in Carton, he said. The Shockers reached out to him and his coaches this week.

Duke and North Carolina haven't contacted Carton, but they've told people within his circle that they'll watch him play during the July evaluation periods. Kansas head coach Bill Self has remained in contact with and recruited Carton since coaching him at the U18 National Team Trials.

"Out of those schools, they all do one thing: They win," Carton told the Register of the new programs looking at him. "They help you get to your future. They’re all great academic schools. That’s definitely something to look into. I feel like I have high interest for those types of universities, so it’s definitely something that will spark my interest."

Carton said he's "most definitely" interested in visiting the newer schools showing interest. He also reiterated that he wants to visit each of the six schools on the list he released this spring: Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa, Xavier and Marquette.

He's got official visits lined up next week with Michigan and Indiana. After those, Carton said he likely won't go on any visits until late August or September. Carton's dad told the Register his son will likely participate in Chris Paul's Rising Stars Camp in Greensboro, North Carolina, on August 10-12.

Of the new schools reaching out, Carton has had the most contact with Kansas — particularly with Self. Carton said Self has told him he likes his game and feels like it would fit in Lawrence.

"So, I’ll just keep going throughout the process and see where (the Kansas interest) goes," Carton said. "(Self) gave me a lot of wisdom on and off the court. He helped me become a better point guard, smarter point guard, better leader. And he did this all by being hard on me. He had high expectations for me and that’s what makes a player great — having high expectations and trying to live up to them."

THE FULL STORY PLUS VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS/INTERVIEW: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...olina-kansas-bill-self-third-visit/723399002/

Reactions: mpgrandpa
As dirty as Wooden's teams were they would make today's programs look like innocent bystanders.
I don't think so. Sam Gilbert paid for abortions for players girlfriends. Bought them cars,clothes and gave them cash. That's pretty dirty in my opinion..

John Wooden by all accounts was a wonderful man but the difference is UCLA’s booster cheating was not the “norm” back then putting his team’s at a huge advantage. I think the “norm” back then may have getting players into school that academically had no business being there.
Wooden knew what was going on. He never won anything until Gilbert became involved..

Wooden knew what was going on. He never won anything until Gilbert became involved..

I realize he knew what was going on. He hated it but never did any “self reporting”. Just turned a blind eye towards it.

Maury John took some under appreciated, under-sized Midwestern kids... started a 6'6" center... and it still took a referee swallowing his whistle for UCLA to beat Drake. The "genius" of Wooden was his ability to look clean from a distance. There have been many coaches (Maury being among them) who could have had sensational results with his well paid talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT