ADVERTISEMENT

Junior duals

I agree. Fellers was spot on. He criticized others for making excuses in 2019 and now he makes excuses...but it’s different this time of course because only his excuses are legitimate.
And one could argue that Illinois was actually at an advantage because they had not occurred the wear and tear from a high school season. Our kids most likely had not had more than a week off in the last 8 months.

Depends on perspective. Bottom line, our Iowa kids kicked everyone's asses. Make excuses if he or anyone else wants, just make sure your boys are ready next year and prove your point or you are gonna be eating a lot of crow!

And one could argue that Illinois was actually at an advantage because they had not occurred the wear and tear from a high school season. Our kids most likely had not had more than a week off in the last 8 months.

Depends on perspective. Bottom line, our Iowa kids kicked everyone's asses. Make excuses if he or anyone else wants, just make sure your boys are ready next year and prove your point or you are gonna be eating a lot of crow!

The Iowa High school season has been over for four months and I highly doubt there has been 8 months of peak training without breaks in workload. That’s 8 months of getting better, not of being ground down.

Not saying this dude is legit—quite the opposite—but I do not think one could successfully argue what you tired to.

Reactions: crablegs1
The Iowa High school season has been over for four months and I highly doubt there has been 8 months of peak training without breaks in workload. That’s 8 months of getting better, not of being ground down.

Not saying this dude is legit—quite the opposite—but I do not think one could successfully argue what you tired to.
The high school season transitions almost immediately into freestyle. I know (emphasis on know...not being that guy just saying i know for certain) a few of the top clubs in our state (some of the ones receiving a lot of credit for our resurgence) took a week break upon the completion of the season before starting freestyle practices. That doesn't mean the athletes themselves didn't build in their own breaks. But those clubs only shut down for a week.

Now your comment about peak training is an entirely different subject altogether. I never claimed 8 months of peak training. I would agree they haven't been doing that. Lol.

Freestyle tournaments were begining in early April. Which would give roughly a month and half between the completion of the high school season and the beginning of competition in freestyle. Kids can build their breaks as needed from there. But a month and a half isn't a lot of transition time unless you are going to wait until later in the season and get less matches. I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just seams like maybe you are refuting a point just to play devil's advocate.

I know illinois is very organized. I do find it amazing though that Texas, and Minny, and even North Dakota can send 2 teams, but Illinois doesn't. Iowa did a pretty good job this year of getting the best kids to wrestle this year and the results speak for themselves.

I think this was largely driven by the kids themselves. Ayala decided to in the last minute. I believe one of them (Rathjen I think) started a group chat which snowballed into “let’s do this thing.” We were missing a few solid contributors like a Garvin, Lisbon kids, Taylor, Tate N etc.

Good for team Iowa, they got their best kids to go and it paid off. And our “best kids” are as good as they’ve been in a while. Not sure why Illinois or anyone else needs to make excuses, it’s pretty clear if you look up the track profiles what teams are loaded and what states punted. Likewise, I don’t think anyone from Iowa is going to be pissed if PA runs away with the Disney Duals because our studs went to Tulsa. We won’t really know for sure until we take a look at an All-American heat map n a few years to see what states are producing the most. I like Iowa’s trajectory.

Reactions: TarpHawk
The high school season transitions almost immediately into freestyle. I know (emphasis on know...not being that guy just saying i know for certain) a few of the top clubs in our state (some of the ones receiving a lot of credit for our resurgence) took a week break upon the completion of the season before starting freestyle practices. That doesn't mean the athletes themselves didn't build in their own breaks. But those clubs only shut down for a week.

Now your comment about peak training is an entirely different subject altogether. I never claimed 8 months of peak training. I would agree they haven't been doing that. Lol.

Freestyle tournaments were begining in early April. Which would give roughly a month and half between the completion of the high school season and the beginning of competition in freestyle. Kids can build their breaks as needed from there. But a month and a half isn't a lot of transition time unless you are going to wait until later in the season and get less matches. I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just seams like maybe you are refuting a point just to play devil's advocate.

But they don't go at breakneck daily pace at the freestyle practices. Ask any given wrestler with Team Iowa whether they are a better wrester today than they were 8 months ago, the answer about being better today would be unanimous.

But they don't go at breakneck daily pace at the freestyle practices. Ask any given wrestler with Team Iowa whether they are a better wrester today than they were 8 months ago, the answer about being better today would be unanimous.
The answer would be yes. Semantics Spooner. Not once did I say they are training their asses off everyday like they did during the folkstyle season. But haben been to a few of these club practices I can verify they are working hard and still keeping their conditioning.

But you want the point, have it. It's yours. Lol

The answer would be yes. Semantics Spooner. Not once did I say they are training their asses off everyday like they did during the folkstyle season. But haben been to a few of these club practices I can verify they are working hard and still keeping their conditioning.

But you want the point, have it. It's yours. Lol

It’s not about wanting anything. In your post you stated it could be argued Illinois was better off not having a HS season. It’s copied below. I have no idea how that could be argued, especially after you agreed that the Iowa kids are better now than 8 months ago.

Definitely out of character for Medlin. One of the most respected coaches in the business. I'd give him a mulligan.
I tend to agree, but whom/whether we decide to grant a mulligan says more about us and our allegiances/beliefs than whether they "deserve" it. Jump on one guy, give the next a mulligan. Most people on reactive/impulsive social media need about 500 mulligans in their lifetime it seems. Thankfully for them, very few remember what was said or typed yesterday. No need to think first anymore.

I have know this guy for years and he is not a dbag, clown, or a fool. The post seems a bit out of character for him - that I will admit, but every program would love to have him on their staff. Ask Dan Dennis or Warner what they think of the guy. Lets try not to judge someone by a single post.

That's just one of the problems with social media. A guy who has done a lot of good things comes off like a petty crybaby.

I know nothing of what he has done but I know he was a horse's arse for posting what he did about a team of HS kids.

Be the adult coach.

It’s not about wanting anything. In your post you stated it could be argued Illinois was better off not having a HS season. It’s copied below. I have no idea how that could be argued, especially after you agreed that the Iowa kids are better now than 8 months ago.
Easy Spooner, in your athletic experience did you perform better rested or worn down? Any nagging injury would cause you to not be wrestling your best. Nagging injuries often occur throughout a long grinding season.

But I'm out on this discussion. Perspective or whoever holds the chalk last. I am putting it down. It's all yours.

Easy Spooner, in your athletic experience did you perform better rested or worn down? Any nagging injury would cause you to not be wrestling your best. Nagging injuries often occur throughout a long grinding season.

But I'm out on this discussion. Perspective or whoever holds the chalk last. I am putting it down. It's all yours.

You know what would really help with that? Don’t have a season or even practice. No nagging injuries and everyone would be super fresh and at their absolute best.

Reactions: hlstone
Iowa should have a good shot at repeating junior duals if most the guys show up. We even have some depth.
100 Carter Pearson
106 Dru Ayala
113 Jake Night/?
120Carter Freeman/Kale Peterson
126 Nate Jesaruga
132 Gable Porter/Frost
138 Ryder Block/Frost
145 Joel Jesarugoa/Barnes
152 Hunter Garvin
160 Aiden Riggins
170 Nick Fox/Hayden Taylor
182 Tate Naaktgeboren/Griffen Gammel
195 Voelker/Franklin/Hagerty
215 Ben Keuter
HWT Jake Walker/Easton Fleshman

Iowa should have a good shot at repeating junior duals if most the guys show up. We even have some depth.
100 Carter Pearson
106 Dru Ayala
113 Jake Night/?
120Carter Freeman/Kale Peterson
126 Nate Jesaruga
132 Gable Porter/Frost
138 Ryder Block/Frost
145 Joel Jesarugoa/Barnes
152 Hunter Garvin
160 Aiden Riggins
170 Nick Fox/Hayden Taylor
182 Tate Naaktgeboren/Griffen Gammel
195 Voelker/Franklin/Hagerty
215 Ben Keuter
HWT Jake Walker/Easton Fleshman
This is a f*n event and a really solid lineup. Last years matchup with Cali was great. It’s cool these teams are able to get so many elite kids to commit to the event .

Reactions: el dub
I'm sure Gammell won't wrestle as he's been injured. I'd expect Freeman and Jesuroga to flip flop weights and also add Trever Anderson in the mix at 120 to get some matches, and is Knight a Junior? I know he's pushing 16 or will be shorty as an incoming Freshman. I'd be surprised if Taylor is on the roster and Heistand's gotta be in there to get some matches at 145/152?

I'm sure Gammell won't wrestle as he's been injured. I'd expect Freeman and Jesuroga to flip flop weights and also add Trever Anderson in the mix at 120 to get some matches, and is Knight a Junior? I know he's pushing 16 or will be shorty as an incoming Freshman. I'd be surprised if Taylor is on the roster and Heistand's gotta be in there to get some matches at 145/152?
You can be a 16U guy and wrestle juniors. Dru Ayala did it last year. Pretty common in lower weights. Iowa has some serious depth right now.
100 Carter Pearson
106 Dru Ayala, Jace Hedeman
113 Kade Blume/Jake Night
120 Nate Jesuroga, Trevor Anderson, Kale Peterson
126 Gable Porter, Carter Freeman
132 Evan Frost
138 Ryder Block, Jacob Frost
145 Joel Jesuroga, Hagen Heistand
152 Hunter Garvin, Ryder Downey, Robert Avila
160 Aiden Riggins, Martinson
170 Nick Fox, Hayden Taylor
182 Tate Naaktgeboren/Gabe Arnold
195 Wyatt Voelker/Kolby Franklin/ McCrae Hagarty
220 Ben Keuter, Bradly Hill
285 Jake Walker, Easton Fleshman, Wyatt Smith

I think that line up would win it again.

You can be a 16U guy and wrestle juniors. Dru Ayala did it last year. Pretty common in lower weights. Iowa has some serious depth right now.
100 Carter Pearson
106 Dru Ayala, Jace Hedeman
113 Kade Blume/Jake Night
120 Nate Jesuroga, Trevor Anderson, Kale Peterson
126 Gable Porter, Carter Freeman
132 Evan Frost
138 Ryder Block, Jacob Frost
145 Joel Jesuroga, Hagen Heistand
152 Hunter Garvin, Ryder Downey, Robert Avila
160 Aiden Riggins, Martinson
170 Nick Fox, Hayden Taylor
182 Tate Naaktgeboren/Gabe Arnold
195 Wyatt Voelker/Kolby Franklin/ McCrae Hagarty
220 Ben Keuter, Bradly Hill
285 Jake Walker, Easton Fleshman, Wyatt Smith

I think that line up would win it again.
Wow, you ain’t kidding, that’s some serious depth.

ADVERTISEMENT