ADVERTISEMENT

June 6th

Heard on the radio yesterday that a 95 year old USA D-Day vet made the trip to France - but he was the only one.

Reactions: mnole03 and goldmom
I cant imagine doing that.

Did you have any sons or grandsons that were there?
giphy.gif

My last uncle passed away this week. He was with the follow up troops and participated in the Battle of the Bulge as a Sherman tank driver. (Because he knew how to drive a tractor:)

Surprised The Longest Day doesn't appear to be on today.

Those of us who had grandfathers,
fathers, uncles who took part in D-Day,
and returned home alive after the
war......can be thankful today.

By the grace of God, our relatives who
survived WWII, are also a reminder of
the young men who returned to their
families and communities to make our
nation a better place.

Reactions: goldmom and h-hawk
Russia was invaded by Germany.

there were those who were pressing for an earlier landing in France. By the time of D-Day German losses on the Eastern Front exceeded 4,000,000. Pushing back a potential invasion was vital for wearing down the German Army.

My dad was boarding a “ liberty ship” on 6/6/44....he had just completed flying 50 combat missions as a B-24 pilot out of southern Italy on 5/30/44.... A two week cruise back to Philadelphia from Naples, I believe....and after that “cruise” he never had a desire to cruise again! Ship full of sick GIs, card games ( he never cared for) p, terrible food and the fresh smell of human vomit every day!
He ended up assigned to Las Vegas, where for two weeks, he was the first overseas pilot to be stationed there...for two weeks he never had to by a meal or a drink.....and then, in his words, “ the other bastards came home and ruined it for me.” ;)
Those beaches of Normandy are a special place for all of mankind. The French have done a wonderful job maintaining the atmosphere....and their love for the American is as strong as ever there.

My dad was boarding a “ liberty ship” on 6/6/44....he had just completed flying 50 combat missions as a B-24 pilot out of southern Italy on 5/30/44.... A two week cruise back to Philadelphia from Naples, I believe....and after that “cruise” he never had a desire to cruise again! Ship full of sick GIs, card games ( he never cared for) p, terrible food and the fresh smell of human vomit every day!
He ended up assigned to Las Vegas, where for two weeks, he was the first overseas pilot to be stationed there...for two weeks he never had to by a meal or a drink.....and then, in his words, “ the other bastards came home and ruined it for me.” ;)
Those beaches of Normandy are a special place for all of mankind. The French have done a wonderful job maintaining the atmosphere....and their love for the American is as strong as ever there.
Great story - thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Nipigu
Wow
A pearl harbor happens and we’d just do nothing.

....kinda like how Russia attacked our election and Trump's pals wouldn't maintain any sanctions (only reason he DID, was because Congress put up a veto-proof vote)

So, yeah...if China bombed Pearl Harbor, and Trump had his trademarks and clothing lines and hotel plans for China, I think this is about what we'd see happen.

I had a chance to visit Normandy a few years ago. Nobody who has a chance to do that should miss it. Amazing to stand there and imagine what it must have been like. I couldn't.
Huh. With your imagination? Now that’s saying something.

I had a chance to visit Normandy a few years ago. Nobody who has a chance to do that should miss it. Amazing to stand there and imagine what it must have been like. I couldn't.
This and Arlington Cemetery both are amazing to visit and think of sacrifice.

Reactions: Nipigu
When our family visited Arlington
National Cemetery, we saw the
changing of the guard at the tomb
of the unknown soldier. There was
absolute silence as a small crowd
looked on. Something you never forget.

Reactions: runkpanole

These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Someday you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn to be
Brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering
As the battle raged high
And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell and
The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But it's written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms

This and Arlington Cemetery both are amazing to visit and think of sacrifice.
I visited Arlington with a National Guard group and had a chance to spend some time in the quarters where the guards assigned to the unknown soldier prepare.

he lost a couple of fingers, or maybe just one, and they had to always shoot around that on Star Trek. Not sure if they talked amputations in the TOS but in later series lost limbs could just be regenerated.
He lost one finger, and the producers didn't want to have got explain it. Only in a select few scenes can you see that his hand is missing a finger. In all scenes he was scripted to be carrying something, or be shot in a certain way to avoid seeing his hand.

Reactions: preshlock
Mrs. Lucas and I went to a wedding in Toledo last fall, and on our trip back we took the week off to visit people, and do some hiking. As we drove through Dayton we pulled off the interstate and went to the Air Force museum adjacent to one of the auxiliary fields of Wright Patterson. It's an amazing museum. In the WW2 portion there is a glider hanging from the celling. It was stunning to look at that little, flimsy thing and think about her grandfather who crash landed into Normandy in the hours before the seaborne forces hit the beaches.

ADVERTISEMENT