ADVERTISEMENT

Jury: $1.4 Million to Jane Meyer

What a joke. Is this something that can be appealed or eventually lowered?

Was there anything, ANYTHING, in the news coverage that would have led you to believe this outcome was possible? All I ever read was she was a pain in the backside and insubordinate. I read not one sentence that seemed to support her claims. Not disputing the outcome since I didn't hear anything, but geez, is journalism really that bad?

Curious anyone with legal background can U of I appeal or anything? That being said after taxes and legal fees she'll probably walk away with less than half of it in her pocket. Amazing she won but then again if anyone has done jury duty amazing some of the people eligible who get picked. Some not the sharpest tool in the shed.

For those of us less than thrilled with Barta, could this be an excuse to pushow him out the door?

Well here's my plan of action. My wife is pretty unhappy with her boss at work. He's kind of a male chauvinist and she is probably one of the top two or three employees and her office.

Here is my plan:

-divorce wife immediately
- pretend she is gay
- she's going to file a discrimination suit
-profit

1ofxom.jpg

Well here's my plan of action. My wife is pretty unhappy with her boss at work. He's kind of a male chauvinist and she is probably one of the top two or three employees and her office.

Here is my plan:

- pretend she is gay
-profit

Here is my plan:

- pretend she is gay
-profit
Rules..we have rules!

Curious anyone with legal background can U of I appeal or anything? That being said after taxes and legal fees she'll probably walk away with less than half of it in her pocket. Amazing she won but then again if anyone has done jury duty amazing some of the people eligible who get picked. Some not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Not a lawyer, but I've been involved in many unemployment hearings, and in every case...even when we lost.. getting rid of cancerous, problematic employees was a bigger benefit to the company.

U if I should pay the money and be done with it. Barta and staff should learn how to document employee issues. Jane should spend her money wisely, as it might need to last for a while!

Reactions: hawkahawk
When the state is the defendant the jury often spends our tax money like it's water. Deep pockets vs. the little guy is more important than right/wrong or a reasonable number.

Terrehawk wrote:
After yesterday's testimony. This lawsuit is over. Rick Hellers testimony along with two or three female athletic department employees absolutely destroyed her case.
Yep they did. Unfortunately you had some obvious morons on the jury.

I haven't heard one single person throughout this whole ordeal say wow Jane Mayer has a great case and she's going to win

It's actually been the exact opposite. She's a terrible employee and she should have been fired long ago.

But hey, I attacked your corrupt presidents disgusting abuse of the law and you are going to get me for it aren't you

Yep they did. Unfortunately you had some obvious morons on the jury.

I haven't heard one single person throughout this whole ordeal say wow Jane Mayer has a great case and she's going to win

It's actually been the exact opposite. She's a terrible employee and she should have been fired long ago.

But hey, I attacked your corrupt presidents disgusting abuse of the law and you are going to get me for it aren't you
Lol. No. I actually agree with your opinion on what evidence I saw. She certainly looked like a terrible employee to me. But your grasp of how the legal system works and who is to blame.....well, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am a lawyer. A senior partner at a law firm in Des Moines that mainly does defense. All civil work much of which is employment. I did not follow the case super closely. However, I have no clue why the State in a case of this magnitude did not bring in top counsel. Not casting shade on Carroll per se as these attorneys are hamstrung. They are State employees paid the same win or lose. In my experience dealing with them, bankers hours, no weekends, and a reason they work for the State. Dear God, this case is disastrous with the next case coming. How in the hell do you not hire the best for this case? Unreal.

Get mad at U of I legal. This was always a risky move and now they are labeled with gender equity issues. Barta was just following the advice of inhouse council.

Attorneys will get approximately 40%, so not as much as you would think for plaintiffs.

They will get their hourly attorney fees from the UI on top of the award to Meyer. Think $450/hour over two years of work. Won't come out of her pockets.

Reactions: MuskieCy
The case and the next one really will not affect revenue sports. Does anyone think football players and basketball players and wrestlers give a crap? Nope. However, looks bad and makes no sense to have this case lawyer staffed like it was. Since they decided not to settle and knew another case was quick to follow, must go all in for the first case. And they did not. They deserve what happened.

I am not a lawywer, just a court stenographer, and I rarely see the post-trial results, but with a verdict that large, they would almost certainly have to appeal it (more money from transcripts for one of my colleauges somewhere!) , but it is my understanding that the chances of winning on appeal are, at best, 50/50.

So, to make a long story short, they probably will appeal, but it will take a few years, and at the end of they day, it is not all that likely to be much different of a result than what the jury found.

I would also say that fromt he employment cases I've seen in my career, that they are pretty hard to win, and a verdict of this large amount is probably a rare exception. It does have to make you wonder what was going on to cause such a exorbitant verdict. and, yes, the attorneys do get 33% plus expenses, so the plaintiff will evenauly only get about 60% of the 1.4 million.

Don't know how much any of this helps, but this is just what I see from my years in the business.

I am not a lawywer, just a court stenographer, and I rarely see the post-trial results, but with a verdict that large, they would almost certainly have to appeal it (more money from transcripts for one of my colleauges somewhere!) , but it is my understanding that the chances of winning on appeal are, at best, 50/50.

So, to make a long story short, they probably will appeal, but it will take a few years, and at the end of they day, it is not all that likely to be much different of a result than what the jury found.

I would also say that fromt he employment cases I've seen in my career, that they are pretty hard to win, and a verdict of this large amount is probably a rare exception. It does have to make you wonder what was going on to cause such a exorbitant verdict. and, yes, the attorneys do get 33% plus expenses, so the plaintiff will evenauly only get about 60% of the 1.4 million.

Don't know how much any of this helps, but this is just what I see from my years in the business.

Here's my guess:

Settle both, together, quickly.

Barta fired, becomes scapegoat.

AD "cleaned" up for pr reasons.

Again, attorneys will get their pay separately. And not all of the pay has been awarded yet.

If the jury followed the law this is a slam-dunk for the U of I. Meyer was fired following a process where she was insubordinate, reassigned, then let go after there was no more work for her. I think the defense made a clear argument that other LGBT and women employees work there and have been promoted that the U of I does not discriminate. As an at-will employee Meyer has no protections against being fired unless they can prove the U of I discriminated due to her being in a protected class (gender, sexual orientation). I thought the plaintiff frankly did a poor job of linking Meyer's firing in any way to that. It makes you think with this kind of judgement whether there should be a change in the role juries have.

If the jury followed the law this is a slam-dunk for the U of I. Meyer was fired following a process where she was insubordinate, reassigned, then let go after there was no more work for her. I think the defense made a clear argument that other LGBT and women employees work there and have been promoted that the U of I does not discriminate. As an at-will employee Meyer has no protections against being fired unless they can prove the U of I discriminated due to her being in a protected class (gender, sexual orientation). I thought the plaintiff frankly did a poor job of linking Meyer's firing in any way to that. It makes you think with this kind of judgement whether there should be a change in the role juries have.

Did you sit in the trial?

Reactions: millah_22
I don't see how Barta makes it out of this. Apparently her lawyers are looking into suing for $2 million more and have an investigation into the athletic department. They believe this is a landmark case for women's coaches and administrators around the country. The shit show has just begun.

Reactions: iavagabond
So, you all expected jury to vote against 2 lesbians and in favor of bunch of overpaid, incompetent bureaucrats starting with UI President, Barta, etc... LOL. I love UI but absolutely hated UI administrations, all of them.

The problem is that none of this was documented. It turned into a he-said-she-said case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT