ADVERTISEMENT

Just an FYI

NCHawkeye24

HR MVP
Apr 19, 2021
The way I interpret it:

If Illinois loses to Michigan and Purdue, and; (that is if Illinois beats MSU today and they are trailing right now)
Purdue wins out (Illinois, NW, Indiana), and;
Iowa wins out;

Iowa/Illinois/Purdue finish in a 3-way tie at 5-3 and Iowa wins the tiebreaker #2, wins in your division. Iowa 5-1, Illinois and Purdue 4-2.

Just so you know.

Edit: I was wrong. In this scenario Illinois would be tied with Iowa in tiebreaker #2 at 5-1, thus, Illinois wins because of head to head. Illinois will have to lose 2 more times for Iowa to win the west outright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg
The way I interpret it:

If Illinois loses to Michigan and Purdue, and; (that is if Illinois beats MSU today and they are trailing right now)
Iowa wins out;

Iowa/Illinois/Purdue finish in a 3-way tie at 5-3 and Iowa wins the tiebreaker #2, wins in your division. Iowa 5-1, Illinois and Purdue 4-2.

Just so you know.
Way to polish a turd.

In that scenario Illinois would also be 5-1 in the division. They would have losses to 2 East teams (IU and Mich)

Iowa wins out and Illinois loses to Michigan and Purdue, Iowa wins the West.

Agreed. But can we get to Indy with just one more Illannoy loss? Here’s what I think:

Purdue, Iowa, and Illannoy can end 6-3. All 1-1 against each other (pu beats Ill). Ill and Iowa 5-1 in West. Purdue 4-2 (beat Indy last game) or 5-1 (lose to Indy). If former, they drop and we lose head to head with Illannoy. If the latter, then it goes to who did best against 4 place west team. Minny?

Complicated but I think we can get to Indy with just one more Illannoy loss.

The way I interpret it:

Iowa wins out;

Just so you know.
Your end result is correct but your math is wrong. If Illinois loses to Michigan and Purdue, they finish with 4 conference losses, not 3. If we win out in that situation, we win the division, but it's because we would own the tiebreaker with any other team who could still finish with 3 conference losses (i.e. Purdue).

Agreed. But can we get to Indy with just one more Illannoy loss? Here’s what I think:

Purdue, Iowa, and Illannoy can end 6-3. All 1-1 against each other (pu beats Ill). Ill and Iowa 5-1 in West. Purdue 4-2 (beat Indy last game) or 5-1 (lose to Indy). If former, they drop and we lose head to head with Illannoy. If the latter, then it goes to who did best against 4 place west team. Minny?

Complicated but I think we can get to Indy with just one more Illannoy loss.
I don't think we can win the West with just one Illinois loss.

If Purdue loses to Indiana, they have 4 conference losses and aren't a part of that hypothetical tiebreaker anymore. We lose the 3-way tiebreaker to Illinois for the reasons you mentioned.

So, I think it's relatively simple right now. To win the West, Iowa needs to win out and have Illinois lose 2 of their last 3. The only other possibility is some bizarre tiebreaker where multiple teams are tied at the top with 4 losses, which I don't have the patience to figure out right now.

Wouldn’t Illinois have four conference losses? Indiana, MSU, Purdue and Michigan?

Soooo. You guys are hoping for another beatdown from OSU AND as reward a matchup vs TN or Bama in a Florida bowl? There are some sick SOBs on here.
we're masochists, we had to be after the offensive "performances" most of the year

Soooo. You guys are hoping for another beatdown from OSU AND as reward a matchup vs TN or Bama in a Florida bowl? There are some sick SOBs on here.

I don't think we would get either of those teams in a bowl game. OSU, Mich, Penn. St. still ahead of us. Only one, at most, makes the playoffs.

Reactions: AlvySinger
I don't think we would get either of those teams in a bowl game. OSU, Mich, Penn. St. still ahead of us. Only one, at most, makes the playoffs.

Loser of Mich/OSU will go to Rose. PSU to Citrus. Iowa would go to Tampa if they won out, made the championship and lost. They would get the 3rd place SEC team there.

Too much football to be played to speculate right now. Love how the Hawks have played the last 2 games but none of our remaining opponents are going to hand us a W. Winning the the west would mean getting into a bowl game that's over our head this year.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Too much football to be played to speculate right now. Love how the Hawks have played the last 2 games but none of our remaining opponents are going to hand us a W. Winning the the west would mean getting into a bowl game that's over our head this year.
If we won out and finished 8 and 4, regardless of what happened in the Championship game, we would certainly NOT be in over our heads in our bowl game. Simply nonsense.

Absolutely!!!! Plus gives you more opportunities to bitch about the coaches…win-win!!!

200w.gif

Reactions: cmhawks99
The way I interpret it:

Iowa wins out;

Just so you know.
Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT